Windows 10: Reinstalled Windows, Decided to use a Backup drive as Recovery

Discus and support Reinstalled Windows, Decided to use a Backup drive as Recovery in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Lesson learned, don't leave anything else plugged in but your SSD when installing Windows. Is there anyway I can create a volume on this drive and use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Supra, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Supra Win User

Reinstalled Windows, Decided to use a Backup drive as Recovery

Lesson learned, don't leave anything else plugged in but your SSD when installing Windows.

Is there anyway I can create a volume on this drive and use Recuva to recover data?

Reinstalled Windows, Decided to use a Backup drive as Recovery [​IMG]

:)

Supra, Apr 2, 2020

2. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Apr 2, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    Data backup and recovery help thread

We get heaps of threads on this, so lets make a nice organised list of programs people can use for backing up, restoring, and recovering data.

For a quick start to this, some pointers.

1. If you formatted a drive and did NOT write to it, recovery is possible. If you installed any data over it (such as windows, or copying files to it) then you need to restore a backup, or accept that you will have lost some, most, or all of your data.

2. Backups are not perfect - for example, a virus that killed your machine could also be in your backup. try and backup your important data first, not your operating system and useless files - and store it in more than one place if possible (for example, an external hard drive AND on DVD)

Now to the programs:

Free Data recovery software
    Piriform Recuva - Highly recommended by TPU users, myself included.

The following were listed by 95viper in another thread, i dont know if he's reccomending them or just listed them.
    Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier A nice one.*Smile Reinstalled Windows, Decided to use a Backup drive as Recovery :)
    UNDELETE 360
    Free File Recovery 1.1
    Glary Undelete
    UndeletePlus[/QUOTE]

Paid Data recovery software

Free backup/restore software

Paid backup/restore software
    Acronis True Image Home
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 2011 (Paid)[/QUOTE]

please people, help me fill in the blanks so i can request this to get stickied. *Smile Reinstalled Windows, Decided to use a Backup drive as Recovery :)

Mussels, Apr 2, 2020
  4. Romel Ram Win User

Backup vs Recovery Drive

Hi Gene,

We understand that you'd like to know about the Recovery Drive and the
    USB Backup Drive. For us to properly assist you with your concern, kindly send us the screenshot of the following:

• Windows 10 version/build is currently installed on your computer. To check, type
      winver in the search option.
    • Recovery Drive and USB Backup Drive window
    Note: Make sure that there are no personal information included on the screenshot.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Romel Ram, Apr 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Reinstalled Windows, Decided to use a Backup drive as Recovery - Similar Threads - Reinstalled Decided Backup

2. Is it possible to reinstall recovery drive files onto an existing recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to reinstall recovery drive files onto an existing recovery drive?: Last time I used my recovery drive, my PC ran into an error in the second phase which resulted in severely limited options in the bluescreen menu. Attempting to recover from the recovery drive at this point just immediately resulted in an error. In a last ditch effort to fix...
  3. Is it possible to reinstall recovery drive files onto an existing recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to reinstall recovery drive files onto an existing recovery drive?: Last time I used my recovery drive, my PC ran into an error in the second phase which resulted in severely limited options in the bluescreen menu. Attempting to recover from the recovery drive at this point just immediately resulted in an error. In a last ditch effort to fix...
  4. Is it possible to reinstall recovery drive files onto an existing recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Using a recovery drive.

Using a recovery drive.: For a while now I’m trying to recover my Windows 10 Laptop from HP, I made a recovery drive from another Windows 10 Laptop from ACER, I cant find a way to use the recovery drive is there a way?...
  6. Windows decided to unexpectedly reinstall itself this morning.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows decided to unexpectedly reinstall itself this morning.: I recently bulk updated drivers on my PC (Graphics cards, my drawing tablet, my audio devices, just general maintenance) and all went well. This morning Windows showed an option to "update and restart" when I tried to put it to sleep. Thinking I missed an update (was running...
  7. Creating Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media

Creating Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media: Hello. Should I create my USB Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media for my Windows 10 PC when its right out of the box - before the first set of Windows updates?...
  8. Reinstall backup on new hard drive

Reinstall backup on new hard drive: I have been using Windows 10 since you released it free I love the program I had it on my hard drive which I backed up using Norton backup, I purchased a new computer it has Windows 10 home installed on it can I reinstall all my programs and data I have on the old hard drive...
  9. using recovery drive

using recovery drive: Got a virus on 6-year old computer - running Windows 10. Have a new computer -- and have installed Windows 10. I have created a recovery drive from my new computer - and would like to use it to rescue my old computer. I have read all of the instructions - but am wondering...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 7 using Recovery Disks

Reinstalling Windows 7 using Recovery Disks: Here's my situation. Prior to doing my Windows 10 upgrade on my HP Pavillion DVT7 2200 Notebook, I successfully created the 3 Recovery disks. Prior to that I was receiving messages that a hard drive failure is eminent and I should back up my files and replace the hard drive....