Windows 10: Reinstalling Office 365?

Discus and support Reinstalling Office 365? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; My friend's computer has 64-bit Windows 10 on it so I installed 64-bit on the computer; I'd completely forgotten your advice to install the 32-bit... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by RhinoCan, Apr 25, 2017.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Reinstalling Office 365?

My friend's computer has 64-bit Windows 10 on it so I installed 64-bit on the computer; I'd completely forgotten your advice to install the 32-bit version until I came back to this thread to mark it solved. Is that going to be a problem?

By the way, as I've outlined in a post I just added to the forum, I had some issues with installing just the Office parts that she wanted: Word, Outlook and Excel. I couldn't see any options for just those apps so I installed all of Office 365. Could that be because I downloaded the 64-bit version??

RhinoCan, Apr 26, 2017
  2. RhinoCan Win User

I forgot to mention that I removed her McAfee; she was disappointed that it hadn't detected/prevented the malware she picked up. So I removed McAfee (via the McAfee Removal Tool, not by a normal uninstall) and installed Avast Free and ran the Smart Scan, which came up clean. I also installed MalwareBytes and told her to run it whenever she suspected that Avast had not found anything but she still thought there might be a problem. (I warned her to update the MalwareBytes database before she ran the scan.)

I also asked her what store she had used to clean off the virus; it was a local standalone store, not part of a big chain like BestBuy. She said the guy had been here for ages so she figured he'd be okay. I've never dealt with that store so have no idea how good or bad he was.

RhinoCan, Apr 26, 2017
  3. simrick Win User
    It's my understanding that, unless you have a specific need/reason for the 64-bit version, Microsoft recommend installing the 32-bit version of Office. I seem to recall that there are some instances of incompatibilities with 64-bit Office (or something like that). I remember reading on their site to only install the 32-bit version, unless you had a specific reason you needed the 64-bit, as it was not common. I may have even seen that on the page where you download it (can't remember-it's been a while since I've installed it). (FYI: 32-bit programs run on 64-bit systems, but not the other way around.) So, if she starts to have any problems, that may be the culprit.

I don't think your install issue was due to the bit-ness, but could be wrong. I've never tried to install only "parts" of Office, as I need everything.

simrick, Apr 26, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Reinstalling Office 365?

Good that you used the removal tool - that's always the best method. What does that mean "she still thought there might be a problem"?

Well, if you want to do some checks, let me know.

simrick, Apr 26, 2017
  5. RhinoCan Win User
    Sorry, that didn't come across clearly. I was trying to say that I installed MalwareBytes for her as something to run if she ever had any doubts about Avast having found all problems. I explained to her that no anti-malware programs was absolutely 100% accurate in catching all problems every time so that it was a good idea to have something like MalwareBytes for those cases where you had doubts about your main program's success in finding malware: then you could run the second program to verify that nothing had (likely) been missed by the main program. I also told her to not run two such programs at the same time as they can clash: she needed to finish the first program's scan first, then update the database definitions of the second, then run the second to get the best results.

Can you give me the instructions for what you are proposing? Please don't be offended but I'm not comfortable with recommending that she allow you on her computer. I simply don't know you well enough. You seem benevolent enough but I'm cautious enough not to take that at face value.

RhinoCan, Apr 26, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    Oh right - got it. Actually, the best approach is a layered one. Avast is an anti-virus, while MBAM is an anti-malware - two different animals. You are correct that only one scan should be run at a time, but MBAM finds things that an AV won't.

I never suggested a remote session. You don't know me from Adam! *Wink
    But I can make some recommendations for additional one-time scans, although it's always better if you know what you're dealing with, as there are different scans for different infections. But, I could make some general recommendations:

Create a restore point - call it "Begin Scans"

RKILL
    RKill Download
    Download @ Bleeping Computer

ADWCleaner
    Downloads - AdwCleaner - ToolsLib
    Scan, post log, determine what should be cleaned and what should not (system will require a reboot to clean).

JRT
    Junkware Removal Tool Download

ESET Online Scanner
    Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET ESET
    Choose Scan Now.

Create another restore point - call it "Clean"

Open Ccleaner Free and delete any other restore points that remain besides the two you made.

Feel free to post logs if you want an evaluation.

simrick, Apr 26, 2017
  7. RhinoCan Win User
    Exactly. That's what I was trying to say although I did a fairly poor job of it ;-)

Thank you for the list of actionable suggestions Reinstalling Office 365? :)

She told me yesterday that the malware which prompted the whole incident had something to do with Ransomware. I'm not sure of the specifics but she was seeing something about ransomware somewhere on her computer and knew that was very undesireable. She cursed McAfee for letting it get on there, then took it to the local computer store for a cleaning. After she got it home and tried to turn it on, it was initially unresponsive in some way so she texted me for help since the computer wasn't immediately functional. But while I was trying to understand the problem via text, she got it to boot up again and got email functionality back. Then I started to piece together what had happened and started this thread to understand how to get the Office software back on the computer.

Does the ransomware aspect change your recommendations at all? Or should I proceed as you've suggested? She *has* run the Avast Smart Scan and it found nothing except for some performance tweaks. (I chose the free version but it installed the premium version for a 13 day trial anyway!).

RhinoCan, Apr 26, 2017
  8. simrick Win User

Reinstalling Office 365?

Ransomware is a broad category.
    I would go with what I've listed, and if there are no issues in any of the scan logs, then she should be okay.

When you get to ADWCleaner, run SCAN only, grab the log at C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt and post it. Sometimes there are false positives which you may not want to remove with a Clean. Then post the Clean log after it has run. C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Reinstalling Office 365?

1. Reinstalling Office 365? - Similar Threads - Reinstalling Office 365

2. Office 365

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Office 365: I downloaded a file but, when I try to open it I am directed to the Microsoft subscription page. I just purchased my subscription 8 months ago. or it ask me to choose how I want to open it but none of the options work....
  3. office 365

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    office 365: Does the Office 2019 upgrade on windows 10 machine remove the microsoft analysis services? C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140\msolap.dll https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-365/8847e567-fa73-49a8-a338-f749075de7a3
  4. Office 365

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office 365: I am very unhappy with 365 that I now have to pay for. When Windows 7 got dumped I bought a copy of Windows 10, downloaded it and could manage OK. I only use Outlook and Word. and Outlook is run by frontier.com Then Windows 10 blew up my computer, Microsoft Tech Support...
  5. Uninstalling and reinstalling Office 365

Uninstalling and reinstalling Office 365: I installed Office 365 from my account on another computer in my household. Now, to the chagrin of the person who uses that computer, they are getting Microsoft updates meant for me. I logged in to Office on the other computer using my security key. I previously did the...
  6. Can i uninstall and reinstall Office 365 Family?

Can i uninstall and reinstall Office 365 Family?: Can i uninstall and reinstall Office 365 Family? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-uninstall-and-reinstall-office-365-family/1b9a45b2-0481-4a76-9ba8-68813dc148d3
  7. office 365

office 365: I did not install publisher when i installed "home office 365." How do I now find and install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-365/720b03d8-673f-4b53-ad3c-0918ab23bdc0
  8. office 365

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    office 365: i have purchased office personal and do not have a clue what to do with it or start it, you have taken payment and i can not find it anywhere https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-365/238d8691-2530-49d6-9233-1657530cc4a9"
  9. Reinstalling Office 365

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reinstalling Office 365: Outlook failed to open even in safe mode. A data file was said to be corrupted. I uninstalled office and tried to reinstall it but neither Word nor Outlook installed. any ideas?...
  10. Office 365

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365: Hi Is anyone else having an issue with Office 365 this morning? I logged in earlier all was OK, just turned the PC off and done a few things, when I turn on it is asking me to turn on my auto renewal.... [img] If I go to account options in Outlook [img] I...