Windows 10: reinstalling Win 10 on a new Hard drive in my existing computer.

Discus and support reinstalling Win 10 on a new Hard drive in my existing computer. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My Hard drive recently crashed on my desktop computer. I replaced the drive with a new SSD. How do I reinstall the Win 10 on this new drive? Do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GeraldNielsen, Jan 24, 2020.

1. reinstalling Win 10 on a new Hard drive in my existing computer.

My Hard drive recently crashed on my desktop computer. I replaced the drive with a new SSD. How do I reinstall the Win 10 on this new drive? Do I need a product Key? If so how do I get it? My existing license is active and I can use it on multiple computers, up to 10. I can't recover the key from the crashed drive. I do have keys from previous upgrades from Win 8 to win 8 Pro pack with media center in 2013, but not when I upgraded to Win 10 in 2014. When the Hard Drive crashed 1-7-2020, it had all the current updates available at that time.

:)

GeraldNielsen, Jan 24, 2020

2. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Jan 24, 2020
  3. JCPHX Win User
    Using existing hard drive in new machine

Can I install my existing hard drive with win 10 pro in new machine so that I don't have to reinstall everything? Current machine is 8 years old but has i7 in it.

JCPHX, Jan 24, 2020
  4. DMonk123 Win User

reinstalling Win 10 on a new Hard drive in my existing computer.

Can't access files after Win 10 reinstall on new hard drive.

I recently did a clean reinstall of Win 10 (from existing Win 10) on a new hard drive (new boot drive) using a USB memory stick boot method. I now cannot access any of my encrypted files and documents that remained on my secondary data drive, which I did
    not alter during the Win 10 reinstall to the new hard drive.

I still have my old hard drive, but cannot boot windows from the old hard drive with the old Win 10 on it (which I tried out of desperation.

Any help appreciated -- I realize hope is slim, but you'd think a reinstall of windows would enable me the same permissions.

One thing differently I did do with this reinstall -- I created a Microsoft Account and now log in with that new identity, which I hadn't done previously.

Obviously I know just enough to really dork myself.

DMonk123, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

reinstalling Win 10 on a new Hard drive in my existing computer.

1. reinstalling Win 10 on a new Hard drive in my existing computer. - Similar Threads - reinstalling Hard drive

2. Reinstall Windows 10 on a new hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows 10 on a new hard drive.: Hello, the hard drive on my PC fried and I needed to replace it.How do I recover my Windows 10 Product Key so that I can install Windows 10 on the replacement hard drive?...
  3. Folders that exist on hard drive of old computer but are missing on new computer using an...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders that exist on hard drive of old computer but are missing on new computer using an...: My desk top computer, which is running Windows 8.1, began to act up - it would freeze, shut off by itself etc so I bought a new desk top computer now running Windows 10 - I removed my hard drive and installed it in an enclosure to plug in the new computer - the new enclosure...
  4. Folders that exist on hard drive of old computer but are missing on new computer using an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders that exist on hard drive of old computer but are missing on new computer using an...: My desk top computer, which is running Windows 8.1, began to act up - it would freeze, shut off by itself etc so I bought a new desk top computer now running Windows 10 - I removed my hard drive and installed it in an enclosure to plug in the new computer - the new enclosure...
  5. Folders that exist on hard drive of old computer but are missing on new computer using an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Reinstalling Windows 10 on a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling Windows 10 on a new hard drive: Hi! I bought a new hard drive since it looks like the one I currently have is corrupted. However, the corrupted hard drive is where my Windows volume license key is bound to. Is it still possible to activate the license on a different hard drive? Appreciate any steps and...
  7. current hard drive compatible with new win 10 computer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    current hard drive compatible with new win 10 computer?: hello just got a new dell computer that has bays for extra hard drives. I want to move a drive from my old computer to the new one. the hard drive is a wdc wd1001fals-40u9b0 ata. I think the new computer uses sata connectors. not sure what the old hard drive is, maybe 2.5 do...
  8. new hard drive,reinstall win 10

new hard drive,reinstall win 10: I replaced a hard drive in my hp laptop.How can I reload windows 10 onto it ? I made a iso disk but can't get it to work. I changed the bootup sequence to cd/dvd first and hd second. Hope this makes sense...
  9. Reinstalling Win 10 on new Hard Disk Drive

Reinstalling Win 10 on new Hard Disk Drive: I am using (for some years) a Toshiba Laptop that came with pre-installed Win 8. I upgraded this to Win 10, during the free upgrade period. Because my Laptop was becoming very slow, I have just fixed a new SSD Hard Disk Drive to this Toshiba Laptop. How do I now transfer /...
  10. Failing Win 10 Hard Drive .. how to reinstall Win 10 on a new HD

Failing Win 10 Hard Drive .. how to reinstall Win 10 on a new HD: Hi I have many sectors failed (1186) and 400 suspect ones according to Sentinal on my Desktop HD I am running Win 10 after upgrading from Win 7. If I buy another HD, how do I install Win10 on it as I only have the original Win 7 disc. Any help or links to follow would be...