Windows 10: Reinstalling Win10 on a sequentially upgraded computer

Discus and support Reinstalling Win10 on a sequentially upgraded computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm facing this situation: My computer started ~7 years ago with AMD processor, 8 GBs of RAM, classic HDDs, and over the years, pretty much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PavelDrotar, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Reinstalling Win10 on a sequentially upgraded computer

Hello,

I'm facing this situation:

My computer started ~7 years ago with AMD processor, 8 GBs of RAM, classic HDDs, and over the years, pretty much everything in it underwent replacement - it's now a Core-i5 including new motherboard, more memory, new SSDs, graphics card etc.

On the Operating System side, it began as Windows 7, and went through the free upgrade to Windows 8 and then to Windows 10.

However, it fails when trying to apply the 2020 patches for Windows 10 with some obscure error code.

I would like to reinstall Windows 10 to sort of give the machine "a new start", but there are several complications:

1. I really need to keep Windows Movie Maker available. This software has been discontinued by Microsoft, so how do I reinstall it after an OS reinstall?

2. There's legal software on the PC which I no longer have installation media for. Again, how do I keep this?

3. Is there any guarantee that reinstalling Windows 10 would resolve the issue of not being able to apply the May 2020 update?

:)

PavelDrotar, Aug 3, 2020

2. Why has Windows 10 slowed my computer so much?

If you upgraded to Win10 with MBAM installed, it's very possible that the OS upgrade messed up something with MBAM.
    (It was/is M$ "best practices" to temporarily uninstall your AV, AM and other security programs before upgrading to Win10, to minimize the chance of such corruption.)

Either way, for starters, I suggest a proper, clean MBAM reinstall.
    I suggest carefully following ALL of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.
    Pointers:
    • Please be sure you have your license info handy before you start
    • Please be sure to deactivate your account before you uninstall (dashboard > "my account" > "deactivate")
    • Please be sure to reboot when prompted by the removal tool
    • It's a good idea to reboot again after the reinstall

Please let us know if that resolves your issue.

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Superfly Win User
    Upgrading Non-sequential builds

If you have build 9841 installed and try upgrading to build 9879 via the normal upgrade path, you'll get this:

This upgrade path is not supported. Please close Setup and relaunch from the root of the media or go back and pick a different installation choice.

However you can upgrade by running setupprep.exe instead (from sources folder). This will launch the Refresh process (via a Windows 8 splash screen, no less) and you can then follow the prompts:

Reinstalling Win10 on a sequentially upgraded computer [​IMG]

Superfly, Aug 3, 2020
  4. wee_ones Win User

Reinstalling Win10 on a sequentially upgraded computer

Win10 Anniversary upgrade

Hello - I'm trying to upgrade to the Win10 Anniversary on a client's laptop. The laptop previously had Symantec Endpoint Protection, but it was removed before the free upgrade was performed from win7 home edition. The copy of SEP was not compatible with
    the upgrade to Win10, but it was supposedly successfully removed.

Now the Anniversary upgrade stops and reports that it can't continue due to incompatibility with SEP. I've checked the startup, there's no SEP listed, there's no active SEP components listed under the task manager, and I'm unable to manually remove registry
    keys through the regedit program.

So: would it be possible to:

Roll back to the previous win edition, reinstall SEP, then remove SEP, and upgrade to Win10 again?

Manually edit the registry (assuming that I can find the offending key(s)) so the installation can complete?

I don't have access to the latest copy of clean wipe, so I'm not sure that would help.

Please provide any suggestions and thanks in advance

Bill

wee_ones, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Reinstalling Win10 on a sequentially upgraded computer

1. Reinstalling Win10 on a sequentially upgraded computer - Similar Threads - Reinstalling Win10 sequentially

2. reinstall bluetooth drivers after Win10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reinstall bluetooth drivers after Win10 upgrade: Minion Recuse Request 20200904M365.2: Just upgraded to windows 10 and bluetooth is not working... where can I got to reinstall drivers or is the any other suggestion... REGARDS, minion365...
  3. upgraded my computer to win10

upgraded my computer to win10: upgraded my computer to win10 now it so lags it sucks wont load drivers for 5 min. after a restart so slow hardware 32gig ram and 1t harddrive, amd processor of 4600hz why is this loading so slow?...
  4. Win10 reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 reinstall: Hello everyone. I have 2 laptops, the first one is for work and the second one is for everything else. Unfortunately, my "work" laptop crashed a month or more ago, didn't have time to get it back to life. Now I've tried and it appears I cannot do anything to it. The crash...
  5. Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10

Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10: Originally, I purchased Windows 8 and installed it on my Mac with Parallels. After installing, Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to remove Windows from Parallels and reinstall it using BootCamp. How can I do this? I do not have Windows 10 on disc or...
  6. Win10 reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 reinstall: How can I transfer my legit windows 10 from hdd to sdd? Is that possible? submitted by /u/JBP04 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e1fy04/win10_reinstall/
  7. Reinstalling Win10 after hardware upgrade

Reinstalling Win10 after hardware upgrade: I will be upgrading my PC with all new hardware and will have to reinstall Win10 in the process. I have Windows ready to install from a USB drive, and I just want to be sure that my personal (as opposed to my work) account is what I will need to activate Windows once it is...
  8. Multiple sequential BSODs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple sequential BSODs: Only recently I started having this problem. I know basic computers so if you want something extra just give me a guide or something. Anyways, sometimes when I launch a game my computer bluescreens. It gives me the DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL. Then it doesn't reboot even...
  9. Reinstall of Win10

Reinstall of Win10: I have not seen a clear answer as to what and how do you get Win10 after your computer would crash, lets say in 2 years. How do you reinstall? 8441
  10. Upgrading Non-sequential builds

Upgrading Non-sequential builds: If you have build 9841 installed and try upgrading to build 9879 via the normal upgrade path, you'll get this: This upgrade path is not supported. Please close Setup and relaunch from the root of the media or go back and pick a different installation choice. However...