Windows 10: Reinstalling windows 10 after changing hardware

Discus and support Reinstalling windows 10 after changing hardware in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. Having trouble with my old PC again since my HDD crashed and so i tried to fix, recover and reinstall windows 10 through USB. To make the long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NelsonT1, Sep 20, 2020.

1. NelsonT1 Win User

Reinstalling windows 10 after changing hardware

Hello. Having trouble with my old PC again since my HDD crashed and so i tried to fix, recover and reinstall windows 10 through USB. To make the long story short, it ended up deleting /formatting the 500GB HDD and i got a used 120GB SSD and another 80GB HDD connected to my pc. the 3 drives have been formatted and partitioned and im trying to install windows 10 via USB but it says windows could not start because following file isd missing or corrupt <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll . where\ can i find it and reinstall a copy of it? tried to search for the file in all those 3 drives but i can't find it.

By the way. I made the bootable USB from another older PC running Windows 10 home. the first time i tried to install, i thought it was going to go through because it went to the violet screen and asked to choose a n edition, keyboard language, etc. but on the next step it also asked me to choose a location where it could find the correct drivers for my pc. i also don't know where i could find it. then i turned it off and i went to the older PC to search there. i just guessed and copied Sources folder to my usb flash drive. after that, i went back to the pc im trying to fic and now i am here. stuck. it didn't go back to the violet screen but instead had the message of the missing or corrupt file. i hope someone can help as i am not very computer savvy!

:)

NelsonT1, Sep 20, 2020
  2. MrGenius Win User

[Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Reinstalling windows 10 after changing hardware :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Sep 20, 2020
  3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 20, 2020
  4. taox Win User

Windows 10 Hardware change

Things went better than i expected.
    i saved my important files to usb.
    install windows 10 setup on another usb.
    clean installed windows 10 (after installing new hardwares), it didnt ask me for the key.
    lost internet connection, but all i had to do was download the LAN drivers. (from disc)

But i have a question why does my SSD only have 125gb free out of 236gb??? this was a clean re-installed. i did reinstalled a few programs (firefox,flash,origin etc)

Thema:

1. Reinstalling windows 10 after changing hardware - Similar Threads - Reinstalling changing hardware

2. Windows 11 not activating after reinstalling after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not activating after reinstalling after changing hardware: I built a new PC about 2 months ago installed/activated windows 11 but had some issues with the drive.After taking out the storage putting in a new ssd and installing the same copy of windows I cannot activate it. I have been through the troubleshooter countless times saying...
  3. Windows 11 not activating after reinstalling after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not activating after reinstalling after changing hardware: I built a new PC about 2 months ago installed/activated windows 11 but had some issues with the drive.After taking out the storage putting in a new ssd and installing the same copy of windows I cannot activate it. I have been through the troubleshooter countless times saying...
  4. Reinstalling windows 10 with hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling windows 10 with hardware change: Hello,I am buying new components, new CPU, GPU and RAM. I only keep the old motherboard, PSU and SSD. I want to do a clean installation of Win10. Will I need the activation key or just logging into my Microsoft account is gonna be ok? In "Activation" tab it says: "Windows is...
  5. Reinstalling windows 10 with hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling windows 10 with hardware change: Hello,I am buying new components, new CPU, GPU and RAM. I only keep the old motherboard, PSU and SSD. I want to do a clean installation of Win10. Will I need the activation key or just logging into my Microsoft account is gonna be ok? In "Activation" tab it says: "Windows is...
  6. Reinstalling windows 10 with hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Reinstalling windows 10 after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling windows 10 after hardware change.: I’m replacing my dead x570 motherboard with a new b550 motherboard and am assuming i will have to reinstall windows 10. I bought the windows 10 home usb stick with the key from bestbuy. I didnt link my windows 10 license key to my microsoft account when my pc was still...
  8. Windows 10 won't reactivate after hardware change/reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't reactivate after hardware change/reinstall: Hello, I recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu on my pc. I followed the instructions to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change, however when picking the device on my pc via the troubleshooter to activate, it only shows my desktop with the previous motherboard....
  9. Reactivate Windows after reinstall - no hardware change

Reactivate Windows after reinstall - no hardware change: I broke my Windows installation. I initially had 10 Home, installed from an official installation USB. At some point, I purchased a Pro licence from the store. Now after I broke my installation, I reinstalled using the same USB stick, which allows me to chose between Home...
  10. Reinstalling Windows10 after hardware change

Reinstalling Windows10 after hardware change: Hi, I have a laptop that had Windows 10 before I needed to change the faulty drive. The drive got changed by the repairer but the could only install Windows 7 (that was originally came with the laptop when I bought it). How do I upgrade to Windows 10 without buying a new...