Windows 10: Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement

Discus and support Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. However, my hard disk crashed and my service provider re installed window 7 after installing new hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AKM163, Apr 22, 2020.

1. AKM163 Win User

Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement

I had upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. However, my hard disk crashed and my service provider re installed window 7 after installing new hard disk. Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 and windows will identify earlier activation if its not based on hard disk.

:)

AKM163, Apr 22, 2020
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Replacing the hard disk

Hi,

If you are replacing the hard disk, you can still reinstall Windows 10 by performing a direct clean install using the media creation tool.

For more information on how to perform a clean install. Refer to the Use installation media to reinstall Windows 10
    section on this article.

Note: Performing a clean install will remove all your personal files, drivers you installed, apps, customizations from your PC manufacturer, and changes you made to settings so we suggest that you back up all your important
    and personal files.

While performing a clean install, your product key should automatically retrieved from the system but, in case you are still prompted for a product key during the installation, get the product key in advance (before doing a clean install) by following the
    steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • In the list of results, right-click on Command Prompt and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Enter the administrator credentials if prompted.
    • In Command Prompt window, type this command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    • Press Enter.
    • The product key will be revealed. Copy or write it on a paper.

Also, we recommend contacting the device manufacturer for more information if your SSD is compatible with your laptop.

Merry Christmas and feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Reinstall of Windows 10 after replacing hard disk

I have upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 before the deadline of free upgrade. Afterwards my hard disk was failed and replaced with Windows 7 installed again. In this case, can I reinstall/re-upgrade to Windows 10 once more?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 7 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

TheodoreBut, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Pfoal Win User

File restore after replacing hard disk Windows 10

If I reinstall Windows 10 because of an internal hard disk replacement, will the new Windows 10 recognize and retrieve data files placed on an external hard disk by the old Windows 10 restore function?

Original Title: File Restoral

Pfoal, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement - Similar Threads - Reinstalling hard disk

2. Windows 10 license key question after replacing hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 license key question after replacing hard disk: I want to replace my old hard disk with a new SSD disk in my desktop PC. After I get the new disk, I need to install Windows 10. Can I still use the license key or what is the proper way to ensure I can use the same license key? Nothing else changed in the PC, just the hard...
  3. Windows 10 license key question after replacing hard disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 license key question after replacing hard disk: I want to replace my old hard disk with a new SSD disk in my desktop PC. After I get the new disk, I need to install Windows 10. Can I still use the license key or what is the proper way to ensure I can use the same license key? Nothing else changed in the PC, just the hard...
  4. Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall: Hi, I got my laptop Dell Alienware 15 R3 [Have 3 SSD ports and 1 HDD port] with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I upgraded it to PRO via Microsoft Store in May 2018. It had 2 hard disks -> 1 SSD and 1 HDD. Later I installed an additional nVME SSD as well and installed OS on...
  5. Activation problem after hard disk replacement

Activation problem after hard disk replacement: I bought a Dell laptop 5 years back with windows 8.1 pre-loaded. After some time it was upgraded to Windows 10 without any challenge. Recently the hard disc crashed and it had to be replaced. The technician retrieved the embedded Windows 8.1 activation key through...
  6. Reinstalling windows after Hard disk crashed.

Reinstalling windows after Hard disk crashed.: Hello, I have Lenovo laptop which I bought around 5 yrs back with genuine windows 7 Home premium with product key. I have updated it to windows 10 when windows 10 update notification was popping up into notification box. Everything was working fine for me from the last...
  7. Reactivating Windows 10 Dell OEM after a hard disk replacement

Reactivating Windows 10 Dell OEM after a hard disk replacement: Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Windows 10 I just replaced my hard drive. Since Dell did not provide me with a Windows disk, we reloaded Windows with a disk my techie husband already had. Since it was not the Dell OEM version of Windows 10, I am now unable to activate Windows. It's...
  8. Reinstalling windows after hard disk change

Reinstalling windows after hard disk change: Hello, Windows 10 is installed on my computer on 1000 GB HDD. I want to replace the HDD with a new one which sizes only 500 GB. I made a recovery DOK and tried using it to reinstall windows on the new HDD, but I got an error saying the size is too small. How can I reinstall...
  9. how to reinstall windows 10 (home) after replace hard drive

how to reinstall windows 10 (home) after replace hard drive: FACTS: Dell inspiron 3050 (small fanless cube) came with windows 8.1 later upgraded to windows 10 .. it only had a 32 gig solid state drive which is so crowded now it has NOT been able to update since oct 2017because it says it needs 8 gig on c to do the update ... I tried...
  10. Hard Disk Unusable/Unallocated after Reinstall Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Disk Unusable/Unallocated after Reinstall Windows 10: Hi all, I wanted to reinstall Windows 10 and format my C: drive. To do this, I used this guide. All went well, I created a bootable USB-stick with the Windows installer on it. Unfortunately, I forgot to disconnect any devices and/or drives before installing. This caused...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reinstall windows after ssd replacement