Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows 10 from a Prior Upgrade

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows 10 from a Prior Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded my Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10 in August using the ISO Media file. Due to a computer crash I had to reinstall Windows 8 from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by StevenTodd, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 from a Prior Upgrade

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10 in August using the ISO Media file. Due to a computer crash I had to reinstall Windows 8 from the original Windows 8 disk. I ran the update to install all Windows 8 updates so that the computer would be ready for Windows 10. I then went to the Microsoft site to run the ISO Media file. However, during the setup process it asks for a Windows 10 product key which naturally I do not have. I tried using my Windows 8 product key but it would not accept it. Is there a way now to upgrade to Windows 10? If not, then I will just stick with Windows 8.1 until Microsoft forces me to upgrade to Window 10 via the Automatic upgrade process.

:)

StevenTodd, Oct 29, 2015

2. Have all my Windows.old files: can't go back to 8.1

I thought that it only keeps that option available for 30 days after upgrade to Windows 10. If you have saved those files separately, I am not sure what the process would be to make use of them. Windows.old could also be from prior to the update that came
    out last August from the prior Windows 10 version, so it might depend on when you upgraded from 8.1 to 10.

If you really want to reinstall 8.1, you could probably download it, wipe your hard disk and reinstall from nothing. You would have to backup and restore data, and reinstall any software.

Don Cuthbert, Oct 29, 2015
  3. Vasudev Win User
    How to update window10 offline?

From Windows 10 FAQ:

"Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded."

Vasudev, Oct 29, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10 from a Prior Upgrade

Yes, just click Skip when asked for a key. Make sure you select the correct version Home or Pro that you had before, or it will not activate.

spapakons, Oct 29, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Use the "Upgrade this PC now" option of the Media Creation Tool. If you are trying to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 again and it is asking you for a product key, then you have the wrong version downloaded.

Since you've upgraded once already on that computer - there is no need to start over with Windows 8.1. If you download the same version of Windows 10 you had before and are entitled to and create an installation USB or DVD you can just clean install Windows 10. That is when you would "skip" or "do this later" when asked for a product key.

NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2015
  6. tjg79 Win User
    I think your best option is a clean install with the correct version and skip the product key page. Your hardware should be logged with Microsoft so you don't have any activation issues. Upgrade installs, where you install on top of a previous install, have issues.

tjg79, Oct 29, 2015
  7. I have spent two entire days on this and it is too complicated for me to understand so I have decided to just stick with Windows 8.1.

StevenTodd, Oct 29, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

There is no complication in this. Boot with Windows 10 DVD-ROM or USB install media you have prepared. Start setup and at the disks delete any partitions (assuming you already have a backup of your data). Proceed with the installation. When asked for a key click skip and select Windows 10 Home, if you had 8.1 core or Windows 10 Pro if you had 8.1 Pro. Leave it finish (can restart automatically many times until complete). Complete the initial user account etc stage and when at the desktop install any drivers. Then run Windows Update to install any remaining drivers you didn't have and you should be OK.

spapakons, Oct 29, 2015
  9. Word Man Win User
    If all you want to do is repeat what you did in August, simply mount the exact same ISO file and, in File Explorer, browse to the mounted ISO and double click on setup.exe. Brink makes it crystal clear in Steps 6, 7, and onward of his tutorial found here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html You should NOT be prompted for a Product Key.

All this stuff about skipping the key has to do with a clean install and is certainly applicable if you don't want to simply redo what you did to upgrade initially.

Word Man, Oct 29, 2015
  10. After working on it for another of hours I was able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Thanks for the help.

StevenTodd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 from a Prior Upgrade - Similar Threads - Reinstalling Prior Upgrade

2. Windows 11 Pro upgrade prior to activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro upgrade prior to activation: I downloaded and installed Windows 11 Pro after making a Purchase of Windows 11 Home. I became aware of my error while trying to activate the product.Is the a method to purchase a Pro upgrade without an activated Home version?...
  3. Windows 11 Pro upgrade prior to activation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro upgrade prior to activation: I downloaded and installed Windows 11 Pro after making a Purchase of Windows 11 Home. I became aware of my error while trying to activate the product.Is the a method to purchase a Pro upgrade without an activated Home version?...
  4. Reinstalling my windows 10 that was upgraded free from windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling my windows 10 that was upgraded free from windows 7: Dear All could you please help me to reinstall windows 10 after a computer crash, this was a free update from windows 7 many years ago, I have had to go bake and install my windows 7 disc but can find no way to reinstall windows 10 without being asked for a product key, can...
  5. Reinstall Excel/Word from Prior Purchase

Reinstall Excel/Word from Prior Purchase: My hard drive crashed, just received a new one. I need to reinstall Excel/Word from a prior purchase in 2019. How do I do so? I do have an account with Microsoft, but can't find the purchase history. I do have an email with the purchase details....
  6. Reinstall Windows 10 Pro after upgrade from Windows 10 Home.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstall Windows 10 Pro after upgrade from Windows 10 Home.: I Have a client computer that came with Windows 10 home. Purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the microsoft store and upgraded. About a year ago. The Hard drive crashed. Will the product key I received for the upgrade work to reinstall Pro? I really do not want to install...
  7. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 prior to support being discontinued

Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 prior to support being discontinued: I was FORCED to have to upgrade to Windows 10 after finding out that support will stop as of January 2020 for Windows 7. After reviewing the entire Windows 10 features I find I was extremely disappointed with access and the extreme lack of user friendly tools. 1 big issue I...
  8. Windows 10 Reinstall - Previous Upgrade from 8.1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Reinstall - Previous Upgrade from 8.1: Hi, I've just installed Windows 10 Pro after having previously upgraded from 8.1. It doesn't seem the digital key is assigned to my account for some reason, so I am not sure how to link it or get it. I upgraded during the period we were able to and I still have my 8.1 key,...
  9. Multiple BSOD prior to and after reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple BSOD prior to and after reinstalling Windows 10: Hello, I am running windows 10 on a 64-bit OS desktop with Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz. I started getting "System Thread exception not handled" "page fault in nonpaged area" and system service exception" BSOD messages about a week ago. I deleted and reinstalled several...
  10. Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ?

Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ?: I have two older PC's running Win 7 Pro (32 & 64 bit). We want to add a number of in the box(s) upgrades...like Motherboard...Graphic cards...SSD's etc. My question is does it matter if we do all this 1st before Win 10 upgrade...or can I change the 2 boxes after the 10...