Windows 10: Reinstalling windows 10 on same (C) drive

Discus and support Reinstalling windows 10 on same (C) drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hello, i have 1 tb harddisk with C,D,E drives..my OS is on C drive ,, i have created back up of all drives in external..i am reinstaling OS on C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ajayhirur, Jan 30, 2017.

1. ajayhirur Win User

Reinstalling windows 10 on same (C) drive

hello,

i have 1 tb harddisk with C,D,E drives..my OS is on C drive ,, i have created back up of all drives in external..i am reinstaling OS on C drive where i had previously win10 15014insider preivew.. i am getting rid of insider preview and get back to current branch version windows 10 through bootable usb drive.when installing custom fresh install i want to know what is better .. should 1)i just just click Next and copying files on C drive continuing instaling windows (without format ) or 2)format C drive first and then click next copying files with instaling windows.. 3)delete all drives C,D,E and make unallocated space single,format it and then recreate partition again and install on the C drive

i want to know which of the 3 options is best for reinstalling windows to have stable

:)

ajayhirur, Jan 30, 2017

2. Reagarding Activation of windows after format

I have windows 10 home installed in c drive. If I run into some problem and decide to "manually" format the c drive and reinstall the windows 10 home using the downloaded iso, will I be able to activate windows again with the same license key as was with
    me earlier.??

I will login with the same Microsoft account in the new installation as was with me before the format.

ShubhamChowdhary, Jan 30, 2017
  3. Windows showing only black screen with blinking courser.

I have installed ubuntu with Windows 10 in dual boot. At time of installing ubuntu i selected Window paration i.e c:/ for boot loader installation. at the grub when i select Windows to boot it only shows only black screen with blinking courcer. I also tried
    reinstalling Windows in same c drive but still it showing black scree.

Should i format the c drive and reinstall it again or is there any way to get it back. And after formatting c drive will it affect my other partition and os.

utkarshvadar, Jan 30, 2017
  4. Reinstalling windows 10 on same (C) drive

If you want absolute clean install, then during the setup, choose format C-partition and let the setup install on that drive. If you do not format the drive, Windows will try to "upgrade".

What do you have on partitions D and E? If E is the recovery partition, it could be a good idea to keep it, just in case.

slicendice, Jan 30, 2017
  5. ajayhirur Win User
    partitions D and E i have movies ,video tutors of 3ds max , songs, softwares, serials ,, all entertainment stuffs etc...

wow so i can upgrade from 15014 to CB 14393 if i dont do format on C drive ? if u remember me i posted one thread if i can go back from insider preview 15014.100 to 14393.693 with upgrade mode without deleting files apps etc..
    so if now i choose to custom install via boot and choose C drive without format i wil be retaining files as it is then

ajayhirur, Jan 30, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Hopefully your D: and E: drive partitions are at the end of your physical disk. I would select the custom install option. Delete all the partitions except for your D: and E: drive partitions and then select the resulting unallocated space and click Next. Let Winodws set up all it's partitions and that will still leave D: and E: drive partitions untouched.

There will probably be 3 or 4 partitions you will delete in front of the D: and E: drive partitions.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2017
  7. Hold on to your hats! What I just said does not work...just a sec and I check how to keep everything while downgrading....

slicendice, Jan 30, 2017
  8. Reinstalling windows 10 on same (C) drive

Nope, my VMs does not want to do the same things as I did on my PC just a while back...SRY, can't help any further.

slicendice, Jan 30, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Just format C and reinstall, leave your data partitions alone.

AddRAM, Jan 30, 2017
  10. Yes, that is the best choice, you can get all your important files on C-drive from the backup you made.

slicendice, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Reinstalling windows 10 on same (C) drive

1. Reinstalling windows 10 on same (C) drive - Similar Threads - Reinstalling same drive

2. Reinstalling Windows 10 with same activation key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Windows 10 with same activation key: I have on computer a Windows 10 Pro version 1607. I want to update it to 21h2. Since I cannot update it to latest version via Windows Update, I have to reinstall the operating system. The current Windows 10 was installed through an upgrade from Windows 7, it's activated, but...
  3. Recovery of C drive data after windows reinstallation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery of C drive data after windows reinstallation.: My Laptop is Lenovo Ideapad L340. I did a recent windows update on 2022/05/30, driver power state failure occurred after restarting the machine. Initially, I did a couple of power on/off, but the screen just froze and nothing worked and the same driver power state failure...
  4. Recovery of C drive data after windows reinstallation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery of C drive data after windows reinstallation.: My Laptop is Lenovo Ideapad L340. I did a recent windows update on 2022/05/30, driver power state failure occurred after restarting the machine. Initially, I did a couple of power on/off, but the screen just froze and nothing worked and the same driver power state failure...
  5. Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data: I'm using Windows 10 Pro and I can't repair corrupt files, so I want to reinstall Windows 10 again using media creation tool. I'm using only one drive C drive as I have 237 GB SSD. Furthermore, I had not done any partition. Only one C drive. So if I use media creation tool →...
  6. Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data: I'm using Windows 10 Pro and I can't repair corrupt files, so I want to reinstall Windows 10 again using media creation tool. I'm using only one drive C drive as I have 237 GB SSD. Furthermore, I had not done any partition. Only one C drive. So if I use media creation tool →...
  7. Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Reinstalling windows 10 on the same pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling windows 10 on the same pc: Hello, I would like to reinstall windows on my same pc to get a genuine copy of windows and activate it with a product key. My question is if I reinstall windows 10 from a usb what will happen to my ssd that already has windows 10 on it? I’m trying to do a clean fresh install...
  9. format my C drive and reinstall windows 10 home

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    format my C drive and reinstall windows 10 home: I have an ASUS K52JC which came with its HD partitioned into Drives C & D and had Windows 7 Home Premium OS. The CD/DVD drive quit functioning at one point and I never found a fix for that problem. After upgrading to Windows 10 Home, I also used software to combine the two...
  10. Is Windows C same as C drive in windows 10 laptops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is Windows C same as C drive in windows 10 laptops: Is Windows C same as C drive in windows 10 laptops ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-c-same-as-c-drive-in-windows-10-laptops/b3cd297b-1cf6-4ff3-9164-57358742444c