Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows 10 on SSD and wiping data on HDD

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows 10 on SSD and wiping data on HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently added an SSD to my PC which already had a 2 TB HDD. Everything works perfectly fine, but I want to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 onto... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jerry, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Jerry Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10 on SSD and wiping data on HDD

I recently added an SSD to my PC which already had a 2 TB HDD. Everything works perfectly fine, but I want to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 onto my SSD and use that as my boot drive and wipe all the current data from my HDD. I don't want to do data migration. How would I go about doing this?

:)

Jerry, Mar 30, 2020

2. How to wipe an SSD Windows !0 Laptop of all Perosnal data?

Hi,

there seems to be various post on this subject but I am unable to find the answer I need.

I have a Surface Pro 4 which I intend to sell and need to wipe all the perosnal data. There are clear instruction how to do this - but there is NO clarrification as to if this applies only to HDD or also to a SSD.

If an SSD is there any further steps needed?

Would appreciate a straight and clear answer!

MartinSullivan1, Mar 30, 2020
  3. hippnk Win User
    Changing from HDD to SSD

Thank you so much for this information.

I see from your signiture you have a 128gb ssd and 1TB HDD. That is exactly how I want my finished PC to be. I have a 480GB SSD which I will put on windows 10 and all the programmes that I currently use. Some like itunes are data heavy and so I want to
    wipe the HDD and use that for the data for the apps. Should I wipe the HDD first (obvs after I have created the bootable USB) or can I wipe it after?

hippnk, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Reinstalling Windows 10 on SSD and wiping data on HDD

Complete SSD and HDD integration

Thank you for the response. I hope you have not understood it wrong, I have an M.2 SSD in my computer and an HDD too in my computer. This means I cannot plug the HDD in my computer while running to prevent damage. But, anyways, I could unplug the HDD and
    then reinstall Windows on the SSD. Before I would do that, I would have to do what you mentioned, to wipe the SSD first. Which third-party tool would be best for that, to create a usable partition for Windows to reinstall on? I am very cautious here because
    I really don't want to wipe something wrong. As mentioned before, I did "Custom Install" when I installed Windows on the SSD.

Also, what do you mean with "Just don't boot the machine with it plugged in.."?

So, slance310 and Greg Carmack, what are your suggestions on what to do now? Thanks so much!

PolarBear123_456, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Reinstalling Windows 10 on SSD and wiping data on HDD

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 on SSD and wiping data on HDD - Similar Threads - Reinstalling SSD wiping

2. SSD failed to boot after hdd wiping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD failed to boot after hdd wiping: Hello,I recently installed Windows 10 on an ssd. However, my old HDD was in the PC and windows installed system files inside of it, so when I deleted files that was in this HDD using a linux live cd, I was unable to boot. Can someone help me to reinstall this files into my...
  3. Reinstalling Windows 10 will wipe out both my HDD and SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Windows 10 will wipe out both my HDD and SSD?: What will happen if I want to install a fresh copy of Windows 10? Will it only wipe out my SSD or my HDD or both? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstalling-windows-10-will-wipe-out-both-my-hdd/59f34c0f-14bb-4109-a595-ab4c2dba8cd0
  4. Reinstalling Windows 10 will wipe out both my HDD and SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Windows 10 will wipe out both my HDD and SSD?: What will happen if I want to install a fresh copy of Windows 10? Will it only wipe out my SSD or my HDD or both? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstalling-windows-10-will-wipe-out-both-my-hdd/59f34c0f-14bb-4109-a595-ab4c2dba8cd0
  5. Reinstalling Windows 10 will wipe out both my HDD and SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Reinstall Windows 10 on SSD without losing the data from HDD.

Reinstall Windows 10 on SSD without losing the data from HDD.: Hello, and sorry for my grammar because my first language isn't English. I have all my files and windows 10 on one HDD drive so for speed, I bought one Nvme SSD. I want to install windows on the ssd with some demanding apps and keep the rest of my files and apps on the...
  7. How to wipe my hdd and reinstall windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to wipe my hdd and reinstall windows: I wanna wipe my hdd and start from scratch with a fresh os on my ssd submitted by /u/Marlonkys [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i2hwsn/how_to_wipe_my_hdd_and_reinstall_windows/
  8. reinstall windows without wiping data

reinstall windows without wiping data: I'll start off with saying I'm an idiot for not backing up my files before my pc crashed and gave me the blue screen of death. Is there a way to reinstall windows and still keep my files on my hard drive? Can I use the installation media from a usb without wiping my computer?...
  9. Reinstalling Windows 10 on a different HDD/SSD

Reinstalling Windows 10 on a different HDD/SSD: So three years ago I bought Windows 10 on an USB and upgraded from Win 7, as you do. Now I made the decsion back then to save Windows onto my HDD as opposed to my SSD. Now I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 onto my SSD in order to make my machine run a bit smoother, and It's...
  10. Reinstall windows 10 from hdd to ssd

Reinstall windows 10 from hdd to ssd: I want to install windows 10 on the new ssd, my currently windows 10 is on my hdd. I search on the internet that i have to remove the hdd before the new install but my laptop hdd is a little bit tricky to remove. Is there another way that i don't have to remove the hdd. Can i...