Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and changing account with linked license?

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and changing account with linked license? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My dad recently gave me his old laptop with Windows 10 Pro. It has some buggy stuff going on, so I want to reinstall Windows in any case, but when I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kidmerc, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and changing account with linked license?

My dad recently gave me his old laptop with Windows 10 Pro. It has some buggy stuff going on, so I want to reinstall Windows in any case, but when I go to the activation menu in the settings, it says that the key is tied to his account. I want to put my own account on the laptop. Is there a way I can transfer the license to my Microsoft account? If i reinstall at this point, am I going to run into problems when activating Windows again?

I have another laptop with a Windows 10 Home linked to my Microsoft account, so if I can use it on the other laptop it's not the end ofthe world, but I don't want to lose Pro if I don't have to.

submitted by /u/kidmerc
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kidmerc, Jan 13, 2020

2. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License  

This is what i get on step 2

Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and changing account with linked license? [​IMG]

MCardona81, Jan 13, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License  

Hello MCardona81, Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and changing account with linked license? :)

The digital license will automatically be linked when you sign in to Windows 10 with your Microsoft account.

At step 2, what does it show for you in Activation on the right side?

Brink, Jan 13, 2020
  4. Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and changing account with linked license?

Linking Windows 10 digital license to Microsoft account: Is the link permanent?

Linking to your Microsoft Account is more of a convenience when reactivating Windows 10 after a reinstallation or hardware change such as a hard disk.

It doesn't necessarily mean, you can easily transfer Windows 10 to another computer. Here is an explanation of how it works:

Learn more about how and if you can transfer your license:

Andre Da Costa, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and changing account with linked license?

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and changing account with linked license? - Similar Threads - Reinstalling Pro changing

2. Wrong license linked with account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong license linked with account: I have a digital license of Windows 10 Pro which was later upgraded to Windows 11 Pro. Unfotunatly my PC died. I purchase a new PC with preinstalled Windows 11 Home. Now I am trying to reuse my own Windows 10 / 11 Pro license. I have clean installed both Windows 10 & and...
  3. Reinstall windows 10 pro digital license Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall windows 10 pro digital license Error: This is the second time and it seems microsoft does not link my info that I upgraded windows 10 pro from microsoft store. I went through the activate process again but not luck this time.Can anyone help please?Thanks...
  4. Reinstall windows 10 pro digital license Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall windows 10 pro digital license Error: This is the second time and it seems microsoft does not link my info that I upgraded windows 10 pro from microsoft store. I went through the activate process again but not luck this time.Can anyone help please?Thanks...
  5. Windows 10 license linked to an outlook account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 license linked to an outlook account: How do I find out what outlook account is linked to my windows 10 license? Activation in system settings only tells me its a virtual license linked to an account - it doesn't tell me which account.I need to do a fresh install from USB offline as my laptop was hacked and have...
  6. Changing the email account that has digital license linked to it

Changing the email account that has digital license linked to it: Hello, I have a windows 10 Pro license that is linked to an email address Hotmail that I don't want to use anymore. I have created a new email address outlook.com but I want to move the digital license to the new email. How can I do this? Thanks...
  7. windows 10 pro licenses in account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 pro licenses in account: I have 4 pc's on my account that are no longer in service. 3 have windows pro on them. I want to transfer one of those licenses to my new laptop which is running windows home....
  8. multiple windows license linking to account

multiple windows license linking to account: Hi, I do not understand exact behaviour of windows license linking to MS account. In my case I am owner of 6 windows licences. I am not sure, if it is good idea to link all these licences to my 1 MS account. Because, I am not aware about any "overview" of licenceses...
  9. Changing the email account that has the digital license linked to it

Changing the email account that has the digital license linked to it: Hello, I have a windows 10 license that is linked to an email address (yahoo) that I don't want to use anymore. I have created a new email address (outlook.com) but I want to move the digital license to the new email. How can I do this? I'm doing because I want to...
  10. Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license

Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license: I have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro Some time ago i took advantage to upgrade my o/s to Windows 10 . I currently sign into PC with a microsoft account. Motherboard on PC may be giving up on me so I wish to replace it. I have done a bit of research and it...