Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro on new hard drive originally with refurbishers product key

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro on new hard drive originally with refurbishers product key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop with a 320GB hdd that I just bought from an authorized microsoft refurbisher with a refurbisher windows 10 sticker and product key. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Roguepoint, May 27, 2019.

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro on new hard drive originally with refurbishers product key

I have a laptop with a 320GB hdd that I just bought from an authorized microsoft refurbisher with a refurbisher windows 10 sticker and product key. It has been activated and is working fine. Except, I have decided to replace the hdd with an ssd to pick up some performance. My question is,

Do I just create a recovery usb and everything will work like it should ?or do I need to do something special ?

It actually has a sticker on the bottom that has the product key that I had to scratch off the first code set to activate.

A second question is, I want to update the bios. Should I do that before, or after the drive update ? Or, does that not matter ?

Thank you for any guidance or suggestions.

:)

Roguepoint, May 27, 2019

2. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, May 27, 2019
  3. GaryGo Win User
    Installing Win 10 Pro on new HD (original PC) keeps asking for product key

In 2013, I installed Windows 8 Pro with a valid product key. That was upgraded to Windows 8.1, and that was upgraded to Windows 10.

My hard drive crashed and I am reinstalling Windows 10 Pro from a USB drive created with the Media Creation Tool. When asked to save files, I chose to perform a new install, since the hard driver was empty.

Now it asks for a product key. I have a key for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, but I do not have a product key for Windows 10.

The installer won't the installer accept the old 8/8.1 keys.

How can I reinstall Windows 10 Pro on this PC without buying a new license?

Thanks.

GaryGo, May 27, 2019
  4. Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro on new hard drive originally with refurbishers product key

Windows 10 Pro Reinstall On New Hard Drive

You have a few options:

Option 1:

Create a system image then restore it on the new drive:

Option 2:

Clone the drive to the new drive:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clone-move-windows-10-data-larger-ssd-disk-drive/

Option 3:

Create bootable media then reinstall Windows 10 on the new drive.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.
    You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key
    you already ownto reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Andre Da Costa, May 27, 2019
Thema:

Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro on new hard drive originally with refurbishers product key

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro on new hard drive originally with refurbishers product key - Similar Threads - Reinstalling Pro hard

2. Reinstall Windows 10 on a new hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows 10 on a new hard drive.: Hello, the hard drive on my PC fried and I needed to replace it.How do I recover my Windows 10 Product Key so that I can install Windows 10 on the replacement hard drive?...
  3. Reinstall Windows 10 after hard drive failure without product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows 10 after hard drive failure without product key: Hello all,Primary hard drive has failed without warning.I have store-bought version of Windows 10 Pro installed but don’t have installation media or product key at hand.I can log into my Microsoft account and can see the details of the Windows 10 product and corresponding PC...
  4. Reinstall Windows 10 after hard drive failure without product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows 10 after hard drive failure without product key: Hello all,Primary hard drive has failed without warning.I have store-bought version of Windows 10 Pro installed but don’t have installation media or product key at hand.I can log into my Microsoft account and can see the details of the Windows 10 product and corresponding PC...
  5. Reinstall Windows 10 after hard drive failure without product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  6. Reinstalling Windows 10 on a new hard drive

Reinstalling Windows 10 on a new hard drive: Hi! I bought a new hard drive since it looks like the one I currently have is corrupted. However, the corrupted hard drive is where my Windows volume license key is bound to. Is it still possible to activate the license on a different hard drive? Appreciate any steps and...
  7. Reinstall Windows with new product key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall Windows with new product key: Purchased a Windows 10 pro product key from a friend so I could upgrade from 10 home. This, however, isn’t a upgrade key, it’s a install key. How can I reinstall Windows so that it prompts me to enter a product key for 10 pro? I’ve tried the clean install and reset this PC...
  8. Product key on refurbished computer

Product key on refurbished computer: Hello, I recently purchased a refurbished computer that has Windows 10 Pro on it; my old computer the mother board is going on it and has Windows 10 Home. I tried activating Windows on my refurbished computer using my old Windows Home product key, but to no avail. When I...
  9. Using my Windows 10 product key on a new hard drive

Using my Windows 10 product key on a new hard drive: I have a PC that was originally upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10. I have the original Windows 8 product key and since I was too late in up grading to windows 10, I had to BUY a copy of Windows 10 which I did thru Microsoft. Recently, my hard drive died and I had to...
  10. hard drive crashed. need win 10 pro product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hard drive crashed. need win 10 pro product key: my hard drive crashed. it had Win 10 Home free upgrade from Win 7, plus I paid $99 for the upgrade to Pro. I bought a new computer with Win 10 home. I need the product key from my purchase of Pro for the new computer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new hard drive product key

2. windows 10 pro product key reinstallation on new hard drive