Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 (With keys?)

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 (With keys?) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 was released today and I'd like to install it on my custom built desktop for testing. However, I would like to know if I can go back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Zander490, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Zander490 Win User

Reinstalling Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 (With keys?)

Windows 10 was released today and I'd like to install it on my custom built desktop for testing. However, I would like to know if I can go back to Windows 7 after updating to Windows 10. I did a bit of research and found out that there was a roll back option in Windows 10 menus, but I also read that it would be available for only a month after installation. I then thought that just reinstalling Windows 7 with the original installation disc and product key would be all I needed to do to get my computer back to working order. However, a friend of mine said that windows would not let my product key be used for anything else other than windows 10 after being upgraded (at least after 30 days).

I believe lots of people have asked similar questions, but I've had a great deal of trouble finding a definitive answer. Knowing if the same rules apply to 8.1 would also be helpful. Thanks.

:)

Zander490, Jul 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 downgrade , windows 7 ultimate

I have a Windows 7 ultimate retail licence.

If I do a free upgrade to windows 10, do I get a new product key?

Will I be able to remove windows 10 and install it on other computer without reinstalling windows 7, after the 1 year promotion passes ?

If I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, will I be able to remove windows 10 and reinstall and activate the same copy of windows 7? On a different computer ?

What happens with the activation status of windows 7 after 2020 ?

Will I be able to reinstall and use it after that year?

Can I reserve Windows 10 now and install it 2 years later? Or it is required to install it in the one year offer?

cristi1010, Jul 29, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    GOING BACK FROM 10 TO 7

There is no such option after 30 days (or after 10 days once the anniversary update is installed.).

Upgrades from Vista to Windows 10 are not supported - even if you installed Windows 7. Reason: Hardware old enough to be installed on a Windows Vista computer is not likely to be supported on Windows 10.

To return to Windows 7:

1- [Easy way] Restore a backup of Windows 7.

2- [Harder way] Reinstall Windows 7 from your Windows 7 DVD.

BulldogXX, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Zander, and welcome to Ten Forums.

Your friend is mistaken, or just misunderstood part of it.

You can't legally have both the Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed and activated at the same time since you agreed not to have the 7 key activated while the free upgrade to Windows 10 is activated.

You will always be able to wipe the computer, clean install, and activate Windows 7 with your key. *Smile

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Zander490 Win User
    Well ok then! If you're sure then that saves me a big headache. Thanks. Let's hope I don't have to do all that in the first place and can enjoy the new OS.

Zander490, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reinstalling Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 (With keys?) - Similar Threads - Reinstalling installing keys

2. Reinstall Windows 10 with product key Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows 10 with product key Windows 7: Hello,I want to upgrade my storage capicity. But I only have 1 M.2 slot. So I need to do a reinstall from a USB stick. But my Windows product key is from Windows 7, but on my PC Windows 10 is installed because you could get a free upgrade to windows 10 five years ago. So if I...
  3. Reinstall Windows 10 with product key Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows 10 with product key Windows 7: Hello,I want to upgrade my storage capicity. But I only have 1 M.2 slot. So I need to do a reinstall from a USB stick. But my Windows product key is from Windows 7, but on my PC Windows 10 is installed because you could get a free upgrade to windows 10 five years ago. So if I...
  4. Reinstall Windows 10 with product key Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Activation Key After Reinstall.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation Key After Reinstall.: I was having problems installing Windows 10 updates, so I tried doing a clean reinstall of Windows 10. I forgot to write down my product ID, before the re-install. Now, I'm stuck on a screen asking for my product ID. What can I do? I had originally, upgraded from Windows...
  6. Reinstalling Windows 10 after downgrading to Windows 7

Reinstalling Windows 10 after downgrading to Windows 7: Hi there, my computer is a refurbished one given to me by a charity helping people to get computer-literate. When I was first given it is was running Windows 7. It was then upgraded to run Windows 10 but a few months ago I downgraded to Windows 7 in a desperate attempt to...
  7. Windows 7 Product Key on Windows 10 reinstall

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 7 Product Key on Windows 10 reinstall: hi i have an original Windows 7 product key and now running Windows 10 afterfree upgrade. i need to reinstall a clean copy of Windows 10 from USB. Do i use my Win 7 product key? Thanks...
  8. Recover Windows 10 key after installing Windows 7

Recover Windows 10 key after installing Windows 7: Hello everyone, I updated to W10 from W7 last year, when you could do it for free, and, as far as I know, my official W10 key got stored in my motherboard. Today, I wanted to format my PC but accidentally installed W7 instead of W10. I want to upgrade to W10 so I am...
  9. Windows 10 reserve after Win 7 reinstall?

Windows 10 reserve after Win 7 reinstall?: I've been having issues installing win10 from my current win7 machine. I've heard that a few people have just reinstalled their current version of windows and immediately were prompted to upgrade to win10. If I reinstall, will I keep the reserve? What is the reserve...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 10 after installing Windows 7

Reinstalling Windows 10 after installing Windows 7: Hi, so here goes: If I install* Windows 7 atop Windows 10, and then reinstall* Windows 10, will it activate itself or not? Note - all installs are clean installs. Thanks in advance! 39174