Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows 7 using Recovery Disks

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows 7 using Recovery Disks in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Here's my situation. Prior to doing my Windows 10 upgrade on my HP Pavillion DVT7 2200 Notebook, I successfully created the 3 Recovery disks. Prior to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by steveh69, Oct 9, 2015.

1. steveh69 Win User

Reinstalling Windows 7 using Recovery Disks

Here's my situation. Prior to doing my Windows 10 upgrade on my HP Pavillion DVT7 2200 Notebook, I successfully created the 3 Recovery disks. Prior to that I was receiving messages that a hard drive failure is eminent and I should back up my files and replace the hard drive. My Windows 10 upgrade went fine and for most part I'm happy with it. My issue now is my XP Mode is not supported and I have lost a VM that is use run legacy software.

My question is when I run my system recovery is it going to roll me back to where I was before creating the Recovery disks? Will I have to reinstall all my software? I have ordered a replace HDD from HP and it will be arriving on Wednesday. I've thread through many threads of recovering you system with recovery disks and system images. I've never done anything like this before and really appreciate someone giving me a step by step process to follow that at the bare minimum with restore my laptop with Windows 7 after installing my new HDD.

Thanks

:)

steveh69, Oct 9, 2015
  2. WizardWN Win User

Recovery Disk

Are you talking about Window 7 and using a CD to create a Recovery drive disk to restore from a backup? In Windows 10 it called System repair disk.

In Windows 10 you can make a Recovery Drive USB to repair or reinstall Windows 10. You can use a backup program to restore files.

WizardWN, Oct 9, 2015
  3. How do I revert from Windows 10 to Windows 7 Pro? I have the software.

If you have the disk you can run the disk and reinstall windows 10. What i would do is make an image of windows 10 first so you have a copy just incase you ever want to go back. You want to do is put your windows 7 recovery disk in. hit f12 change the
    boot options to the cd and the windows 7 recovery disk will boot up first and then you be able to install 7 again with that disk.

JimmyWin10, Oct 9, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What did you use to make the recovery discs? Did you a factory installed program specifically for making factory recovery discs which will usually only allow you to make one set? Or did you use Windows backup?

If you used the factory specific program, then it will take you back to factory fresh with all their crapware installed, but none of your own software/data.

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2015
  5. steveh69 Win User
    I used the HP Pavillion Laptop to create the 3 recovery disks

steveh69, Oct 10, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    You will back to the day you purchased the computer. All your data and installed programs will be gone.

If you had created an image backup to an external hard drive using a program like Macrium Reflect Free then restoring that would put you back to where you were when the image was created. This is a much better choice and something you should do in now and in the future.

Pick up a 1Tb external hard drive ($50 to $60) and use Macrium Reflect Free to make a backup of what you have now. If you do go back to Windows 7, make an image backup of that when it's ready too.

As for XP Mode, it's been replaced by Hyper-V. Your existing XP Mode VM can be used by Hyper-V. Read some of the hits returned via Google: convert xp mode to hyper-v

Do that and there will be no need to revert to Windows 7.

Ztruker, Oct 10, 2015
  7. steveh69 Win User
    Thanks Rich, I will take your advise and purchase a new external hard drive, I have two of them already but they contain lots of back up data and don't want to risk not having enough space to get the image. The hard drive in the laptop is still alive and I'm hoping it will last long enough to get the image backup created.

steveh69, Oct 10, 2015
  8. steveh69 Win User

Rich;

I forgot to ask, can Macrium Reflect Free create an image of the Windows 10 system that is still running with all my apps and data? or can that be done right from Windows 10 using the 1TB external drive?

steveh69, Oct 10, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes to all that.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reinstalling Windows 7 using Recovery Disks - Similar Threads - Reinstalling using Recovery

2. reinstall windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reinstall windows 7: HiI placed a new harddisk in my laptop old one is broken.It had windows 7 home premium oa.Can i download windows 7 home premium to reinstall it since it is not longer supported?I have the key on the back of my laptop....
  3. ReInstalling Windows but not having recovery disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    ReInstalling Windows but not having recovery disk: Hi, I have original Windows 10 on my laptop, then I install Ubuntu with dual boot. However, after this my Windows doesn't work anymore. Now I want to get back from scratch by re-installing my Windows 10. Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to create recovery disk...
  4. Windows recovery/reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows recovery/reinstall: Good morning I'm having trouble reinstalling Windows on my laptop, had a BIOS update which did not complete and my laptop shut off. which in turn corrupted my hard drive I am unable to to reinstall Windows from the hard drive or recover or repair and nor can i start windows,...
  5. Reinstalled Windows, Decided to use a Backup drive as Recovery

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reinstalled Windows, Decided to use a Backup drive as Recovery: Lesson learned, don't leave anything else plugged in but your SSD when installing Windows. Is there anyway I can create a volume on this drive and use Recuva to recover data? [img] 153468
  6. Reinstalling WINDOWS 7.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reinstalling WINDOWS 7.: To Anyone Knowledgeable: I recently required some technical assistance for a reinstallation of my OPS, and decided to go with WINDOWS 10. However, it is total garbage for the following reasons: 1 my printer EPSON WP-4590 software will not load properly; 2 the Videos I...
  7. Questions on using a recovery disk for windows 10

Questions on using a recovery disk for windows 10: I'm sure other users will want to use some of this info too. I keep having issues with Windows 10 rebooting from, Startup, Sleep, and Restart. They don't always work. I've created a recovery disk on a My Passport Drive, but I can't find any info on how to use it or what...
  8. RECOVERY USING INSTALLATION DISK ISSUE

RECOVERY USING INSTALLATION DISK ISSUE: Hello everyone, I have, as they say, a little problem. I used my Windows 10 installation disc to recover my PC after I had some problems with an updated driver for my GPU (thanks Driver Boost!). I selected the option to roll back to the most recent Windows critical update...
  9. Windows 10 - Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) - Repair Disk or Recovery

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 - Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) - Repair Disk or Recovery: In Windows 10 we create a recovery drive accessed by typing “Create a Recovery drive” in Cortana search bar. This recovery drive allows us to potentially repair our Windows and or restore an Image. Further in Windows 10 Microsoft has restored the Backup & Recovery...
  10. Use Windows 7 repair disk for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Use Windows 7 repair disk for Windows 10?: Is it possible to use a Windows 7 repair disk to restore Windows 10? I have a new Windows 10 computer and I have been trying to create a backup for it but have been having a hard time with it. Then I found a section under update and security that seems to indicate that I can...