Windows 10: Reinstalling windows from recovery usb

Discus and support Reinstalling windows from recovery usb in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I downloaed the program from the site and my dead computer does recognize the drive and for at least 90 minutes it says SET UP IS STARTING. How long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KarenMcClain1, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Reinstalling windows from recovery usb

I downloaed the program from the site and my dead computer does recognize the drive and for at least 90 minutes it says SET UP IS STARTING. How long will this continue? Just let it run all night?
    help, please.

:)

KarenMcClain1, Jan 22, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

3. Nikhar_K Win User
    USB Recovery

Hi Janie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the following questions to get a better understanding on the issue:

• Are you getting any error message?
    • How are you creating the recovery USB?

However, you can follow the steps from Create a recovery drive
    to create a recovery drive.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 22, 2021
  4. thraxed Win User

Reinstalling windows from recovery usb

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 22, 2021
Thema:

Reinstalling windows from recovery usb

1. Reinstalling windows from recovery usb - Similar Threads - Reinstalling recovery usb

2. Reinstalling Windows from a USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Windows from a USB: I have a computer which refuses to boot Windows, but will boot into the BiOS system, where it is now stuck at user level. I've written off the prospect of recovering any data from this computer, so my plan was to see if it will let me simply reinstall Windows. I downloaded...
  3. Reinstalling Windows from a USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Windows from a USB: I have a computer which refuses to boot Windows, but will boot into the BiOS system, where it is now stuck at user level. I've written off the prospect of recovering any data from this computer, so my plan was to see if it will let me simply reinstall Windows. I downloaded...
  4. Reinstalling Windows from a USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recovery from a USB recovery disk

Recovery from a USB recovery disk: Hello,Please can you help.My 1tb hdd in my laptop has crashed. Fortunately, I created a USB Recovery disk.I purchased a 250gb ssd as a replacement, intending to use a portable drive for storage and ssd just for boot and apps.I tried recovering from USP Recovery disk, but it...
  6. Reinstall Windows from Recovery USB without losing files

Reinstall Windows from Recovery USB without losing files: My laptop blackscreened, and none of the normal recovery options have worked. So, I decided to try reinstall Windows 10 from a USB drive. However, the Upgrade option which allows me to keep my files does not work; it says I must do this once Windows is booted, which is...
  7. Computer froze during Windows10 reinstallation from recovery USB drive

Computer froze during Windows10 reinstallation from recovery USB drive: I replaced a failed HDD on my HP all-in-one 23-q114 computer with an SSD. I used the HP recovery manager pressing Escape key multiple times during start-up and the recovery USB drive to complete copying the system files, which took 45 min. or so. A message came on the...
  8. Reinstalling Windows 10 from usb

Reinstalling Windows 10 from usb: Hi, i have had made progress in trying to get Windows 10 reinstalled on my acer Aspire One Cloudbook 14 i tried to reset it but then it got stuck on the acer logo page, and came across this article as it seem the best thing to do the original article came from Dave m i...
  9. reinstall from Recovery

reinstall from Recovery: Having a strange problem. I want to reinstall windows from my HP Recovery Drive. (I know I can download the Win 10 Media creator Tool, but I don't want to). Since I have no longer have the Recovery manager (and HP doesn't make it available), I used 7Zip to extract the WIM...
  10. Reinstalling Windows from a USB

Reinstalling Windows from a USB: Well, I'm doing this. I chose not to keep any files and so Windows proceeded to install but gave me no option to format C Dive. After installing, there were a bunch of left over program folders on C Drive plus the Windows.old folder. Have I missed something. I thought a clean...