Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows with an OEM License

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows with an OEM License in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; A friend wants to switch from a hard drive to an SSD on her HP laptop, which of these three would be feasible with carrying over her OEM license? It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kaitenblackwind, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Reinstalling Windows with an OEM License

A friend wants to switch from a hard drive to an SSD on her HP laptop, which of these three would be feasible with carrying over her OEM license? It's Windows 10 Home.

1. Installing Windows to the SSD fresh, activating with the OEM license/key (preferred).
    2. Copying over the recovery partition from the hard drive and letting it set Windows back up.
    3. Copying the hard drive as-is to the SSD.
    submitted by /u/kaitenblackwind
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kaitenblackwind, Mar 27, 2021

2. Question On OEM Windows clean install......

"Flavors" of Windows licenses

Windows can be a little "odd" about license keys. There are at least 4 categories:
    • Retail
    • OEM
    • Volume (electronic download)
    • Corporate (no key needed)
    For guaranteed success, the license key and media should be in the same category. If you have retail media, you may not be able to install it using an OEM or Volume license key, even though the key is valid for that version of Windows. *Wtf :wtf: Apparently, this is part of Microsoft's anti-piracy scheme (i.e., all customers are guilty until proven innocent).

Static~Charge, Mar 27, 2021
  3. Windows 10 OEM Licensing

Hi

I have a few questions about windows 10 OEM licensing:

1. Is OEM licensing acceptable for business use?
    2. What restrictions does OEM licensing have other than the transfer rights?
    3. Can the OS be reloaded without breaching the license agreement, and if so, can I also replace the HDD with an SSD?
    4. What other hardware upgrades can be done under OEM licensing?
    5. What would be a breach of OEM licensing?
    6. What benefits would a business get if they move to Microsoft 365 vs OEM?
    Thanks in advace

Adriaan Rautenbach, Mar 27, 2021
  4. Andrew Li Win User

Reinstalling Windows with an OEM License

How to reinstall and reactivate Windows 10 with an OEM license

Before you continue, I suggest you remove the bloatware by the Control Panel and uninstalling the junk. That is faster and easier, with less potential for problems, but the steps for reinstallation are as follows:

Before you do anything, backup valuable data, if any, on some form of media (i.e. USB) so you can move it onto the reinstalled Windows.

1. Download the appropriate ISO file from Microsoft and burn it to a CD or use it with a bootable USB.
    2. (Optional if you have no internet) Download all the appropriate drivers for your machine and save them on media for later access.
    3. Locate the product key on your machine. It is usually under the laptop on a sticker, and if not, use special software to locate it. This will be used during the reinstallation. Note that PCs sometimes auto-activate if it is in the BIOS so this step is not needed if this is case.
    4. Boot from the bootable media (disc or USB). Continue as usual through the installation, and when the partitions screen comes up, format the current Windows partition and install in there. (The Recovery partition can be deleted, but I recommend keeping it so if anything goes wrong you can restore to factory settings). If the key doesn't work you may need to contact Microsoft and activate over phone.
    5. After installation, install the drivers and run Windows Update and you're done.

Andrew Li, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

Reinstalling Windows with an OEM License

1. Reinstalling Windows with an OEM License - Similar Threads - Reinstalling OEM License

2. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Licensing OEM: Hey guys. I have a question and needed your support. I bought 40 computers with Windows 10 OEM from my company and I need to update Windows 10 to Windows 11, is it legal to update the operating system version so that there are no legal problems with MSFT? Thank you for your...
  3. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Licensing OEM: Hey guys. I have a question and needed your support. I bought 40 computers with Windows 10 OEM from my company and I need to update Windows 10 to Windows 11, is it legal to update the operating system version so that there are no legal problems with MSFT? Thank you for your...
  4. Windows OEM License

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows OEM License: Good day.Hello.I have one SSD-OLD installed on PC-OLD with Windows OEM license activated previously. I'm building a PC-NEW, and will be re-using the SSD-OLD. Hence the question: 1 Can I install SSD-OLD into PC-NEW, boot it up and then activate with a new Windows OEM license?2...
  5. Windows OEM License

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows OEM License: Good day.Hello.I have one SSD-OLD installed on PC-OLD with Windows OEM license activated previously. I'm building a PC-NEW, and will be re-using the SSD-OLD. Hence the question: 1 Can I install SSD-OLD into PC-NEW, boot it up and then activate with a new Windows OEM license?2...
  6. OEM License

in Windows 10 Support
    OEM License: I bought an OEM win 10 for my new self built pc, I wish to know in order to keep my OEM win 10 valid which parts cannot change ? Can i change cpu, rams, graphics card and sound card ? If i am not wrong only the motherboard cannot change ? 169777
  7. OEM License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM License: Hi, I bought a windows 7 Home Edition retail version long time ago. I got upgraded for free to windows 10 when it came out. Now, I bought a new computer and I was able to transfer my license from my old computer to the new one. I found an OEM pro version for sale on...
  8. OEM windows licensing

OEM windows licensing: who do we talk to in Microsoft for windows licensing for laptop manufacturer OEM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-windows-licensing/b4f035a1-2463-4285-a7dc-9ee516eb352e
  9. OEM windows licensing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM windows licensing: who do we contact for licensing windows as a manufacturer of windows-based comoputers OEM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-windows-licensing/cbc0b200-12da-40ec-a796-8fe3209446f9
  10. Windows OEM Licenses

Windows OEM Licenses: I am starting a business as a system integrator and I want to buy OEM windows 10 licenses from Microsoft and I was wondering if anyone knew how to do that. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-oem-licenses/4ed0a0a4-ba10-4c25-b96f-eaabd1ef1052"