Windows 10: Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11

Discus and support Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you always wanted to know when the next National Prime Rib Day or Earth Day is, then you may be looking forward to the introduction of Search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 25, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11

If you always wanted to know when the next National Prime Rib Day or Earth Day is, then you may be looking forward to the introduction of Search Highlights on Windows 11. Everyone else may be looking for a way to disable Search Highlights instead.

Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11 windows-search-highlights-windows-10.png

Microsoft introduced Search Highlights in Insider Builds of Windows 11 and ported the feature to Stable versions of Windows 10 next. In the coming weeks and months, Search Highlights will roll out to all Windows 11 devices.

Most Windows users come into contact with Search Highlights by accident. They notice a new icon on the taskbar, depicting the special event that Microsoft picked for the day. National Prime Rib Day, one of your favorites, is depicted with meat and knife icons, earth day, with an icon of earth surrounded by pink hearts.

Search Highlights is actually a dual feature. For home systems, it offers "a look at interesting moments in time and a convenient way to discover content". For work devices, it may help users "discover and search for content across Microsoft 365". While the latter may indeed be useful, most Windows users would probably agree that the home variant of Search Highlights is not useful.

Microsoft notes that Search Highlights will roll out over the coming months on Windows 11 devices.

Windows 11 users may turn off the feature, similarly to how Windows 10 users may disable it. Yo may check out our guide on disabling Search Highlights on Windows 10 here.

Turn off Search Highlights on Windows 11

Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11 windows-11-disable-search-highlights.png

1. Open the Start Menu and select Settings, or use the keyboard shortcut Windows-I to open the Settings app.
    2. Go to Privacy & Security.
    3. Select Search permissions on the page that opens.
    4. Toggle "Show search highlights" on the Search permissions page to turn the feature off.

You may undo the change at any time by changing the state of the preference to On again.

Windows 11 won't change icons on the taskbar of the operating system anymore once you make the change. The search interface does not display information related to Search Highlights anymore when you open it either.

Use the Group Policy Editor to turn off Search Highlights

Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11 group-policy-allow-search-highlights.png

Note: the Group Policy Editor is only available in professional versions of Windows 11. In other words: it is not available in Windows 11 Home. Check the Registry option below if you use a device with a Home edition.

1. Use Windows-R to open the runbox.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and hit the Enter-key to launch the Group Policy Editor.
    3. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
    4. Locate and double-click on "Allow Search Highlights".
    5. Change the state of the policy to "Disabled" and select Apply to save the change.

You may undo the change at any time by switching the state of the policy to "not configured" or "enabled".

Use the Windows Registry to turn off Search Highlights on Windows 11

Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11 windows-11-registry-turn-off-search-highlights.png

The Registry edit option is available for all editions of Windows 11.

1. Use Windows-R to open the runbox.
    2. Type regedit.exe and hit the Enter-key to launch the Registry Editor.
    3. Confirm the UAC prompt by selecting "Yes".
    4. Use the address bar at the top to load the following Registry path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
      1. Note: if part of the path is not available, right-click on the previous folder and select New > Key. Name the key accordingly to create the full path.
    5. Check if EnableDynamicContentInWSB is available under Windows Search.
      1. If it is, double-click on the preference and set its Value to 0 to turn off Search Highlights.
      2. It it does not exist. right-click on Windows Search and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
        1. Name it EnableDynamicContentInWSB.
        2. It should have a value of 0 by default, but if that is not the case, double-click on it and set its value to 0.
    6. Restart the Pc.

Now You: will you keep Search Highlights turned on, or will you disable it?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 25, 2022
  2. Brink Win User

Group Policy configuration: search highlights in Windows 10 and 11

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...s/ba-p/3263989

Brink, Jun 25, 2022
  3. Brink Win User
    Search highlights coming soon to Windows 10

Read more: Windows 11 Insider Dev Build 22572.1 (ni_release) - March 9 | Windows 11 Forum

Brink, Jun 25, 2022
  4. Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jun 25, 2022
Thema:

Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11

1. Rejoice! Microsoft brings Search Highlights to Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Rejoice Microsoft brings

2. Search Highlights

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Highlights: Hi. In November 1st, 2023, my Search Highlights showed the icon of the event of Day of the Dead, but when i signed in my account on a second computer I logged out the local account and signed in with my account, it changed the Search Highlights to a different event in my...
  3. Search Highlights

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Highlights: I like this feature but its not working, just shows the icons from a few days ago and on the search box nothing, help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-highlights/677a8013-99aa-41a8-9c41-5edec04abbe7
  4. Search Highlights

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Highlights: What do I need to do to prevent Microsoft from installing features such as Search Highlights https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-search-highlights-in-windows-10/d2e0ce5b-47d4-4d11-b04b-87c29145dbc3 on my computer without my permission? I...
  5. Windows 11 search results are not highlighting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 search results are not highlighting: Earlier everything was ok but at one time something gone wrong and now the search result is not highliting the location where he found a match as it was before. First screen is how it was and the second is how it is now...
  6. Windows 11 search results are not highlighting

Windows 11 search results are not highlighting: Earlier everything was ok but at one time something gone wrong and now the search result is not highliting the location where he found a match as it was before. First screen is how it was and the second is how it is now...
  7. Search Highlights !!

Search Highlights !!: I have just downloaded KB5012599 and thought the new "Search HIghlights" would be installed but can't see it ! Have I read it wrong like I did last month ? Maybe it will be released at a later date ! Unless of course I have to switch or turn something on !Brian Windows 10...
  8. Search Highlights !!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Search Highlights !!: I have just downloaded KB5012599 and thought the new "Search HIghlights" would be installed but can't see it ! Have I read it wrong like I did last month ? Maybe it will be released at a later date ! Unless of course I have to switch or turn something on !Brian Windows 10...
  9. KB5011543 Update brings Search Highlights to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    KB5011543 Update brings Search Highlights to Windows 10: KB5011543 Update for Windows 10 is rolling out to users as a Cumulative Preview Update. It brings a new feature called Search Highlights. [ATTACH] You may be aware about it, if you read my article about Windows 11 Build 22572, which was released for Insiders. In a nutshell,...
  10. Search Highlight !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Search Highlight !: Good morning, I downloaded the optional update KB5011543 today, I was hoping to get the "Search Highlight" feature in my search box but can't see anything ! I think the update came with various fixes but no sign of the Search highlights !! I have right clicked on the taskbar...