Windows 10: Relation between a logged-in MSFT account and its local counterpart

Discus and support Relation between a logged-in MSFT account and its local counterpart in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; From what I understand, Windows 10 creates a local account that corresponds to the connected Microsoft account based on its initial login credentials.... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by StillAz, Jul 9, 2019.

1. StillAz Win User

Relation between a logged-in MSFT account and its local counterpart

From what I understand, Windows 10 creates a local account that corresponds to the connected Microsoft account based on its initial login credentials. However, a discrepancy seems to occur when I change the password on the Microsoft account itself, and that the previously created local account does not update its credentials.

This discrepancy causes an issue on the SMB servers that are on both my laptop and desktop, where the permissions are set to that only the connected Microsoft account can read and write to the share; the issue lies in that whenever I change my password, I have to guess which credentials to use that I initially set up the device with. I expect the Security Account Manager (SAM) to update the local user credentials to the Microsoft one instead of the initial login credentials that are used to set up this account, but it does not. My initial thought was to force a password change via user management or even `net user`, but that does not work since it tells me I gotta do it through the online provider's page (i.e. account.microsoft.com).

TL;DR: Is there a way that I can force SAM to update or sync the credentials with my MSFT account one?

:)

StillAz, Jul 9, 2019

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jul 9, 2019
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Log out of local account

Hi,

Logging in an account to the Windows Store will automatically bound your local account with your Microsoft account. You can log in to the

web version of the WindowsStore
    instead to prevent this issue from recurring. To log out an account of the Windows Store, kindly follow these steps:

• Open Windows Store.
    • Click your account icon beside the Search box.

Relation between a logged-in MSFT account and its local counterpart 324b6283-915b-4863-b7e7-8dcc637170e9.png
    • Click your profile.

Relation between a logged-in MSFT account and its local counterpart 3474ff0a-d0b8-4bc3-bea4-019c3c0e889e.png
    • Click Sign out.

Now, proceed in removing your Microsoft account and password by following these steps:

• Go to Settings>Account>Your email and accounts.
    • Click Sign in with a local account instead and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • After setting up the new local account, go back to Settings>Account>Your email and accounts.
    • Select your email account and click Remove.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Jul 9, 2019
  4. Relation between a logged-in MSFT account and its local counterpart

Switch Back to Existing Local Account from Microsoft Account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest that you follow the steps below and check if you can log into your computer using the Local Account.

• On the Search Bar type “User Account”.
      • On the right menu pane locate and click “Make changes to my account in this PC”.
      • Then locate and click on “Sign in With a Local Account instead”.
      • And follow on screen instructions.
    Hope this information is helpful.

Vanessa Sohtun, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

Relation between a logged-in MSFT account and its local counterpart

1. Relation between a logged-in MSFT account and its local counterpart - Similar Threads - Relation between logged

2. log in with pin on a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    log in with pin on a local account: I am currently trying to change my already set pin on windows 10, and windows is not allowing me.My computer has always had a local user, I purposely never used a logged in account because most of the time I do not want a password on my pc at all.A while ago I set a pin as my...
  3. log in with pin on a local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    log in with pin on a local account: I am currently trying to change my already set pin on windows 10, and windows is not allowing me.My computer has always had a local user, I purposely never used a logged in account because most of the time I do not want a password on my pc at all.A while ago I set a pin as my...
  4. log in with pin on a local account

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?: On one of my Windows 10 Pro laptops I sign in with Windows Hello and can choose to enter a pin, fingerprint scan or password. My account username is "Jamie" and my profile folder shares the same name. I do not sign in to Windows with my Microsoft account username and password...
  6. Help with Log In as Local Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Log In as Local Account: So my PC for some weird reason forces me to add the prefix " .\ " before my username. By default, it expects me to login as a domain. Is there any way to change this? So I can login using only my username (and password)? submitted by /u/Watchmen__ [link] [comments]...
  7. Local account log in

Local account log in: I accidenatlly logged into my computer using my mom’s microsoft account and now all my personaliziations are the ones from her computer and I cannot log out. Also, when I went accounts in settings the “log into local account instead” message isn’t there Thank you...
  8. Relation between local security policy and event viewer

Relation between local security policy and event viewer: I was checking why I can not see the users that logging on and off on my desktop under event viewer. Someone on YouTube mentioned that I have to enable it on Local policy after that I can see who is using my computer. What is the relation between Local security policy and...
  9. Not able to log into Cortana with my MSFT corporate account

in Cortana
    Not able to log into Cortana with my MSFT corporate account: Just installed Cortana on iPhone XR / iOS 12.1 -- login with my corporate account returns an error BEFORE even entering password. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-log-into-cortana-with-my-msft/0e4b9264-dccb-4f1b-96d1-82cf514e02b0"
  10. Caught between local and Microsoft accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Caught between local and Microsoft accounts: One of my Windows 10 systems is in a weird state in between local and Microsoft accounts. 1. There is no "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" or "Sign in with a local account instead" option under Settings/Accounts/Your info. This page shows my local account name,...