Windows 10: Releasing Standby memory

Discus and support Releasing Standby memory in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro, 32GB memory, 970 GTX GPU. Ordinary boring, but previously very capable desktop. I'm running a couple Adobe tools. Needless to say,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GracieAllen, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Releasing Standby memory

Windows 10 Pro, 32GB memory, 970 GTX GPU. Ordinary boring, but previously very capable desktop.

I'm running a couple Adobe tools. Needless to say, they are total pigs. And it appears they've gotten WORSE in the current version. When the Adobe products are up and running, everything on the system has major lag.

When I looked at the resource monitor, of 32GB of memory, something over 15GB is reserved for "Standby Memory" and the system shows around 97MB (yes, MB) available. And the Standby Memory STAYS at over 15GB whether Any of the Adobe products are running or not...

I don't REMEMBER ever seeing this in previous versions of Windows 10.

In the Resource Monitor I can sometimes see the system churning the pagefile.

There apparently used to be something called RamMAP that was downloaded from MS to force the system to free Standby Memory, but it doesn't appear to work any more...

Do I have a memory issue, and if so, do I need more page file? Less page file? Let the system manage the page file? Do I need to somehow make Windows 10 release a bunch of that Standby memory? If so, how?

:)

GracieAllen, Jan 19, 2020
  2. srrese Win User

standby memory not releasing

Windows 10 ver 1903 standby memory not releasing, have to use Rammap all the time. All drivers are up to date, no malware or virus, any thoughts?

srrese, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Windows 10 not releasing standby memory when required.

A restart does indeed free the standby memory. It quickly climbs to about 2.5GB (most being mapped files) when I open my standard programs.

So I did 3 tests..

1. While running Overwatch, loaded as many programs/webrowser tabs as I could to get Zero + Free close to 0 MBytes. The standby memory stayed very close to the same size (checked this by refreshing RAMMap a number of times during the testing period). Opened
    one more small memory footprint program to see if the standby memory would free but instead had errors with programs not being able to allocate memory. Taskmgr showed that is was only using 9.7GB at the time.

Restarted.

2. Ran Overwatch for a bit, closed it down. According to Taskmgr->Details Overwatch was no longer running. RAMMap showed the large overwatch files in standby memory which at the time I would expect it to as I still had over 6GB Free (according to RAMMap). Again
    opened programs to get to close to 0 Free/Zero MBytes, refreshed RAMMap but standby memory stayed. Opened the last program and same error.

Restarted

3. Same as other tests but DIDN'T run Overwatch. Standby memory (2.5GB) Same problem again.

I didn't get to see in the first test but did in the last two was that when windows gives the low/no memory error it then starts to release the standby memory, but it's too slow and memory allocation fails. So it's not that the standby memory won't release,
    just that it's too slow to be useful. This seems like Windows isn't managing the memory properly.

WallyWalrick, Jan 20, 2020
  4. Markus Win User

Releasing Standby memory

Free Standby Memory without a Reboot

You can use RAMMap v1.5 (RAMMap - Windows Sysinternals)

1. Download RamMap from Microsoft Windows Sysinternals.
    2. Run RamMap (installation is not required).
    3. Wait until UseCounts shows the memory map.
    4. On the Menu Strip, indentify the Empty menu item. Click on it and choose Empty
    5. Standby List from the dropdown menu. Press F5 to
      update the Use Counts tab or check the memory tab on the Windows
      Resource Monitor to check that the Standby Memory has been released.

Source: https://support.software.dell.com/appassure/kb/118393

Markus, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Releasing Standby memory

1. Releasing Standby memory - Similar Threads - Releasing Standby memory

2. Standby Memory filling up quickly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Standby Memory filling up quickly: I understand that this seemed to be a Windows 10 problem, and any solutions I find online don't seem to help. My standby memory fills up my free space on my laptop so quickly, and I don't know what could be causing it. It's hindering my game performance causing minor glitches...
  3. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Standby Memory: Hello community! I've had a recurring issue exactly like the one stated in this article. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-staterepository-state-repository/a2fc48f9-bdb1-4f33-9692-3750dc7d79f5?page=1. While trying to find information about the...
  4. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Standby Memory: Hello community! I've had a recurring issue exactly like the one stated in this article. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-staterepository-state-repository/a2fc48f9-bdb1-4f33-9692-3750dc7d79f5?page=1. While trying to find information about the...
  5. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. High Standby Memory usage

High Standby Memory usage: Standby memory cache is something that Windows is has from a lot of time, and actually increase performance a lot and is a good thing, but what is not a good thing is that on my 4 GB RAM, it dumps a lot if cache in memory. In resource monitor and in task manager, I see that...
  7. Computer holding onto Standby memory, not releasing it to free memory when needed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer holding onto Standby memory, not releasing it to free memory when needed: So I’m having a memory problem which is causing programs to freeze and/or crash. What happens is, when I’m gaming usually, the computer builds up standby memory (super fast). It occupies half of my RAM (so, around 8/16 gigs) but doesn’t free it up even though it is needed....
  8. Memory Standby High

Memory Standby High: For some reason, my standby memory is really high, and when I empty it using RamMap it comes back like a 100 megabytes a second. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-standby-high/3a6a7a74-f99f-435d-a9da-59d139caf7ff
  9. standby memory not releasing

standby memory not releasing: Windows 10 ver 1903 standby memory not releasing, have to use Rammap all the time. All drivers are up to date, no malware or virus, any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standby-memory-not-releasing/e5341242-acc1-4a88-927d-bf7842fd3a54
  10. Standby memory and gaming dilemma

in Windows 10 Support
    Standby memory and gaming dilemma: After experiencing frequent crashing with The Sims 2, I applied the standby memory fix, setting the Task Scheduler to clear standby memory every 5 minutes. It solved my crashing, but it seems to come with the price of making the general Windows system hang and lag constantly...