Windows 10: Releasing virtual memory does not increase C: drive space

Discus and support Releasing virtual memory does not increase C: drive space in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All, In my new windows 10 PC after installing only a few applications, the C:\ was nearly 80 GB. The OS itself is taking around 20-30 GB. But the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Shishir Rao, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Releasing virtual memory does not increase C: drive space

Hi All,

In my new windows 10 PC after installing only a few applications, the C:\ was nearly 80 GB. The OS itself is taking around 20-30 GB. But the pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys are nearly 20 GB and 30GB respectively. I saw on another thread that I could reduce the pagefile.sys through adjusting the virtual memory size. I managed to reduce the virtual memory to 2 GB. After restarting the system, I don't however see an increase in hard disk space in C:\ drive. Where did the 18 GB go?

:)

Shishir Rao, Feb 11, 2021
  2. SChia1 Win User

Increase C drive space

How do I increase C drive space from D drive

SChia1, Feb 11, 2021
  3. Anwille Win User
    extend c drive storage space

Hi, I'm , an Independent Advisor.

Disk Management is a Windows built-in tool that supports to increase partition size with its "Extend Volume" feature. However, the program has some limitations in increasing disk space:

- Extend Volume only works on NTFS and RAW partition. FAT32 and other file systems are not supported.

- The Extend Volume will grey out if there is no adjacent unallocated space behind the target partition.

So, the ways to increasing C drive with or without adjacent unallocated space are different. Open the Disk Management, and follow the right tutorials listed below to extend the local disk C drive on your own now:

#1. Increase C Drive Space with Adjacent Unallocated Space

Step 1. Right-click This PC/My Computer, click "Manage", select "Disk Management" under Storage.

Step 2. Locate and right-click on the local disk C drive, and choose "Extend Volume".

Step 3. Set and add more space to your system C drive and click "Next" to continue.

Step 4. Click "Finish" to complete the process.

Note that if that unallocated space on your system disk is not behind the C drive, you can't extend C drive in Disk Management.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help you further!

Anwille, Feb 11, 2021
  4. S-and-S Win User

Releasing virtual memory does not increase C: drive space

Virtual Memory

No, it should not.

When you increase your virtual memory, you are increasing the amount of hard drive space
    that is available to be used as virtual memory. Your computer may not have actually used all that space, and probably didn't.

S-and-S, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

Releasing virtual memory does not increase C: drive space

1. Releasing virtual memory does not increase C: drive space - Similar Threads - Releasing virtual memory

2. Increasing virtual memory on set of AVD sessions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Increasing virtual memory on set of AVD sessions: Hello everyone I have a customer for whom we have provisioned 80-90 numbers of Azure Virtual desktops in Azure pooled environment.After we put it in production, users faced performance issue with slowness of system and overrun of application based buffer size. When I drilled...
  3. Increasing virtual memory on set of AVD sessions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Increasing virtual memory on set of AVD sessions: Hello everyone I have a customer for whom we have provisioned 80-90 numbers of Azure Virtual desktops in Azure pooled environment.After we put it in production, users faced performance issue with slowness of system and overrun of application based buffer size. When I drilled...
  4. Increase C drive Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Increase C drive Space: Is there a way to add a USB drive space to the C drive on Windows 10. Only have 32GB on C drive so cannot update Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-c-drive-space/65fb40ff-9391-4c4f-bb83-01992918f36a
  5. BSOD and Virtual Memory usage steadily increasing

BSOD and Virtual Memory usage steadily increasing: I have a Vivobook S14 with it being up to date to Windows. I installed a third party program which tracks memory and cleans it. Whenever I check it, virtual memory usage always starts to slowly increase. Once it reaches 98%,simple programs like Google Chrome start to fail,...
  6. How to get Rid of Increased Virtual Memory

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to get Rid of Increased Virtual Memory: [img] Yesterday its showing 2.7gb Virtual memory but today it increased to this much. How to get back 2.7 gb Virtual Memory to save space on my 120gb WD Green SSD. 148201
  7. How to increase disc space on C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to increase disc space on C drive: Hello all, I bought a new PC, but the C drive is split in 2 partitions ( C & D ). I tried to remove 100 GB from D, and add it to the C drive, but I'm not allowed to do that... There is no option to increase disc space on the C drive. Also tried to reinstall Windows 10 and...
  8. How to increase disc space on C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to increase disc space on C drive: Hello all, I bought a new PC, but the C drive is split in 2 partitions ( C & D ). I tried to remove 100 GB from D, and add it to the C drive, but I'm not allowed to do that... There is no option to increase disc space on the C drive. Also tried to reinstall Windows 10 and...
  9. Increase C drive space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increase C drive space: How do I increase C drive space from D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-c-drive-space/4fc39454-1d83-4007-9bfd-8e577eb00f64
  10. Release space the partition C

Release space the partition C: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, please let me know how space is released on partition C. I'm waiting for an answer! A good day!. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/release-space-the-partition-c/36209208-a18b-4dc6-ad6b-ffa01330da3d