Windows 10: Reliable USB3 powered hubs?

Discus and support Reliable USB3 powered hubs? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings. I have purchased and used a few usb3 hubs. All have failed over time. Even the powered ones. Anyone have recommendations for ones that are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MachineLanguage, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Reliable USB3 powered hubs?

Greetings. I have purchased and used a few usb3 hubs. All have failed over time. Even the powered ones. Anyone have recommendations for ones that are reliable that will support 5 or more usb drives/sticks ? thx.

:)

MachineLanguage, Jul 24, 2019
  2. Mikey Win User

2 laptop drives into powered usb3 hub

I'm trying to connect 2 2.5" laptop drives (both are mechanical) to a USB3 hub.

I've tried with 2 different USB3 hubs - both have power adapters. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to tell if they are powering or not... however these are 2 different hubs with 2 different respective adapters. So my guess is something else is going on.

When I plug the drives into my laptop directly into USB 3 ports, they can work simultaneously without problems.

But what I want to do is to plug them both into the hub which is plugged into one usb3 port on the laptop.

And with both powered hubs, I cannot access them simultaneously that way. Weird things happen. Sometimes one of the drives will lock up explorer when accessed, for example.

Is this not really advised? I figured if the hub is powered then it would be ok.

If I have 2 usb3 flash drives in the hub at the same time, they will work and not affect things. The problem is just when the 2 mechanical drives are both plugged in. Just to be clear. It doesn't matter which of the 2 usb 3.0 hubs (w/power adapter) that I use.

Mikey, Jul 24, 2019
  3. toolman59 Win User
    BIOS not detecting USB3 pen drives in USB3 Hub

When I open the BIOS the pen drives plugged into the USB3 hub are not listed in the "Boot priority settings", however, if a pen drive is plugged directly into the PC USB3 or USB2 port it appears in the "Boot priority settings".
    Once booted into Windows 10 all USB2 and USB3 pen drives in the hub are recognised.

The hub is an "EasyAcc USB 3.0 7 Port Bus-Powered and Self-Powered 2-in-1 Hub ".
    The Mother board is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. All the latest drivers are installed.

Is it possible for a BIOS to see pen drives plugged into a hub? I am not sure whether I was unlucky in my choice of hub and chose one with the limitation of being blind to the BIOS, or this a normal for all hubs?

toolman59, Jul 24, 2019
  4. swarfega Win User

Reliable USB3 powered hubs?

Powered USB Hub

I bought a little powered usb3 hub from maplins once to power a keyboard. Have you looked on Amazon?

swarfega, Jul 24, 2019
Thema:

Reliable USB3 powered hubs?

1. Reliable USB3 powered hubs? - Similar Threads - Reliable USB3 powered

2. How can USB3 Power Management Function Crash a PC ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can USB3 Power Management Function Crash a PC ?: Hi there,Six months ago, I replaced my 6-year-old PC with a new one Ryzen 7600, MSI Mainboard, RTX4090 + 4K MSI Monitor - G-Sync, and Thermaltake 80Plus 1000W running Windows 11. This machine was great, but unfortunately, it had strange symptoms leading to freeze and...
  3. 7 port usb3 hub surface book 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    7 port usb3 hub surface book 3: Hi I purchased an Anker usb3 powered hub with 7 ports+3IQ but SB3 displays an error message stating it can only handle 5 ports... The hub has exactly 5 usb devices connected to it leaving 2 empty and only 3 are relayed and working while the other 2 devices won't connect....
  4. USB Hub - Powered or not?

USB Hub - Powered or not?: I've run out of USB Ports on my PC, so I'm looking at a 4 port Hub. My question is this: Do I need a powered Hub or non-powered Hub? Devices to be connected to the Hub are Mouse, Keyboard, USB Headphones and phone charging via USB cable. Thanks. 164695
  5. Windows10 - USB HUB Power Management

Windows10 - USB HUB Power Management: Hi, I've seen the problem same Jeff mentioned below on the latest Windows10 version when I plug USB flash drive to the HUB that use USB2412 chip. (No issue found if direct plug to the host PC). You can see post from Jeff on below link: One solution that I've tried and...
  6. USB2 and USB3

USB2 and USB3: Win 10 seems to sort problems its own way. On Win 7, there's no trouble about plugging in USB 2 devices. But when I plug in my camera [PRAKTICA Z250 - not a Smithsonian exhibit] on the Win 10 pc the pics don't download with an on-screen choice, no matter how I set up the...
  7. USB2 and USB3

USB2 and USB3: Win 10 seems to sort problems its own way. On Win 7, there's no trouble about plugging in USB 2 devices. But when I plug in my camera [PRAKTICA Z250 - not a Smithsonian exhibit] on the Win 10 pc the pics don't download with an on-screen choice, no matter how I set up the...
  8. Powered USB Hub

Powered USB Hub: Could someone wise please recommend a quality 4 port v3.0 powered USB hub with a UK mains plug PSU? I need it for keyboard, mouse, printer and Saitek X52 Pro joystick - the latter will not work unpowered with the rest. I've had a devil of a time trying to find Best Buy...
  9. BIOS not detecting USB3 pen drives in USB3 Hub

BIOS not detecting USB3 pen drives in USB3 Hub: When I open the BIOS the pen drives plugged into the USB3 hub are not listed in the "Boot priority settings", however, if a pen drive is plugged directly into the PC USB3 or USB2 port it appears in the "Boot priority settings". Once booted into Windows 10 all USB2 and USB3...
  10. USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket

in Windows 10 Support
    USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket: Hi there crazy --I have a laptop with 1 USB3 socket and 2 USB2 sockets. The USB3 socket is also a "charging" usb socket. Now if I plug a USB3 HDD (Toshiba) into a USB2 socket where I've connected a powered USB2 hub I'm getting copy speeds of around 76 mb/s. The same HDD...