Windows 10: Relocate default documents in windows 10

Discus and support Relocate default documents in windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After the March update, the default documents folder is a fixed system folder tied to One Drive. I don't use One Drive and want to remove it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Al Cornish, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Relocate default documents in windows 10

After the March update, the default documents folder is a fixed system folder tied to One Drive. I don't use One Drive and want to remove it and relocate my Documents folder to another drive. How can this be done without disrupting other system functions?

:)

Al Cornish, Mar 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Relocate default documents in windows 10

Windows 10, relocate Public\Documents

I have looked at lots of information that is "close" but does not fit this situation. First of all, I need Windows 10 instructions, not 7 and not 8 and not 8.1. Sorry if that's a bit obnoxious, but it's been six hours on the Web with fruitless results.

When logged into Windows 10 with an administrator account, I have been able to move my Documents folder to another disk using the Properties/Location dialog.

Using the same account, trying to use the Properties/Location to move Public\Documents, the field is read only and the Move button is not presented.

I have started a Run as Admin DOS Box, killed Explorer, started Explorer from the DOS Box, hoping that the Explorer would be Run as Admin and give me the ability to edit the Location field. Did not work.

So how does one relocate Public\Documents under Window 10?

And no, I do not want to relocate the whole Public folder - there's stuff in there that belongs on the same disk weher Windows is for startup purposes. I just want to move one folder without resorting to using junctions across a disks.

Thanks.

Matthew Persico, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Relocate default documents in windows 10

1. Relocate default documents in windows 10 - Similar Threads - Relocate default documents

2. Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10: EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED!I just installed a fresh install of Windows 10 to get rid of the horrible Windows 11 and have not been able to change the default Documents directory to my second 2 TB hard drive. I was able to change all other defaults to the D:\ drive.It was initially...
  3. Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10: EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED!I just installed a fresh install of Windows 10 to get rid of the horrible Windows 11 and have not been able to change the default Documents directory to my second 2 TB hard drive. I was able to change all other defaults to the D:\ drive.It was initially...
  4. Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change Windows 10 default documents folder to Windows user's Documents instead of...

How to change Windows 10 default documents folder to Windows user's Documents instead of...: Hello, Hear is my problem : - My OneDrive's Documents folder is located at D:\OneDrive\Documents - My user's Documents folder is located at C:\Users\lub\Documents I don't know why windows 10 used my OneDrive's Documents folder to store everything from all of the...
  6. Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location: Part of my job is to login to customer's laptops who bought them from us for a tuning session. I often advice them to NOT connect to the internet while creating the account during the initial setup wizard otherwise they will be forced to sign in with a Microsoft account....
  7. default "Documents" folder

default "Documents" folder: Can someone help me change my default "Documents" folder setting? What happened, I believe, is that when I was first installing W10, I was happily clicking through the setup checkboxes, asking if you want this there and that here, and something else over in this place. At...
  8. Windows 10 Mail as default for sending office documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Mail as default for sending office documents: I was just researching how to make Windows 10 Mail the program to use when sending from within Office applications. I stopped researching after getting an official sounding message from an authority saying .. you can only use "email-clients" as programs for sending...
  9. OneDrive Documents acts as default directory for Documents.

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Documents acts as default directory for Documents.: Hi, everyone. I've trying out the new preview, 10240. Everything works fine except for the default documents folder (and the same for Images). As my screenshots reveal, by default the documents and images folder are the ones with OneDrive. (My system is in Spanish, but it...
  10. Relocating Documents etc to another partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocating Documents etc to another partition: I'm setting up a new laptop on Windows 10 for the first time, and I want to move Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc to another partition. I've had problems in this area on previous Windows versions so want to make sure I do it correctly. Let's say I create a new folder...