Windows 10: Relocate folder locations

Discus and support Relocate folder locations in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I got myself into this mess. Please pleaseee, if anyone could help me solving it I'd be really grateful since it's driving me mad. Initially I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mewpraew, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Mewpraew Win User

Relocate folder locations

I got myself into this mess. Please pleaseee, if anyone could help me solving it I'd be really grateful since it's driving me mad.

Initially I wanted to relocate my main folders such as Documents/Music/Downloads etc. into new location. However, I somehow managed to combine the 'target location' of Downloads, Pictures and Music together and for the life of me, I cannot split them.

I tried to relocation each one to the new assigned folder but they ended up combining anyway.

i also tried restore to default for each of them.

Since I also suck at explaining, here is the photo attached below

Relocate folder locations [​IMG]

:)

Mewpraew, Oct 27, 2016
  2. CASmith15 Win User

Moving folders from OneDrive to C: drive

Kind-of wish there was a good answer here that I can understand -- having the same problem/question.

New Windows 10 system/computer -- came pre-setup with my Documents and Pictures folders located in the OneDrive folder (the place you put things to be synced with OneDrive). The location of the OneDrive folder on my PC is C:\Users\ron -- and hence the locations
    of my Documents folder is at C:\Users\ron\OneDrive.

But I also have a Documents folder under the "This PC" folder with a location of C:\Users\ron\OneDrive. Obviously these are the same folders, same location -- but how do I get it moved from under the OneDrive folder to somewhere NOT under the OneDrive folder.
    I tried just moving it -- that didn't seem to work. I tried deleting the Documents under the OneDrive folder -- that didn't work either.

So what is the secret to get the Document relocated somewhere other than under the OneDrive folder. I see a lot of comments about relocating the OneDrive Folder -- but I don't want to relocate the OneDrive folder, I want to relocate the Documents folder.

Also, about the Documents folder being in two places at the same time, but the same folder -- how did they do that, or what is the setup to create that situation.

ron in round rock

CASmith15, Oct 27, 2016
  3. LBXZero Win User
    Will there be installation problems with PCs that use directory junctions to relocate the Users folder?

In my computer's setup, the C drive is a 240GB SSD and the D drive is a 2 TB HDD. Due to previous bad experiences relocating the bulky Users folders from the C drive to the D drive through the "Location" tab in select folders, I use the directory junction
    link method of relocating the Users folder to the appropriate drive.

With the User folder on the C drive being a junction link to the User folder on the D drive, will there be problems upgrading either Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10?

Further, is there an actual working option that doesn't break and cause other wild problems, the location tab in specific User folder properties for example, in Windows 10 to properly relocate the Users folder to a secondary drive?

LBXZero, Oct 27, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Have you tried the Restore Default?

essenbe, Oct 27, 2016
  5. Mewpraew Win User
    Yes, I tried that several times as well

Mewpraew, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Relocate folder locations - Similar Threads - Relocate folder locations

2. Relocating Folders in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Relocating Folders in Explorer: I use Documents quite a bit, and it's been a real pain having to use SHFT+CTRL+E every time I want to expand my Documents folder in Quick Access. I'd like to be able to move or at least copy all those folders Documents, Downloads, Music, and Pictures Into My PC so I can...
  3. Relocating Folders in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Relocating Folders in Explorer: I use Documents quite a bit, and it's been a real pain having to use SHFT+CTRL+E every time I want to expand my Documents folder in Quick Access. I'd like to be able to move or at least copy all those folders Documents, Downloads, Music, and Pictures Into My PC so I can...
  4. Folder relocation/renaming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder relocation/renaming: Hi Team,My question is regarding the renaming and relocation of Folders in a company Drive: We have a number of folders that are named in Dutch and wish to add an English translation in the name as well as maybe relocating some them to a different folder.Are the above...
  5. Folder relocation/renaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder relocation/renaming: Hi Team,My question is regarding the renaming and relocation of Folders in a company Drive: We have a number of folders that are named in Dutch and wish to add an English translation in the name as well as maybe relocating some them to a different folder.Are the above...
  6. Folder relocation/renaming

7. Relocation of Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Relocation of Folders: Can I change the location of folders, say Photos, from SSD drive to internal hard drive? From C drive to D drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/relocation-of-folders/60ff9525-9da6-4468-bba8-bdc0ab627629
  8. Relocation of Folders

Relocation of Folders: Can I change the location of folders, say Photos, from SSD drive to internal hard drive? From C drive to D drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/relocation-of-folders/60ff9525-9da6-4468-bba8-bdc0ab627629
  9. Relocating Users Folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Relocating Users Folder: Does the Users folder have to be relocated to an empty drive on an existing win 10 installation, or is any local drive ok? 39109
  10. Relocating System Storage Folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Relocating System Storage Folders: I'm currently running an SSD drive for my operating system. It's only 120 GB and what to do is move the storage folders (ie, My Music, My Videos, My Documents, etc etc etc) to another drive to reduce strain on the SSD Drive. As we all know SSD Drives can be fickle, but so...