Windows 10: Relocating Documents etc to another partition

Discus and support Relocating Documents etc to another partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm setting up a new laptop on Windows 10 for the first time, and I want to move Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc to another partition. I've had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fred S, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Fred S Win User

Relocating Documents etc to another partition

I'm setting up a new laptop on Windows 10 for the first time, and I want to move Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc to another partition. I've had problems in this area on previous Windows versions so want to make sure I do it correctly.

Let's say I create a new folder called Documents on the new partition i.e E:\Documents, I then want Downloads, Pictures as sub-folders within this. These are all listed under This PC, so do I go to the Properties of each one in turn, enter the new path e.g for Downloads make it E:\Documents\Downloads, and Apply, letting it create the new folder?

Is this correct?
    Should I leave the actual Documents folder until last? I take it the location would just be E:\Documents?

Thanks

:)

Fred S, Nov 20, 2015

2. Files

What if I moved my documents/pictures/music/videos folders to another partition on a different HDD (D: partition)? Will Windows 10 still see these files after the upgrade? Can I just relocate them in file explorer?

SnTHoliday, Nov 20, 2015
  3. Relocating the Documents Folder caused it to be renamed as Music Folder

I was relocating the system folders downloads, documents, music etc to a HDD rather than the SSD when I made a mistake, relocating the music folder as the root of drive E:. Unaware of the mistake I then relocated the Documents folder to E:\Documents, a warning
    came up after the create folder prompt, I thought I was backing out of the change by clcking no to the warning about system folders within system folders but it went through. So now my Documents folder is labled Music, I have managed to relocate the Music
    and Documents folders to their correct places but the name has stuck to the Documents - I have two Music folders!

Any ideas on how to put the correct name back would be gratefully accepted...

PlasticHead, Nov 20, 2015
Thema:

Relocating Documents etc to another partition

1. Relocating Documents etc to another partition - Similar Threads - Relocating Documents etc

2. Aliased Folder Name in Another Language Desktop, Documents, etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Aliased Folder Name in Another Language Desktop, Documents, etc.: Hi I just bought a machine with win11 on it and I think how the OS handles aliased folders differently than win10.I set up the machine fresh today, and I selected every language choice "English US" but since I have a Microsoft account registered back in China Chinese as the...
  3. Aliased Folder Name in Another Language Desktop, Documents, etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Aliased Folder Name in Another Language Desktop, Documents, etc.: Hi I just bought a machine with win11 on it and I think how the OS handles aliased folders differently than win10.I set up the machine fresh today, and I selected every language choice "English US" but since I have a Microsoft account registered back in China Chinese as the...
  4. How to relocate installation of System Managed partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to relocate installation of System Managed partition: Ok, before I describe my issue, let me explain a few things.When installing windows for the first time, there are 2 partitions that are made. A system managed partition, and a primary partition. The system managed partition is what I assume to be the location of the EFI or...
  5. How to relocate installation of System Managed partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to relocate installation of System Managed partition: Ok, before I describe my issue, let me explain a few things.When installing windows for the first time, there are 2 partitions that are made. A system managed partition, and a primary partition. The system managed partition is what I assume to be the location of the EFI or...
  6. How to relocate installation of System Managed partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Hide recovery partition after relocating

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hide recovery partition after relocating: Hello everyone!I have recently did some trickery with the Recovery Partition under my Windows 10 installation, since I wanted to dual-boot first, but it didn't work, so I wanted to expand my Windows partition all across my 250GB SSD. That required me to move the Recovery...
  8. Relocate default documents in windows 10

Relocate default documents in windows 10: After the March update, the default documents folder is a fixed system folder tied to One Drive. I don't use One Drive and want to remove it and relocate my Documents folder to another drive. How can this be done without disrupting other system functions?...
  9. Sending documents etc to eprinter

Sending documents etc to eprinter: How do I send bills etc via email from the "Send to" option from menu to remote eprinter? I have tried several times but it says my laptop doesn't have an email option, although I have an email account....
  10. Multiple Documents, etc folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Multiple Documents, etc folders: My Win7 had My Documents, My Downloads, etc setup on the D drive. The default for Win 10 after the upgrade has the C drive Users area as default. There is no location tab on the Win10 folders. How can I get the default to save to the D drive? 15663