Windows 10: Relocating Documents etc to another partition

Discus and support Relocating Documents etc to another partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm setting up a new laptop on Windows 10 for the first time, and I want to move Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc to another partition. I've had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fred S, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Fred S Win User

Relocating Documents etc to another partition

I'm setting up a new laptop on Windows 10 for the first time, and I want to move Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc to another partition. I've had problems in this area on previous Windows versions so want to make sure I do it correctly.

Let's say I create a new folder called Documents on the new partition i.e E:\Documents, I then want Downloads, Pictures as sub-folders within this. These are all listed under This PC, so do I go to the Properties of each one in turn, enter the new path e.g for Downloads make it E:\Documents\Downloads, and Apply, letting it create the new folder?

Is this correct?
    Should I leave the actual Documents folder until last? I take it the location would just be E:\Documents?

Thanks

:)

Fred S, Nov 20, 2015

2. Files

What if I moved my documents/pictures/music/videos folders to another partition on a different HDD (D: partition)? Will Windows 10 still see these files after the upgrade? Can I just relocate them in file explorer?

SnTHoliday, Nov 20, 2015
  3. Relocating the Documents Folder caused it to be renamed as Music Folder

I was relocating the system folders downloads, documents, music etc to a HDD rather than the SSD when I made a mistake, relocating the music folder as the root of drive E:. Unaware of the mistake I then relocated the Documents folder to E:\Documents, a warning
    came up after the create folder prompt, I thought I was backing out of the change by clcking no to the warning about system folders within system folders but it went through. So now my Documents folder is labled Music, I have managed to relocate the Music
    and Documents folders to their correct places but the name has stuck to the Documents - I have two Music folders!

Any ideas on how to put the correct name back would be gratefully accepted...

PlasticHead, Nov 20, 2015
Thema:

Relocating Documents etc to another partition

1. Relocating Documents etc to another partition - Similar Threads - Relocating Documents etc

2. Synching folders on another partition to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Synching folders on another partition to OneDrive: I'm trying to back up my music to OneDrive. Music folder is located on a separate partition to OneDrive Folder. I can't seem to be able to do it without physically copying the music folder to the partition where OneDrive resides. I made a link with mklink successfully and the...
  3. The document is locked for editing by another user problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    The document is locked for editing by another user problem: Hi all I have a problem where one of our users cannot always see the name of another user that currently has a file open that they also want to edit. When the user receives the message "The document is locked for editing by another user" if the message displays the username...
  4. sync icon overlay on documents, pictures etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    sync icon overlay on documents, pictures etc: Hi I have the latest october build on my PC brand new install. In one drive I have told it not to sync desktop/documents However my documents/desktop/picture folder all have a little sync icon on, and every file within them does as well. I have checked under 'show...
  5. Backup one partition to another

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup one partition to another: Hi, I have two basic GPT partitions (except from the WINRE and EFI system partitions) C:[Windows] and D:[Data] I want to create a periodic image backup of C: in D: Is that possible to do that using the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) that comes also with Windows 10 or only...
  6. Have a recovery partition, How to install 10 on another partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Have a recovery partition, How to install 10 on another partition?: I have a windows 10 working just fine on a new gaming PC. I want to use the same recovery partition, Only to create a new instance of the OS on another partition on the same hard drive. I know how to format/repartition the drive. I want to do this so I can use a copy of...
  7. Relocating Users Folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Relocating Users Folder: Does the Users folder have to be relocated to an empty drive on an existing win 10 installation, or is any local drive ok? 39109
  8. Multiple Documents, etc folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Multiple Documents, etc folders: My Win7 had My Documents, My Downloads, etc setup on the D drive. The default for Win 10 after the upgrade has the C drive Users area as default. There is no location tab on the Win10 folders. How can I get the default to save to the D drive? 15663
  9. Relocate folder locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocate folder locations: I got myself into this mess. Please pleaseee, if anyone could help me solving it I'd be really grateful since it's driving me mad. Initially I wanted to relocate my main folders such as Documents/Music/Downloads etc. into new location. However, I somehow managed to combine...
  10. Relocating Pictures directory.

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocating Pictures directory.: I installed Windows 10 about a month ago, and I changed the default location of "Pictures", "Downloads", "Documents", "Audio" and "Video" folder. I changed them so they resided on my 750 Gb storage drive instead of my 120 Gb SSD drive. All was fine. Now, last week after the...