Windows 10: Relocating User data

Discus and support Relocating User data in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I know we can relocate default user data either during installation or later on. My question is, (and this is for user data only and not other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BigMickDo, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Relocating User data

So I know we can relocate default user data either during installation or later on.

My question is, (and this is for user data only and not other system folders), what happens when you do a reinstall?

My setup: C: for windows and software, D: for regular data and games, and E: this is for work related stuff, encrypted with microsoft bitlocker.

Users;

1. I need a local adminstrator that I don't use, this is just there when installing stuff, I'm keeping it away from other users.

2. Another local non admin user, this for for day to day stuff, like games ans such.

3. Another online user (non admin) this is for work related stuff which would have its own encrypted drive.

I want 1 on C:, 2 on D: and 3 on E:

My question is, what happens when I reinstall windows? Would I be able to use the user data such as browser config and other app data (once the programs are reinstalled?).

I would prefer to do it during windows setup.

Thank you

Worth noting, this is just for curiousity, I'm looking for opinions, I honestly thing it isn't a good idea, especially the encrypted one.

submitted by /u/BigMickDo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BigMickDo, Sep 16, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

3. de123 Win User
    Windows 10 - Relocate the Users folder Part 2 -Creating Account Issue

I decided to leave your suggestion as a last resort (before re-installation). I have my AppData folder ~ 15 GB and also my user profile is placed on the bad sectors of the drive. It took me about 5 mins to login into my desktop with a lot of disk grinding. Anyway, I tried Clonezilla in a "rescue" mode (becasue of unreadable sectors) to clone my drive. I replaced the drive with the clone and It somehow worked quite well. I am able to login and within 2 secs I get usable desktop; even Cortana suddenly came alive again and my menu shows up full. I may still have to fix some minor glitches in my profile or AppData. But everything works well and my user accounts and Program Files (that allow themselves to be installed in any locations) sit happily on the second drive.
    Thank you Kari

de123, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Relocating User data

Relocate user folders

Running Windows 10. I have 4 users using this desktop. I would like to relocate the user document folders to another drive. I've tried to put a folder named J:\Users\Steve to an external drive but it comes up J:\Documents. I would like 4 folders named
    J:\Users\Steve, J:\User\Jane, J:\Users\Dale and J:\Users\Joe. How can this be accomplished. Thanks for any suggestions.

Pappacracker, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Relocating User data

1. Relocating User data - Similar Threads - Relocating User data

2. Files relocated after user login crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files relocated after user login crash: So, I've had this computer running on this god-forsaken aberration called Windows 10 since 2018 and despite all the bugs, I've never seen something like this before. Today, when I tried to log into my user account, I noticed it was taking quite a lot of time to load and after...
  3. Files relocated after user login crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files relocated after user login crash: So, I've had this computer running on this god-forsaken aberration called Windows 10 since 2018 and despite all the bugs, I've never seen something like this before. Today, when I tried to log into my user account, I noticed it was taking quite a lot of time to load and after...
  4. Relocating User Desktop Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocating User Desktop Folder Problem: I need help correcting a problem I created with the relocation of my user Desktop folder. I am new to Windows 10, and I have limited experience with Windows7. System: Lenovo M725s Windows 10 Pro, 1909 Build 18363.815 AMD Ryzen 5 Pro CPU 8 GB memory C: SSD, D: hard file I...
  5. Program Data folder relocation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Data folder relocation: Hello everyone! I would like to ask if it is possible to change the localisation of folderC:/ProgramData to another drive? if yes,could someone give me instructions please.very please. Thank you Best regards Tomasz...
  6. Having troubles with relocating users folders.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Having troubles with relocating users folders.: Hello, I am trying to follow the 'Move Users Folders to another location' (Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials) tutorial and I cannot get my Windows system to move the folders. I watched the Video, very helpful, and noticed a mention of an "all...
  7. Having troubles with relocating users folders.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Having troubles with relocating users folders.: Hello, I am trying to follow the 'Move Users Folders to another location' (Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials) tutorial and I cannot get my Windows system to move the folders. I watched the Video, very helpful, and noticed a mention of an "all...
  8. Relocating Users Folder

Relocating Users Folder: Does the Users folder have to be relocated to an empty drive on an existing win 10 installation, or is any local drive ok? 39109
  9. Issues with relocated Users folder

Issues with relocated Users folder: Hi everybody, I recently performed a clean install of Win 10, following the instruction of this Forum to relocate the users folder on another drive. Now, I'm having troubles with Microsoft Edge browser, and I'd like to restore it. I've followed the instrucions of this and...
  10. November Update on a machine with relocated Users folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    November Update on a machine with relocated Users folder: Anyone tried to install the November Update on a machine with relocated 'Users' folder (per this guide)? Does it install? Or is it necessary to bring 'Users' back to C: before installing this update? 29778