Windows 10: Remapping characters - NOT keys

Discus and support Remapping characters - NOT keys in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. I've just spent some time (again) on a Mac and there is just one thing from a Mac I would love to have in my Windows. The placement of the @... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abergers, Mar 5, 2020.

1. abergers Win User

Remapping characters - NOT keys

Hi all.

I've just spent some time (again) on a Mac and there is just one thing from a Mac I would love to have in my Windows. The placement of the @ key. I'm running a Norwegian layout on my keyboard, and therefor type AltGr+2 for my @ (opposed to the Shitf+2 for the US layout). As more and more applications use @ for tagging people, it basically sucks to do a "two-handed-move" every time I want my @.

So I downloaded SharpKeys and KeyTweak. Both nice tools for remapping keys. But that's just it. I don't want to remap the whole key, I just want to change one character / function of a key. I want my lowercase value to change, but keep my Uppercase. Did that make sense?
    As the key I want to map has * for uppercase i want to keep that, and exchange the ' symbol for @.

So pure keymapping / swapping does not seem to do the trick. I've tried to look for software that can help me, or auto replace of text in Windows 10. But so far nothing has come to the surface that helps me.

I use a laptop with it's internal keyboard as well as a docking with a attached keyboard.

Any tips or tricks out there to point me in a direction to solve this?

Grateful for any advice. And if you read this far - thank you for the time and attention.

All the best

/A

:)

abergers, Mar 5, 2020
  2. Andre Da Costa, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Keyboard character key mapping

I found yesterday that there is a way to do keyboard remapping in Windows using a special Scancode Map registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout

(a good example is available under
    https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/8359-problem-remapping-key-in-cygwin-and-putty/#entry52760
    )

However, after trying it, that remaps a key to another key, not a key to a character.

So trying to remap the "$" key to the "$" character actually remaps the "$" key to "4" (the "4" key, not the Shift-4 key).

Maybe there is a way to specify Shift-4 in the scancode map, but the KeyTweak application does not seem to make the difference between typing 4, Shift-4, Ctrl-4, Alt-4 or AltGr-4.

Also, trying to map the special Euro key is a challenge of its own as the key needs to be mapped to Alt-0128. Typing Alt-0128 does result in €, which is what is expected when hitting my special Euro key.

Lastly, it is also odd that the documented way of getting the € symbol in
    https://www.microsoft.com/typography/EuroSymbolFAQ.mspx
    , which says that typing AltGr-e should work, well, does not. Another open question for someone to answer...

So there is progress. But no solution yet.

Hopefully someone will reply with some helpful answer today or tomorrow.

Thanks.

YvesTrottier, Mar 5, 2020
  4. BB_1 Win User

Windows 10 Keyboard remapping of keys

I appreciate the suggestion. Ive triedKey Tweak, SharpKeys, and another one woth app name of MSKLC. No luck with any of them. It allowed me to enter the keys i’d like to have remapped, but after applying and then rebooting everything remained the same.

BB_1, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Remapping characters - NOT keys - Similar Threads - Remapping characters keys

2. Remap Kashmiri Keyboard Characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remap Kashmiri Keyboard Characters: Hi, I am a Kashmiri Writer, Is there a way we can remap the characters of Kashmiri Language keyboard for easy typing. If so, I would be happy to provide a lay out for this....
  3. Remap Kashmiri Keyboard Characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remap Kashmiri Keyboard Characters: Hi, I am a Kashmiri Writer, Is there a way we can remap the characters of Kashmiri Language keyboard for easy typing. If so, I would be happy to provide a lay out for this....
  4. Remap a key to be "functionless"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remap a key to be "functionless": I'd like to remap my function keys (F1-F12, not fn) to be "functionless". What I mean by that is, I'd like them to be buttons that other apps will pick up, but that don't perform any action in Windows by default. Ideally I could then map them to anything I'd like in...
  5. Remapping keyboard keys

Remapping keyboard keys: Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not (please let me know if there's a better sub), but I 'm trying to remap one of the keys on my keyboard since it doesn't seem to be working properly. Basically, I found a keyboard that someone had tossed out and I...
  6. How to remap keys?

How to remap keys?: My dad got a computer and never used it so he gave it to me. He switched caps lock to control and I want it back the way it was. I asked him for help and he never did so I was wondering if one of you guys can help me. submitted by /u/BradenMer [link] [comments]...
  7. Function keys remap?

Function keys remap?: For example, my F1 button brings up a window with how to get PC help, is it possible to remove that? submitted by /u/Bill_Cipher42 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g1ssm6/function_keys_remap/
  8. Accidentally remapped keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Accidentally remapped keys: A few hours ago, I somehow managed to accidentally remap a few of my keys. For example, my escape key has been remapped to "1". I have no idea how I managed to do this, it occurred when I was randomly typing on my keyboard....
  9. Remapping keyboard keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remapping keyboard keys: I am using a virtual desktop software (Team viewer) to control my pc from my mac. i would like to know whether it is possible to remap keyboard keys on the windows side, specifically the apple CMD key to the windows control key. thanks....
  10. Remapping & Disabling keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remapping & Disabling keys: Hi! I am new to Windows (been a Mac for ever). I am afraid of messing up my system. I really need to disable the Home button. It is next to my backspace button and I keep hitting it. needless to say, AARRGGHH.*Confused I see that there are apps that claim to remap the keys....