Windows 10: Remember window position?

Discus and support Remember window position? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In every version of Windows 10 I have used, including the most recent official build (and unlike every previous Windows including XP, Vista, 7, 8,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Drybonz, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Drybonz Win User

Remember window position?

In every version of Windows 10 I have used, including the most recent official build (and unlike every previous Windows including XP, Vista, 7, 8, etc...) my window positions on the desktop are not remembered (sticky) each time I close the window. Meaning that each time I open a window I have to either re-position it or adapt to whereever Windows has chosen to place it. This completely shoots a hole in my workflow of just about anything I am trying to do.

Does anyone know a way to fix this? I'm hoping this is not something I have to wait for MS to fix. I have submitted feedback on this with each tech preview build.

Thanks.

:)

Drybonz, Jun 29, 2015

2. Edge Doesn't Remember Window Size

Have you considered upgrading to a more recent release to see if the problem is resolved?

Andre Da Costa, Jun 29, 2015
  3. Edge Doesn't Remember Window Size

None of the above work. Guess I'll just live with the annoyance.

GregCowling, Jun 29, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Sorry, but I just don't see the same behavior. The only app that moves around for me is the Explorer window, all other apps stay where I last put them. This includes Univeral apps, desktop apps, etc...

Explorer seems to be a special case. I think there is code that is intended to "cascade" multiple windows, but this code works all the time, whether or not there is already an open explorer window, so it nudges the new window down and to right on each successive open.

Mystere, Jun 29, 2015
  5. Drybonz Win User
    Yes, it is the explorer window that I'm referring to... sorry for the confusion. In all previous versions of Windows the explorer window always opens where I left it. Windows 10 does not. This is what I need to fix.

*edit* Also, the position Windows chooses to re-open the window is random... I see no pattern to it. Regardless, I am just trying to get the old behavior back... ie, opens where I left it. This problem really slows you down if you are doing something that involves a repetitive workflow.

Drybonz, Jun 29, 2015
  6. ksdixon Win User
    oh god i have this too. i didn't know how to describe it though. i really hope we find a fix.

ksdixon, Jun 29, 2015
  7. Drybonz Win User
    It's the main thing that's driving me crazy. They fixed a good bit of the other stuff I noticed. If you can, go to the feedback tool and upvote everything related.

Drybonz, Jun 29, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Well, it's just one app. If it's that much of a problem, have you tried using something like WindowPad to script where you want windows to be?

I've looked into the Explorer window, and it seems deliberate that Explorer does this. There is a pattern. You can see it by opening multiple copes of Explorer. Each new copy opens to the right and down, until you get to a certain point, then it moves back up to the top.

Mystere, Jun 29, 2015
  9. Drybonz Win User
    It's a bug. Windows has never had this behavior in the past and it makes no sense to randomly position the windows. If you don't know if a fix (registry, whatever) that's OK, but that is what I am after.

Drybonz, Jun 29, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Mystere is right. It's not a bug. It does this in Windows 8.1 update too.

Remember window position? [​IMG]

Cliff S, Jun 29, 2015
  11. Drybonz Win User
    Nope... this did not happen for me in any version of Windows previous to 10. I never set it to cascade windows, but have never had this before now ever.

*edit* To clarify... open windows explorer. Put it where you want it to be. Close it. Reopen it. It's in a different place. That's not supposed to happen. Other people have reported on this in the feedback tool.

Drybonz, Jun 29, 2015
  12. ksdixon Win User
    I tend to work a lot using windows filling-up half of the screen. So imagine I've got Firefox on left and File Explorer on the right. I close File Explorer, and open Notepad in it's place. Later I close Notepad and re-open File Explorer. Instead of being slotted into where it was, it will open it a little to the right - leaving a bit of space in the middle of the screen, showing the desktop background inbetween the two windows, and a bit of the right side of the window outside of the laptop screen. Or it will re-open File Explorer a little to the left, the left side of it behind the FireFox window, and right side of it showing a little bit of the desktop background until the edge of the laptop screen etc.

ksdixon, Jun 29, 2015
  13. Drybonz Win User

Exactly... I do a lot of tasks that cause me to repeatedly seek something out with my mouse in explorer and the window is moving around on me constantly and slowing me down and driving me crazy. This never happened on any previous version of Windows. Looking for a fix if anyone else happens to stumble in here and know about one.

Drybonz, Jun 29, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    There's a difference between "doesn't do what *I* want" and a bug.

A bug is when the program doesn't do what it was designed to do. A program that doesn't do what YOU want it to do is just unfortunate, for you.

We don't know if Microsoft designed it to do this. We do know that previous versions did not, but that doesn't mean the current behavior isn't what is intended.

You may be right. It may be a bug. Or it might not. It's been reported for a very long time, and still hasn't been fixed.

Regardless, as I said, it appears to be doing this intentionally. Explorer *DOES* save its location. Otherwise, it wouldn't remember the last location in which to offset it from. What it's doing is loading the location it was last saving in, and then deliberately bumping it's location down and to the right of that previously saved location.

This is not something that you can just plug a registry value in. It appears to be programmed explicitly to do this.

Mystere, Jun 29, 2015
  15. Drybonz Win User
    I'm not here to argue about whether it's intended behavior. I'm looking for a fix. Thanks for the input though.

Drybonz, Jun 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Remember window position? - Similar Threads - Remember window position

2. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP doesnt remember window position: RDP app is resetting its position randomly everytime I maximize to full screen and then restore down. Even when you snap the RDP window to a position, for instance the left half of the screen, when you maximize and then restore down, the window's bottom border is off the...
  3. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP doesnt remember window position: RDP app is resetting its position randomly everytime I maximize to full screen and then restore down. Even when you snap the RDP window to a position, for instance the left half of the screen, when you maximize and then restore down, the window's bottom border is off the...
  4. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11 not Remembering Notepad Window Position

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not Remembering Notepad Window Position: Does anyone know why the system does not remember the last window position of the new 2023 Notepad? Previously, when I closed the window of the old version of Notepad, the system remembered its window position, so that the window opened at the same place where it had been...
  6. Windows 11 not Remembering Notepad Window Position

Windows 11 not Remembering Notepad Window Position: Does anyone know why the system does not remember the last window position of the new 2023 Notepad? Previously, when I closed the window of the old version of Notepad, the system remembered its window position, so that the window opened at the same place where it had been...
  7. Windows 11 not Remembering Notepad Window Position

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Windows 11 not Remembering Notepad Window Position

9. DVD not "remembering" pause position.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD not "remembering" pause position.: Hi. New to Win10, but reasonably computer-savvy.... I upgraded wife's PC from Win 7 Home to Win !0, with the promise that she would not lose any of her photos and docs, and that all would be Good. It more-or-less is so; but there is a gremlin. She likes to watch DVDs on her...
  10. ShellfolderFix not remembering windows size/position

ShellfolderFix not remembering windows size/position: Recently started having problems with the fantastic little utility written by a member of the Windows 7 forums, whom I'm hoping now frequents these forums too. For some reason, shellfolderfix 1.1.15 is no longer remembering windows sizes/positions. I've removed it, deleted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows remember window positions