Windows 10: Remerge split pst files & transfer to new email address in Outlook

Discus and support Remerge split pst files & transfer to new email address in Outlook in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; My old laptop broke down and I've replaced it with new one with Win10 and Office 2007 on it. I have a back-up (on an external drive) from my old... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Judiver, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Judiver Win User

Remerge split pst files & transfer to new email address in Outlook

My old laptop broke down and I've replaced it with new one with Win10 and Office 2007 on it.

I have a back-up (on an external drive) from my old laptop that has Outlook files on it that go way back to Office 2000 (time flies...!) and those emails are related to an email address that I do not have any longer. I haven't used Outlook for a couple of years: I lived abroad and gmail was much more practical with having all my stuff online instead of changing to local email addresses in each country. I've never bothered to reinstall those old Outlook back-up files but would like to consult some old correspondence now.

Problem: the external drive split the large pst and bak files into portions. For instance I now have 1 RAR file that contains 3 pst files (195.975KB, 8.263KB and 176KB) all bearing the same name "outlook.pst". In another RAR file I have another file called outlook.pst (71.534KB). The same thing happened for the bak files: they got split up into various RAR files and those RAR files contain files that bear the same name.

What I would like to do is to have those 4 pst files merged to have 1 outlook.pst file again but when I extract with WinRAR it looks like the 195.975KB gets overwritten with the 8.263KB which then gets overwritten with the 176KB. The same thing happens when trying to add the 4th file from the 2nd RAR file to the first RAR file. The problem is that they all have to same name. How can I get 1 outlook.pst file again?

My second question is related to Outlook itself. When I open the program it asks me to connect it to an email address. I backed out for now because I do not know what to do. I can connect it to a current email address, but if I do this will I still be able to see all the old correspondence which is related to an email address that doesn't exist any longer? I do not use Outlook for current emails but I wouldn't want to lose that old correspondence.

Thank you for your help!

Judith

How much easier my life would be if there weren't new versions for everything all the time... I would actually get some work done *Huh *Wink!

:)

Judiver, Aug 15, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Outlook PST File Problem

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Export everything to another PST file, delete the old(or rather move it out of the default folder) and replace it with the new PST file that you exported.

newtekie1, Aug 15, 2019
  3. marcbkk Win User
    Outlook PST File Problem

Thanks again everyone. I just did an export on the troubled PST file to create a new PST file from it and the file size went from 3.9GB down to 850MB. Then I installed the new PST file into Outlook that I just created and removed the old PST file from Outlook and all seems to be working fine so far. I think I am good now, but I will give it some time just to make sure there are no problems before I delete the old file. Thanks again.

marcbkk, Aug 15, 2019
  4. marcbkk Win User

Outlook PST File Problem

My Outlook PST file has now grown to nearly 4GB. I have deleted tons of stuff, emptied the deleted items mailbox, and I have done a Compact Now on the PST file a few times, but the file size never gets smaller. It just keeps growing in size instead. My guess is that it shouldn't even be 1GB at this point. Is there some easy thing I can do to rebuild the file using just the emails, contacts, and folders I want to keep so that the file runs smoothly and is optimized down to its proper size? Cheers. Marc

marcbkk, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Remerge split pst files & transfer to new email address in Outlook - Similar Threads - Remerge split pst

2. outlook pst file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    outlook pst file: hi the file working fine on my pc, and was on my tablet till few hours ago, i tried put the pst file on my usb to save space as kept getting one drive was nearly full, but outlook would not open when i try to go back keep getting this message popping up, gone as it says into...
  3. outlook pst file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    outlook pst file: hi the file working fine on my pc, and was on my tablet till few hours ago, i tried put the pst file on my usb to save space as kept getting one drive was nearly full, but outlook would not open when i try to go back keep getting this message popping up, gone as it says into...
  4. Recreating an Outlook PST file from many split-files created by Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recreating an Outlook PST file from many split-files created by Windows Backup: I want to recover my Outlook 2016 PST file from a Backup created by a previous installation of Windows 10. I lost access to my PC and had to reinstall Windows 10, losing all my user data on the C: drive in the process. All my data is backed up to OneDrive except for my...
  5. Import Outlook .pst files into O365 Outlook

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Import Outlook .pst files into O365 Outlook: Hi all, I have just updated my W8.1 to W10 and discovered that the Mail app in W10 cannot import outlook .pst files or contacts, My old version of W8.1 is gone and I no longer have access to Outlook, all i have is the backup .pst files If I go down the path of buying O365...
  6. Transferring Outlook 2013 accounts, files, .pst, etc to new computer

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Transferring Outlook 2013 accounts, files, .pst, etc to new computer: Hi, I am about to install Win 10 Pro 64-bit on a computer and then install Outlook 2013 on it -- and then I want to transfer all my Outlook 2013 email accounts from a different computer to this new one. What are the steps involved? Is it as simple as copying the .pst files...
  7. Email address's in Outlook

in Windows 10 Customization
    Email address's in Outlook: How do I edit or change address's in my phone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-addresss-in-outlook/018359b4-f68d-494d-9d85-04d37c6303f5
  8. Outlook pst files

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook pst files: This is weird I am trying to copy the pst from my main computer it is roughly 4GB in size to a USB stick to import it to my new laptop. I have 43GB of empty space on my stick yet I get the error message that the pst file is to big for my stick. Now that is weird can anyone...
  9. Outlook pst file reader?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook pst file reader?: I'm trying to access .pst files from Outlook from a previous laptop. I currently don't have Outlook on my laptop (W10). Can anyone recommend a good (and safe) pst file reader. Freeware would be great. Thanks! 44347
  10. Export Outlook 2016 Email, Contacts, and Calendar to PST file

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export Outlook 2016 Email, Contacts, and Calendar to PST file: How to: Export Outlook 2016 Email, Contacts, and Calendar to PST file How to Export Outlook 2016 Email, Contacts, and Calendar to PST file Outlook 2016 lets you focus on whats important with a clear view of email, calendars, and contacts. You can export your email,...