Windows 10: Remote desktop and VPN, only able to connect via cellphone hotspot

Discus and support Remote desktop and VPN, only able to connect via cellphone hotspot in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; To be able to work from home I use a VPN to connect to my work-PC using a remote desktop. But when I connect to my wifi and start the VPN connection,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JesseB100, Apr 19, 2021.

1. JesseB100 Win User

Remote desktop and VPN, only able to connect via cellphone hotspot

To be able to work from home I use a VPN to connect to my work-PC using a remote desktop. But when I connect to my wifi and start the VPN connection, I'm unable to connect to the remote desktop. This error shows: "The remote resource can't be reached". But when I use my phone as a hotspot the phone is connected to the same wifi, the connection can be made. So the difference is only my pc, in one situation it is connected to the wifi directly, the other via my phone, but to the same wifi. In both situations a VPN connection can be made.

So what's going on? Please ask if more information is required. I wasn't entirely sure whether this is a windows issue or the VPN.

:)

JesseB100, Apr 19, 2021

2. WM6.5 - Remote desktop over VPN

So i am trying to access a server on my network using my MW6.5 remote desktop over a VPN-connection

These are the issues i have:

• Remote desktop connects locally but not remote
    • VPN is working for Active Sync but not Remote Desktop
    • I have tried to access the remote client using only Remote desktop, and also tried to start the VPN-connection manually but there is no go
    Remote desktop works perfectly locally but as soon as i am outside the network it don't work.
    I use the same VPN-settings as for my Active Sync (pushmail from my exchange) and i am also trying to access the exchange server... that is, the same IP is used for both Active Sync and Remote Desktop.

I would guess that since Active Sync activelly start the VPN-connection when it tries to sync my email Remote Desktop would do the same when i use it - but no!

I am using a localized HTC HD Mini (swedish), we have a cisco VPN-concentrator, server is running Windows Server 2008 R2. I would like to know how to make this work.
    (if i missed some info needed i will supply what is asked for)

Robert Österlund, Apr 19, 2021
  3. Remote Desktop access to Always On VPN client

I have a number of Always On VPN clients (using system tunnels) configured at our site...and it would be helpful to be able to connect via remote desktop to the Always On VPN clients.

Is there a way to get the RDP listener to listen for connections on the Always-On VPN interface? The RDP listener is aware of the wireless, wired and VPN link from a 3rd party VPN client installed on these remote devices, but the Always On VPN interface
    is not listed as a valid interface to listen on. The Always On VPN interface does not show up in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\lanatable (adding the interface to this list would likely fix the issue).

jperkins71, Apr 19, 2021
  4. Remote desktop and VPN, only able to connect via cellphone hotspot

Remote Desktop App over VPN via an iPhone Hotspot

We've got rather an interesting situation here,

What we have is when we try to use the Microsoft Remote Desktop App to connect to our Internal servers either our 2008R2 rds farm or to administer one of the other servers we get the following error message.

Couldn't Connect.

Something went wrong when we tried to connect. If this keeps happening, ask your admin or tech support for help.

This only occurs when we are connected to the Internet via an iPhone Hotspot and then connected to our Internal Domain via a VPN.

However if we use the old Remote desktop program (MSTSC.exe) we can connect fine.

We use the Remote Desktop App because of the screen scaling ability so when my uses are using a Surface they can read what's on the screen.

If we connect to the Internet via a normal Wifi using the same VPN connection it works.

It's not a factor of speed I've connected successfully using a Wifi that has a 4 Mbps connection, and failed using the iPhone Hotspot with a 12Mbps connection.

The Surface is Windows 10 with the latest build ( September 2017) and the Remote Desktop App is version 10.1.997.0

Has anyone else come across this and have a solution to make it work.

Cheers

Keith Williams

Keith Williams_HH, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

Remote desktop and VPN, only able to connect via cellphone hotspot

1. Remote desktop and VPN, only able to connect via cellphone hotspot - Similar Threads - Remote desktop VPN

2. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  3. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  4. Mac laptop is Unable to connect to Remote Desktop with WiFi but still able to connect via...

Mac laptop is Unable to connect to Remote Desktop with WiFi but still able to connect via...: I’m not able to connect to my Remote Desktop using mac wifi it shows connected but dont show the desktop for work a pop up shows you aren’t connected. On same laptop the connection gets established using mobile data and can work. Is this issue with router or any settings...
  5. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  6. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  7. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. An internal error occurred. Remote Desktop via VPN (only).

An internal error occurred. Remote Desktop via VPN (only).: A couple of months ago, I started getting the error message "An internal error occurred" when connecting through an IPSec tunnel to all Windows 10 machines, a Windows 7 machine and a Windows 2008 R2 server machine. (every machine on the network). I can connect within the...
  9. Able to take remote desktop only with Specific WIFI connection

Able to take remote desktop only with Specific WIFI connection: Hi, I access my office computer from my personal laptop by taking remote desktop(connected through VPN). When i connect it through my Home WIFI it works fine. but when i connect it through any other WIFI connection(made through hotspot of phone network) then it doesn't work...
  10. Remote Desktop connection using VPN connection

Remote Desktop connection using VPN connection: Hello there, Can anyone help me with the below issue please, For some reason, i couldn't connect to my work remote desktop computer. However, i can connect this from my laptop. Recently got a new Desktop so, wanted to connect to my work virtual computer from my desktop....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. iphone not able to rdp over vpn