Windows 10: Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift

Discus and support Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Now that I'm often working from home, I usually use the Remote Desktop app to connect to my office pc. Often, I do not have any problems, but now and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by StijnBousard, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift

Now that I'm often working from home, I usually use the Remote Desktop app to connect to my office pc. Often, I do not have any problems, but now and then the Remote Desktop app is closed without any clear reason, often when using a key combination with Shift. When reconnecting, there is a big chance it happens again within some minutes...

A workaround is using the 'classic' Remote Desktop application mstsc.exe, but of course, the RD app shouldn't close.

The only thing I see in the Event Viewer, are Information logs so not even warnings or errors from the igfxCUIService2.0.0.0, stating the Disconnect/Reconnect events.

If I keep using the Remote Desktop app, it can happen upto 20 times a day.

Some relevant specs of the local and remote

Home PC local:

• Windows 10 20H2
    • Advanced Key Settings: in the To turn off Caps Lock section, choose the Press the SHIFT key option
    • Ms Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard
    • PowerToys with Keyboard Manager enabled I have now disabed

Office PC remote:

• Windows 10 v2004
    • Advanced Key Settings: in the To turn off Caps Lock section, choose the Press the SHIFT key option
    • Ms Natural Keyboard Pro
    • Ms IntelliType Pro 7.1 - with some reassigned keys, none of which involve Shift however
    • PowerToys - with Keyboard Manager enabled and some remapped keys none with Shift however

:)

StijnBousard, Nov 27, 2020

2. Shift, CRTL keys no working with Modern Remote Desktop

Due to the complexity of the issue regarding Shift and CTRL keys not working with modern remote desktop, we suggest that you post your concern on our

Technet Forums

Regards.

Loraine Mon, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Remote Desktop App and Shift key issue

I've installed the latest version of the Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 (build 14316.1000). It works great with one minor but annoying issue. The app doesn't appear to pickup when I press the shift key to switch to upper case or the alternate character
    selection.

My work around has been to use the Caps lock key instead which does work, but does require me to turn it back off immediately. However, this work around isn't much help when you need the alternates like the underscore character. I've had to resort to cutting
    and pasting text into the Remote Desktop app window to get around the issue in that case. Is this a known issue and is it being worked on?

Robert Singer, Nov 27, 2020
  4. MrPinson Win User

Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift

Remote Desktop App and Shift key issue

As per LANGGB's response, this is not related to keyboard functionality. This app lost ability to use modifier keys such as Shift and Alt in full
    screen view some time in early 2016. I have personally tested this across multiple machines and it occurs across all. Some users have posted this issue on the Store page but it doesn't look like there is any actual support for this app as both the support
    and website links on the app page point to generic Microsoft support pages where no relevant support can be found.

My suggestion is to simply use the old app which, while not quite as pretty looking still works as it has forever. Open it by typing 'mstsc' from the taskbar search box and select 'Remote Desktop Connection'.

MrPinson, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift

1. Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop App

2. Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift -...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift -...: Original topics...
  3. Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift -...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift -...: Original topics...
  4. Remote Desktop App closes for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop App closes for no reason: Original topics...
  5. Remote Desktop App closes for no reason

Remote Desktop App closes for no reason: Original topics...
  6. Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift -...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift -...: Original topic locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-app-closes-for-no-reason-mostly/362163de-baaa-422c-a4ec-7000bcb6632fIt's now end 2021, Corona and Covid are still here, so a lot of us are still remotely from home depending heavily on...
  7. Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift -...

Remote Desktop App closes for no reason, mostly when using a key combination with Shift -...: Original topic locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-app-closes-for-no-reason-mostly/362163de-baaa-422c-a4ec-7000bcb6632fIt's now end 2021, Corona and Covid are still here, so a lot of us are still remotely from home depending heavily on...
  8. Most key combinations with alt+shift not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Most key combinations with alt+shift not working: I have a really weird problem and now in homeoffice it's getting more annoying. I'm unable to do key combinations with alt+shift. The only thing I found for this was this...
  9. Remote Desktop closed when any key is pressed on the remote PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop closed when any key is pressed on the remote PC: We have an application running on a remote PC that requires a NFC reader. We must keep remote access to the PC by Windows Remote Desktop, but the remote session concludes when someone uses the NFC reader. The NFC reader works as a keyboard, sending characters to the remote...
  10. combination keys (Shift +f*)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    combination keys (Shift +f*): since the update after V-1709 every1 that plays a game called tibia can't use (Shift+F12)everything was always fine since win xp till win 10 1709 but after till last update till now still not working any solutions ?...