Windows 10: Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 - what gives?

Discus and support Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 - what gives? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I could have sworn I posted this question yesterday, but it's not showing up in my post history so apparently the forum "ate" it. Anyway... We... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by drfsupercenter, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 - what gives?

I could have sworn I posted this question yesterday, but it's not showing up in my post history so apparently the forum "ate" it.

Anyway...

We are running a Remote Desktop server using Server 2012 R2 (the newest version until there is a Windows 10 counterpart server OS)
    Some of our users have poor vision and need the fonts enlarged to be able to read emails and other text. Using Windows 7 or 8 as a "host" OS, the option is available when logging into the RDP server, as shown:

Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 - what gives? [​IMG]

However, when using RDP from Windows 10, the option is disabled. Even if I change the font size with a 7 or 8 host, then log back in on 10, the changes are ignored and it acts as if everything is still at 100%.

This is super frustrating, as we need a way to change the font sizes inside the remote session! I thought perhaps the reason it was automatically greyed out was because of Windows 10's new native display features. So I tried changing the text size on my local machine, but it did not affect the RDP stuff at all.

Given that it works fine on older OSes, I'm inclined this has something to do with the RDP client included in Windows 10. What's going on?

:)

drfsupercenter, Aug 13, 2015
  2. SDC-3 Win User

Remote Desktop Windows 10

Remote Desktop is not showing in System Properties for newly installed Windows 10. The Remote Assistance section is there but not the Remote Desktop isn't there. I can access the Remote Desktop Connection app but have no way to authorize access.

What is missing and how do I fix it?

SDC-3, Aug 13, 2015
  3. joerango Win User
    Remote Desktop App not working

I am using the non-metro (old-style) Remote Desktop client to remotely access a VirtualBox VM (using the remote display option). This works perfectly fine. I am not able to use the new Remote Desktop Metro app to connect to the same machine.

I am running Windows 10 home on my client machine. To summarize: The server is perfectly fine and it works well with the old remote desktop client application. My problem is with the new Remote Desktop App. It stays on 'Initiating remote connection' then
    fails with the error 'Can't connect to remote PC'. I have tried both version of the metro app, the one that came with windows 10 and the new preview version. Both don't work.

What's wrong with the new metro style RDP client?

joerango, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 - what gives?

You might try fiddling with the settings in the Experience tab of the remote desktop client. Some of those settings might be overriding what you can do on the remote.

Mystere, Aug 13, 2015
  5. I am not aware of such a tab... where is it at?

Edit: Ah, I see it. Interesting. Let me try some things...

drfsupercenter, Aug 13, 2015
  6. OK, so I tried this:

Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 - what gives? [​IMG]

Still doesn't let me change the font sizes...

Edit: it's worth noting that 8.1/2012R2 have the same Experience tab in Remote Desktop and yet those let me adjust the font sizes... huh.

drfsupercenter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 - what gives?

1. Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 - what gives? - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop app

2. Window Remote Desktop App Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window Remote Desktop App Issues: My remote desktop connection app has disappeared overnight and is not saying I need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. How has this disappeared when I was using the remote connection app 12 hours ago?...
  3. Window Remote Desktop App Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window Remote Desktop App Issues: My remote desktop connection app has disappeared overnight and is not saying I need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. How has this disappeared when I was using the remote connection app 12 hours ago?...
  4. Window Remote Desktop App Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Remote Desktop app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop app: I am trying to move away from Remote Desktop Connection Manager since it no longer receives updates or support. I downloaded the new Remote Desktop RD for Windows to give it a try. I have downloaded RD on macOS on a few machines and really like it. But, I noticed that on...
  6. Issues using Remote Desktop Connection but not Remote Desktop App?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issues using Remote Desktop Connection but not Remote Desktop App?: Hello, I have tried a couple of things to make Remote Desktop Connection work with no results. I verified my firewall and that Remote Desktop was checked, I pinged my works router while connected to the VPN and it works, I unchecked the "only allow connections from...
  7. Remote Desktop App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop App: Does Microsoft have a free remote access app? [Original Title: Apps] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-app/001b4ce3-56de-414c-849d-2268cf01dc1c
  8. Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your admin. The app helps you be productive...
  9. Remove Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10: How to: Remove Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 How to Remove a Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your...
  10. Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC: How to: Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC How to Add a Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your...