Windows 10: Remote Desktop, cannot connect from Pro to Home, but vice versa

Discus and support Remote Desktop, cannot connect from Pro to Home, but vice versa in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I currently have two PCs, one running Win10Pro the other running Win10Home. So I wanted to try and use the remote desktop but when I remote into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joshua1986_01, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Remote Desktop, cannot connect from Pro to Home, but vice versa

I currently have two PCs, one running Win10Pro the other running Win10Home. So I wanted to try and use the remote desktop but when I remote into the Home pc from the Pro pc I get a cannot connect message with the typical 3 reasons remote access to the server is not enable, computer is off, etc. The strange thing is that I can go in reverse. The Home PC lets me connect to the Pro PC with no problem using the Remote Desktop Connection. My question is this. Is the reason I can connect to the Pro PC with the Home PC is because the client I'm connecting to is Pro and support the connection, but the reason I can't connect to the Home PC is because Home only allows you to connect to a PC but not be connected to?

If it is important to note I am using my IP address to connect, while both PCs are on the same network and router.

As a disclaimer, yes, I have used the quick assist option and it works fine. The thing is that I'm turning into a Windows Hobbyist and want to make the Remote Desktop Connection work, but I think the problem is the licensing on the client PC I'm remoting into.

:)

Joshua1986_01, Jan 22, 2021
  2. Mussels Win User

Remote Desktop Connection / Win XP

to connect you'll either need to know the machines internet IP address and have ports forwarded, or use hamachi.

I find hamachi easier, as it doesnt matter if the internet IP address changes - you just use the hamachi one.

FYI, logging in via remote desktop is a "one at a time" deal. If he's logged in and you initiate a remote desktop connection, he will be logged out - so he cant see what you're doing, and vice versa.

Mussels, Jan 22, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

4. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop, cannot connect from Pro to Home, but vice versa

remote desktop connection

• What is the operating system of that remote computer? Exact version and edition please, for instance Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro.
    • Is the remote computer on the same network than the client, the computer you are connecting from? For instance, are both computers on your home network?
    • Are the incoming remote connections enabled on the remote computer?

Thema:

Remote Desktop, cannot connect from Pro to Home, but vice versa

1. Remote Desktop, cannot connect from Pro to Home, but vice versa - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop cannot

2. Convert VMware to VirtualBox and vice-versa

in Windows 10 News
    Convert VMware to VirtualBox and vice-versa: [IMG]A Virtual Machine is one of the cheapest ways to experience and use multiple operating systems on a single computer. Two of the biggest brands in the virtual machine industry are VMWare and VirtualBox. You can easily convert VMware to VirtualBox virtual machine and vice...
  3. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  4. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  5. cannot connect to remote desktop ,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot connect to remote desktop ,: I always use remote desktop, today will not work , says my windows 10 needs an upgrade to windows 10 pro ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-connect-to-remote-desktop/6fd2c790-c0c6-4e88-bd87-bc1046958b07
  6. Cannot connect with Remote Desktop

Cannot connect with Remote Desktop: After the recent update on Windows 10 pro. I am unable to connect via remote desktop. I have tried both from a PC using the internet external to my router and to the LAN side using my phone app and from another PC on the same LAN. I get the same message: Remote Desktop can't...
  7. Headphones recognized as speakers and vice versa...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones recognized as speakers and vice versa...: I've had this problem for a while now. It has corrected itself in the past but the latest update has brought this up again. What would be the most painless way of correcting this issue. Running troubleshooter does nothing. It would mean a lot to get this fixed as painlessly...
  8. Remote Desktop Connection: Win10 Home vs Win10 Pro?

Remote Desktop Connection: Win10 Home vs Win10 Pro?: I have several laptops at home, and am trying to connect to an SSH connection at work for networking. To be fair, I am an idiot and had a techie friend of mine set everything up, however: At home, on the same wireless network on the same router, I have three computers:...
  9. windows Remote desktop cannot connect to windows 10 home

windows Remote desktop cannot connect to windows 10 home: Hi guys , as the title says I am not able to connect remotely to windows 10 home edition even disabling the target pc firewall. I have no issues in connecting to other pcs.i am connecting on a local area network using windows in built remote desktop thanks 88402
  10. How to change a USB Stick from Pro to Home and vice Versa

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change a USB Stick from Pro to Home and vice Versa: Hi, there is one thing I do not unmderstand when creating a USB Stick using the Media Creation Tool: I can have both flavors, i.e. x64 and x86 on one Stick, but not Home and Pro, why? I thought this is simply a flag that can be set. My task: I have to update several PCs...