Windows 10: Remote desktop can't find the computer "name of my computer". This might mean that "name of...

Discus and support Remote desktop can't find the computer "name of my computer". This might mean that "name of... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am having this issue that is really frustrating. I keep getting the message: "Remote desktop can't find the computer "name of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by abtlive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. abtlive Win User

Remote desktop can't find the computer "name of my computer". This might mean that "name of...

Hello everyone,

I am having this issue that is really frustrating. I keep getting the message: "Remote desktop can't find the computer "name of my computer". This might mean that "name of my computer" does not belong to the specified network. Verify the computer name and domain that you are trying to connect to" whenever I try to connect my laptop to my work PC via the remote desktop connection.

I checked on the Windows Defender Firewall panel under System and Security in the Control Panel and I found that it works when I am connected to the Domain network via ethernet cable at my office. However, it doesn't work through the private or the public network when I connect through wifi at both the office and at my home. It also doesn't work when I am connected directly to the modem at home so I know it's not the ethernet connection cause it would work at home too if that was the case.

The thing is it was working just fine a month ago so this problem just started happening. If anybody knows the fix to this, please let me know!

:)

abtlive, Jan 14, 2021
  2. tdehan Win User

Unable to connect to Windows 10 computer via Remote Desktop

I have 6 Windows 10 computers. All but one can connect to each other via Remote Desktop over my home network. When I try to Remote Desktop to the 6th computer I get the following error:

Remote Desktop can't find the computer [computer name]. This might mean that [computer name] does not belong to the specific network. Verify the computer name and domain that you are trying to connect to.

All 6 computers are on the same network and workgroup. Remote Desktop services are enabled. Desktop sharing is set to allowed.

What am I missing here?

tdehan, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Rorikk Win User
    Cannot remote connect from a Domain computer into a nondomain computer

I have been trying to get a computer in a domain to connect to a computer not part of the domain. I can easily connect from the nondomain pc into the domain pc, but not the other way around. Both pc's are running Windows 10. When I try to connect form the
    Domain computer to the Non-domain computer I get the following error, "Remote Desktop can't find the computer "(Computer's name)". This might mean that "(Computer Name)" does not belong to the specified network. Verify the computer name and domain that you
    are trying to connect to."

I know how to get the computers name. The Domain computer has (Computer Name).(domain).local and I can remote into it super easy. The nondomain network is just (Computer Name) with no .(domain) as part of the full name.

How to use Remote Desktop this works just fine for getting into the domain computer but the same steps dont work when going the other way around.

Can computers in a domain remote into a non-domain computer or is there some setting that I need to change to make that work?

Rorikk, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Remote desktop can't find the computer "name of my computer". This might mean that "name of...

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer

We suggest that you disable any security program on your computer and check if it resolves the issue.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as
    soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Then follow the steps below to ensure remote desktop is enabled:

• Click Start.
    • Click on File Explorer.
    • Right-click This PC.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click Remote settings in the upper left hand corner.
    • Ensure the option Allow remote connection to this computer and
      Allow Remote Assistance connection to this computer is selected.
    • Click Apply and OK.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Remote desktop can't find the computer "name of my computer". This might mean that "name of...

1. Remote desktop can't find the computer "name of my computer". This might mean that "name of... - Similar Threads - Remote desktop can't

2. name of my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    name of my computer: How do I find the name of my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/name-of-my-computer/1af50c4f-d5c3-41aa-9901-01b95aebf546
  3. Find the Name of my Computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Find the Name of my Computer: When I try to find my computer name as instructed, I get into Control Panel, but I cannot find System and Security > System. Where did Microsoft hide my computer name, and how can I find the computer name reliably USING ONLY THE KEYBOARD - NO MOUSE? I am totally blind, and I...
  4. Find the Name of my Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find the Name of my Computer: When I try to find my computer name as instructed, I get into Control Panel, but I cannot find System and Security > System. Where did Microsoft hide my computer name, and how can I find the computer name reliably USING ONLY THE KEYBOARD - NO MOUSE? I am totally blind, and I...
  5. Find the Name of my Computer

6. changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name: I changed my computer's name. I did not change the serial number. I deleted the old name. now I want to add the new name. microsoft website keeps saying id doesn't recognize the serial number. I'ts the same serial number the comuter had with its old name. Now I have no...
  7. changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name

changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name: I changed my computer's name. I did not change the serial number. I deleted the old name. now I want to add the new name. microsoft website keeps saying id doesn't recognize the serial number. I'ts the same serial number the comuter had with its old name. Now I have no...
  8. changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Help to find remote computer User Name?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Help to find remote computer User Name?: I found that my computer was being accessed on a default account. Since I cannot find a way to log into this account nor the public one. I need to find the location of the remote computer Users Name and location....
  10. Finding computer name on previously used desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Finding computer name on previously used desktop: I have a desktop in my aunts house and I have enabled remote desktop on it. I have also signed in on it multiple times due to the fact that it is my personal workstation. I am currently trying to connect to it with my laptop which is running Windows 10 Pro, but I don't...