Windows 10: Remote Desktop Connection(mstsc) not working after updating Windows 10 on laptop

Discus and support Remote Desktop Connection(mstsc) not working after updating Windows 10 on laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Due to WFH, my job requires that I use remote desktop connection. But after every update, it stops working and it displays something like 'SSP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/arbitrageur_, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Remote Desktop Connection(mstsc) not working after updating Windows 10 on laptop

Due to WFH, my job requires that I use remote desktop connection. But after every update, it stops working and it displays something like 'SSP encryption not available'. I have to uninstall the updates and restart the computer each time and it is very cumbersome and a pain in the ass.

Is there any workaround to it? Some of my colleagues did mention that it doesn't work on Windows 10 but works perfectly on Windows 7. I have a new laptop and basically love Windows 10 so not too keen to change it.

Please help, Reddit!

submitted by /u/arbitrageur_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/arbitrageur_, Aug 8, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

Kari, Aug 8, 2020
  3. KashyapV Win User
    Unable to provide password with Remote Desktop Connection (RDP, mstsc) in Windows 10

I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10. I ususally remote login to my work using Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe). I have cisco annyconnect to secure a connection to my work. It is working fine. when I use mstsc to connect to my PC at work, immediately
    after pressing connect, it shows me windows security alert to enter my credential but there is no place to enter the password.

Remote Desktop Connection(mstsc) not working after updating Windows 10 on laptop 6b968288-17e2-4851-aee9-c09414bf0643.png

KashyapV, Aug 8, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Remote Desktop Connection(mstsc) not working after updating Windows 10 on laptop

Remote desktop connection is not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

Are the both systems (Windows 7 and Windows 10) connected to a same domain?

I suggest you to follow the method below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Disable Firewall

• Windows + R and then type firewall.cpl

• Click on Turn on or off Windows firewall.

• In private and public network settings click on Turn off windows firewall(not recommended)
    Disclaimer:Avoid using this setting unless you have another firewall running on your computer. Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from hackers and malicious
    software.Avoid using this setting unless you have another firewall running on your computer. Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from hackers and malicious software.

Method 2: For Windows 10.

• Windows + R, type mstsc and press enter.

• In remote desktop settings select advanced tab.

• Click on settings.

• Under connection settings.

• Automatically detect RD gateway server settings.

Method 3: For Windows 7.

• Windows + R, type mstsc and press enter.

• Select Remote Tab

• Selest Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop(less secure) and check if it helps.

• Click apply and then ok.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Arun B J, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

Remote Desktop Connection(mstsc) not working after updating Windows 10 on laptop

1. Remote Desktop Connection(mstsc) not working after updating Windows 10 on laptop - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop Connection

2. Remote Desktop Connection not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection not working: Hi, I just downloaded Windows 11 pro in order to access my desktop at work from home both computers have pro. I'm the only user on both. I have followed all the steps, multiple times, and it simply does not work. I'd appreciate any help to get this working as this was the...
  3. MSTSC client for Mac - no, NOT the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSTSC client for Mac - no, NOT the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" app: On Windows I've long used both Remote Desktop Connection Manager RDCMan.exe and mstsc.exe to administer servers. I've started using "Microsoft Remote Desktop" shortened to MRD hereon also, as my organisation has several Azure Virtual Desktop published resources.While MRD is...
  4. MSTSC client for Mac - no, NOT the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSTSC client for Mac - no, NOT the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" app: On Windows I've long used both Remote Desktop Connection Manager RDCMan.exe and mstsc.exe to administer servers. I've started using "Microsoft Remote Desktop" shortened to MRD hereon also, as my organisation has several Azure Virtual Desktop published resources.While MRD is...
  5. Remote desktop connection not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop connection not working: Hi I am trying to connect my home laptop to a work laptop my User account is the admin on both laptops via the Remote desktop connection. I am able to connect remotely under the same network work wifi, but still trying to find a way to connect when under different networks....
  6. Remote Desktop Connection not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Connection not working: I'm trying to connect my PC to my IOS device using remote desktop connection but I cant seem to connect, it's saying that there is already an active console connection even though there isn't. Any fix for this?...
  7. Remote desktop connection not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote desktop connection not working: Hey, I am working on my personal pc and want to connect to my company's vm byt whenever I'm entering the VM name I am encountering an error which says remote control is turned off or not available on the network....
  8. Windows 10 - Remote desktop connection is not working

Windows 10 - Remote desktop connection is not working: Windows 10 upgraded to 1903. When I access it now using Remote Desktop all I get is a black screen in the RDP windows. is there any solution to fix this issue?...
  9. Remote Desktop not working after update

Remote Desktop not working after update: Running third party RDP "RDPWrap-v1.6.2" and after updating 1809 on 12/16/2018 build 17763.194 it stopped working. Just in case you start searching: I tried the following .reg which is shown in several places on the internet, but it did not work: Windows Registry Editor...
  10. Laptop not working after remote connection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Laptop not working after remote connection: I had a verbal & visual message on my laptop saying it was infected & I must phone a number, being convinced It was from Microsoft I foolishly phoned, they said they could fix the problem & the work would be free . they also suggested I purchase a virus protection, I began to...