Windows 10: Remote Desktop Connection not allowing Port Numbers

Discus and support Remote Desktop Connection not allowing Port Numbers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi On previous versions of Windows you could put an IP address : portnumber i.e. 192.168.0.1:1234 Now in Windows 10 it says the : character is an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wozzaofrare, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Remote Desktop Connection not allowing Port Numbers

Hi

On previous versions of Windows you could put an IP address : portnumber i.e. 192.168.0.1:1234

Now in Windows 10 it says the : character is an illegal character

so how do I define the port number to connect to for a remote desktop connection??

:)

wozzaofrare, Aug 19, 2015
  2. RNielsen Win User

Need help Windows 10 VPN and Remote Desktop Connection

When your using a VPN connection to create an remote desktop connection to your work PC

The RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Server) vill assign you a uniqe port number.

That port number is between 49152 - 65535.

So in order for the remote desktop connection to work, you need to add that port range allong with port 3389, in your firewall allow list

Here is how it works, and the port numbers:

Home PC----3389---VPN ---3389---Company Router/Firewall---3389---RRAS---49152-65535---Work PC

RNielsen, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Issues with remote desktop with Hyper-V

Cannot Remote Desktop to Windows 10 Home Virtual PC.

Remote Desktop Connection not allowing Port Numbers [​IMG]

VM does not allow complete setup this entire section is missing:

Remote Desktop

Choose an option, and then specify who can connect.

0 Don't allow remote connections to this computer

0 Allow remote connection to this computer

Allow connections only from computers running Remote

Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended)

I can telnet to port 3389 without an issue, so the port is open. However since I can't set permissions the connections is refused. How can this be corrected?

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures)

JohnCosolito, Aug 19, 2015
  4. Remote Desktop Connection not allowing Port Numbers

Just an update, it would appear it's not actually the : character (as the error message states)

it's the fact that the port number is 5 digits long. It would appear that in Windows 10, it will not let you connect to anything more then a 4 digit long port number. If you have a 5 digit long port number it will spit back an error about illegal characters....

anyone have a work around?? (can't change this port to 4 digits for other reasons)

5. marv Win User
    it works fine to me when connecting to e.g. port 23389 and 43389. with win10 pro

6. the 5 digit port I'm trying starts with a 7.... someone mentioned to me there could be an issue above 6

7. marv Win User
    yeah lol, port number is 16bit, so 65535 is largest number you can use *Biggrin

marv, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Remote Desktop Connection not allowing Port Numbers

1. Remote Desktop Connection not allowing Port Numbers - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop Connection

2. Connecting to USB port remotly by Ethernet port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting to USB port remotly by Ethernet port: Hello EveryoneI connect my PC to my Raspberry Pi over Ethernet cable. And initialize my RPi as server host to share its USB ports with my PC. And initialize my PC as client host to get access to the RPi's USB ports. When connect a flash memory to my RPi, I can access it...
  3. Connecting to USB port remotly by Ethernet port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to USB port remotly by Ethernet port: Hello EveryoneI connect my PC to my Raspberry Pi over Ethernet cable. And initialize my RPi as server host to share its USB ports with my PC. And initialize my PC as client host to get access to the RPi's USB ports. When connect a flash memory to my RPi, I can access it...
  4. Connecting to USB port remotly by Ethernet port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What does it mean when netstat shows as a remote connection DESKTOP:<port number>

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does it mean when netstat shows as a remote connection DESKTOP:<port number>: I don't have remote desktop installed, yet sometimes I have interference and I sometimes when I run netstat get as a remote connection DESKTOP:<port number> - what does this mean? Is someone somehow connecting to my desktop through a remote connection or is it something else?...
  6. Remote Desktop to different port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop to different port: I have used remote desktop with a ssh tunnel to log into remote machines over the internet. This was accomplished by pointing to localhost:someport. Windows 11 RDP complains that I can't specify a port : is illegal. Is there a way around this???Thanks...
  7. Remote Desktop to different port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop to different port: I have used remote desktop with a ssh tunnel to log into remote machines over the internet. This was accomplished by pointing to localhost:someport. Windows 11 RDP complains that I can't specify a port : is illegal. Is there a way around this???Thanks...
  8. How to only allow Outbound remote desktop connection?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to only allow Outbound remote desktop connection?: Is it possible to only allow Outbound remote desktop connection on Win10 Prox64 and not allow incoming RDP connection? I could not find any Microsoft documentation on link below: Remote Desktop clients FAQ Microsoft Docs Any help would be appreciated?...
  9. Connect with Remote Desktop Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect with Remote Desktop Connection: "CredSSP encryption oracle remediation" error when you try to RDP to a Windows VM in Azure https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4295591/credssp-encryption-oracle-remediation-error-when-to-rdp-to-azure-vm An authentication error has occurred. The function requested is...
  10. How to increase the number of Remote Desktop Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to increase the number of Remote Desktop Connections in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In general, Windows 10 lets you establish only one Remote Desktop Connection on one computer. However, with a few tweaks, you can establish more than […] This article How to increase the number of Remote Desktop Connections in Windows 10 first appeared on...