Windows 10: Remote Desktop connection using PC name

Discus and support Remote Desktop connection using PC name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some reason, I cannot connect through remote desktop when using hostname. I was able to connect using IP address but our IP"s are not static. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kakoi, Jul 19, 2016.

1. kakoi Win User

Remote Desktop connection using PC name

For some reason, I cannot connect through remote desktop when using hostname. I was able to connect using IP address but our IP"s are not static. I also do not want to make it static and I was able to do it before without using IP. It just started when windows 10 UI changed that made it more distinct from windows 8 .

I used to type -PC but now it won't work and forced to use IP. I never created a homegroup nor altered anything in windows firewall but it worked before.

Remote Desktop connection using PC name [​IMG]

:)

kakoi, Jul 19, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Remote Connection

Check to see if this method works:

Set up the remote PC to allow remote connections.

On the remote PC, open Settings and select System - About. Note the PC name.

You'll need this later.

Then, under Related settings, select System info.

In the left pane of the System window, select Advanced system settings.

On the Remote tab of the System Properties dialog box, under Remote Desktop,

select Allow remote connections to this computer, and then select OK.

Next, in Settings , select System > Power & sleep and check to make sure Sleep is set to Never.

On your local Windows 10 PC: In the search box on the taskbar, type Remote Desktop Connection, and then select Remote Desktop Connection.

In Remote Desktop Connection, type the full name of the remote PC, and select Connect

DaveM121, Jul 19, 2016
  3. BR4SH Win User
    Why Can't My Android Phone Connect to My Win 10 Pro Desktop?

Using the Microsoft Remote Desktop Android app.

Installed Remote Desktop Assistant on PC.

I've made sure the PC can allow for remote desktop sessions.

Used connection info provided by Desktop Assistant for the Android app.

Try connecting on cell network: get error 0x104. Something like "can't find this pc".

Switch to local Wi-Fi network that desktop is connected to. Now it finds the machine, but it doesn't take my login info. "The user name or password did not work."

Try every combination I can think of. Email, computername\username, user name only. NOTHING WORKS.

What am I missing?

BR4SH, Jul 19, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

It has nothing to do with Home Group, nor does it have anything to do with the Network and Sharing Center. It has to do with if your device is passing through the Hostname. Are you using any Internet Security software on any of the computers? Does it show the Hostname for each one when you go to each and open a Command Window, then type in ipconfig /all

bro67, Jul 19, 2016
  5. kakoi Win User
    I tested installing an app RD Client in android and it works! But I want it to work in iOS. The iOs can connect through ip but not hostname, but after trying to use my android phone it was able to connect instantly without problems.

Btw, ty for the fast response

kakoi, Jul 19, 2016
  6. kakoi Win User
    Update, it seems to be the CAPITALIZATION of the PC name that made problems. I was able to connect after using -PC hostname rather than using -PC. though it's quite clear in my computer I used capital K.

kakoi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Remote Desktop connection using PC name - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop connection

2. Issue connecting using remote desktop: Unknown user name or bad password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue connecting using remote desktop: Unknown user name or bad password: I recently got a 3rd hp laptop since I needed more than 16GB of memory. I am trying to connect to this laptop from the other laptops but when I enter my credentials it is failing and the event viewer shows the reason to be "Unknown user name or bad password". Looking up this...
  3. Issue connecting using remote desktop: Unknown user name or bad password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue connecting using remote desktop: Unknown user name or bad password: I recently got a 3rd hp laptop since I needed more than 16GB of memory. I am trying to connect to this laptop from the other laptops but when I enter my credentials it is failing and the event viewer shows the reason to be "Unknown user name or bad password". Looking up this...
  4. Unable to connect using Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect using Remote Desktop: We have one user in the office whose computer cannot be connected to via Remote Desktop Connection. All other users' workstations can be connected to without problem. RDC worked fine for this user until about 2 weeks ago, then he simply couldn't connect. Attempts to do so...
  5. Unable to connect using Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect using Remote Desktop: We have one user in the office whose computer cannot be connected to via Remote Desktop Connection. All other users' workstations can be connected to without problem. RDC worked fine for this user until about 2 weeks ago, then he simply couldn't connect. Attempts to do so...
  6. Unable to connect using Remote Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Issues using Remote Desktop Connection but not Remote Desktop App?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issues using Remote Desktop Connection but not Remote Desktop App?: Hello, I have tried a couple of things to make Remote Desktop Connection work with no results. I verified my firewall and that Remote Desktop was checked, I pinged my works router while connected to the VPN and it works, I unchecked the "only allow connections from...
  8. Booting Remote PC using Remote Desktop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Booting Remote PC using Remote Desktop?: I have a remote PC (W10 Pro) and it is connected to my local house network by WiFi. It controls some equipment in a remote shed, and normally does not have a monitor/keyboard or mouse connected to it. I would like to switch it on in the shed (possibly using an internet mains...
  9. Remote Desktop connection using VPN connection

Remote Desktop connection using VPN connection: Hello there, Can anyone help me with the below issue please, For some reason, i couldn't connect to my work remote desktop computer. However, i can connect this from my laptop. Recently got a new Desktop so, wanted to connect to my work virtual computer from my desktop....
  10. Remote Desktop Connection Unmutes Remote PC

Remote Desktop Connection Unmutes Remote PC: I use Remote Desktop Connection via a VPN from my home laptop to my work desktop, both of which are using WIN10. Whatever the sound settings are on my desktop doesn't affect my remote session. My remote session is always unmuted and always at 100% when I start it. I can mute...