Windows 10: Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work

Discus and support Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I can successfully RDP to the target computer from any computer with in the LAN. However, I get an error message of "Your credentials did not work"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidLo6, Oct 15, 2020.

1. DavidLo6 Win User

Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work

I can successfully RDP to the target computer from any computer with in the LAN.

However, I get an error message of "Your credentials did not work" when I RDP from WAN. I know that my setup is working to the target computer but just that credentials entered is not recognised. Please help

:)

DavidLo6, Oct 15, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

3. Remote Desktop Connect: The credentials that were used to connect to IP did not work.

Hi,

I am trying to use Remote Desktop Connect of Remote Desktop App to connect remotely to another computer. I find the other computer using its IP and am prompted for my credentials. When I enter my microsoft credentials, it tells me "The credentials that were
    used to connect to <IP> did not work.".

I am sure I did not make a typo in my credentials and am sure they are correct. What could be wrong.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Hugo

HugoFrammery, Oct 15, 2020
  4. Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work

After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, Remote Desktop is not working

Hi Mayukh,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to run Built In troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Step 1: Please follow the steps below to run Built in Troubleshooter:

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search area on the taskbar.
    • Click on View all on the left panel of the Troubleshooting Windows.
    • Select Windows store Apps.
    • Follow the on screen instruction.
    Step 2: After running Troubleshooter follow the below steps.

• Type Remote Desktop in search bar.
    • Select Remote Desktop app and open it.
    • In the bottom you will see a button as Show Options.
    • Click on Show Options, you will see the options to enter your credentials.
    • Enter the credentials and click on Connect.
    • Check if it works.
    Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Oct 15, 2020
Thema:

Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work

1. Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop Connection

2. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work": I am trying to remote into a Windows 10 Pro desktop PC-A from Windows 11 Home laptop PC-B. Both of these are on the same network. PC-A has a local Admin account, PC-B has my Microsoft Account. I have enabled Remote Desktop on PC-A. I enter the name for PC-A in the name prompt...
  3. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work": I am trying to remote into a Windows 10 Pro desktop PC-A from Windows 11 Home laptop PC-B. Both of these are on the same network. PC-A has a local Admin account, PC-B has my Microsoft Account. I have enabled Remote Desktop on PC-A. I enter the name for PC-A in the name prompt...
  4. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work": So after searching I decided to post this question because all the solutions don't seem to reflect my situation.Before we start I want to preface a few things:All Microsoft Account Passwords are correct I've confirmed them by logging into to the respective MS accounts and...
  6. Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work": So after searching I decided to post this question because all the solutions don't seem to reflect my situation.Before we start I want to preface a few things:All Microsoft Account Passwords are correct I've confirmed them by logging into to the respective MS accounts and...
  7. Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work"

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  8. Remote Desktop Credentials Did Not Work

Remote Desktop Credentials Did Not Work: I am failing to get this to work. I have spent the past two hours googling solutions. I tried the ones I understood, none worked. Target PC is 192.168.0.9 Target PC microsoft account is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Target PC is win10 pro Remote PC microsoft...
  9. Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work"

Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work": I reinstalled windows on my Desktop yesterday. I previously had a handy little shortcut on my desktop to allow me to access my laptops desktop via remote desktop. Of course this shortcut has now disappeared, so I tried to set it up again. Now, when I go to connect it asks...
  10. Your credentials did not work in Remote Desktop on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Your credentials did not work in Remote Desktop on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Problems with Remote Desktop connections are common. While attempting to connect to the Remote Desktop network, many users have reported the error – Your credentials did not work, The login attempt failed. If you face this issue, obviously, the first [...]...