Windows 10: Remote desktop connections and virtual private networks

Discus and support Remote desktop connections and virtual private networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I use an RDC to connect to my work PC from home. The RDC is hosted on a VPN - that is, I am connected to my employer's network while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nick Dow, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Nick Dow Win User

Remote desktop connections and virtual private networks

Hi everyone,

I use an RDC to connect to my work PC from home. The RDC is hosted on a VPN - that is, I am connected to my employer's network while accessing my work PC from home.

When I log out of my work PC from home, the RDC window automatically closes. However, the VPN remains active. In other words, until I manually disconnect from the VPN, my personal internet browsing is being done on my employer's network.

Is there some way to automatically disconnect from the VPN when I log out of my work PC?

Many thanks,

Nick Dow

:)

Nick Dow, Apr 23, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

3. Pavan_N Win User
    VPN (Virtual Private Networking)

Hi Julio,

A virtual private network extends a private network across a public network or internet. It enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network.

Always On

Always On is a new feature in Windows 10 which enables the active VPN profile to connect automatically on the following triggers:

• User sign-on
    • Network change
    When a device has multiple profiles with Always On triggers, the user can specify the active profile in
    Settings > Network & Internet > VPN >
    VPN profile > Let apps automatically use this VPN connection.

You may also refer the link below for more information.

VPN.

For further queries I suggest you to post in
    TechNet forum.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Apr 23, 2020
  4. Remote desktop connections and virtual private networks

Remote Desktop

Okay guys need some help here before going crazy...
    I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection and see exactly what the logged on user is looking at with out going through Windows Remote Desktop.

Since its local network I don't have any password or want to setup a password.

Any suggestions are appreciated

kikicoco1334, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

Remote desktop connections and virtual private networks

1. Remote desktop connections and virtual private networks - Similar Threads - Remote desktop connections

2. Hacked desktop/ Virtual remote access to it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hacked desktop/ Virtual remote access to it: It's clear to me someone has hacked into my laptop. When I connect to the internet, they can see everything I am doing on my desktop and browsers. Ultimately, they have remote access. I have a Windows 10 Acer laptop. It's very difficult getting help with this problem.How can...
  3. Remote desktop connection drop, local network

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remote desktop connection drop, local network: System, Windows10 pro RD connection drop randomly after some minutes 15', 30' changes. I reconnect and continue. Perhaps, it's related about connection speed. If I use internet, drop probability increase. If driver problem, which driver? thank you, Günlük Adı: System...
  4. Microsoft Remote Desktop as Virtual Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Remote Desktop as Virtual Desktop: Is there way I can set up my Remote Desktop connection as anotherVirtual Desktop in host computer so I can easily navigate through my host andRemote Desktops with Task View?...
  5. Remote Desktop connects to a remote machine on one network but not others.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote Desktop connects to a remote machine on one network but not others.: Hello, I am using mobile network hotspot to connect from my HomePC to a remote machine through VPN. I do not face any issues when I try to connect through Vodafone network where the speed is around just 8-9 Mbps but I could not connect through other networks like Three/EE...
  6. Network issue in Remote desktop Connection

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Network issue in Remote desktop Connection: Hello guys, I have a problem with RD. When i am connected from my home pc(windows 10,1903) to my work pc(windows 10 1903) i am working fine but 3-4 times per day my connection drops and when i try to reconnect to my machine, it logged me off and i am losing all the unsaved...
  7. Private and Public Network Connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  8. connecting laptop and desktop private network

connecting laptop and desktop private network: Have an old win 7 laptop and a new win 10 desktop and laptop. The new desktop can see all. The new laptop cannot see the desktop but can see the win 7 laptop. Tried all the normal settings, private network, discover, adapter, manage network, trouble shooter, and firewall...
  9. Private Network Connection

Private Network Connection: Why does my personal HP Windows 10 laptop show in Windows Defender Firewall that I am "Connected" to "Guest or public networks" even when I disconnect from my xfinity modem and "forget" my "known network" credentials? I can't figure out what I am "connected" to? [ATTACH]...
  10. Virtual Private Network

Virtual Private Network: Hi, Is there a way to determine if I have a VPN installed. I did not install one. Yet, I see these switches on: Settings > Network and internet > VPN Allow VPN connections over metered networks - on Allow VPN to connect while Roaming. - on I don't see any VPN...