Windows 10: Remote Desktop Freezes Running Remote Desktop

Discus and support Remote Desktop Freezes Running Remote Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 10 with a 4K UHD display. I frequently use remote desktop with my laptop to connect to a Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by chuckcobb3, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Remote Desktop Freezes Running Remote Desktop

I recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 10 with a 4K UHD display. I frequently use remote desktop with my laptop to connect to a Windows 10 desktop system in my home. I've been doing this for years without a problem until I upgraded my laptop to a 4K UHD display. Since I started using the new laptop with the 4K UHD display, remote desktop has become almost unusable. It frequently freezes when I connect to the remote system and I have to disconnect and reconnect to force it to refresh the display.

I'm sure it has something to do with the display resolution and I've tried various display resolution settings in Remote Desktop to get it to work and nothing I've tried seems to work. Has anyone experienced this problem?

:)

chuckcobb3, Nov 19, 2017

2. RDP freezes remote

Win 10 laptop rdp freezes the remote desktop immediately upon connecting. Remote is running Windows 10 Pro. The desktop remains frozen until powered off and on. I believe no settings have been changed since it used to work properly. A different laptop
    is able to rdp successfully into that desktop. Strangely, the laptop that is able to successfully rdp cannot see files on the remote when the homegroup icon is clicked--says the remote is currently unavailable, but the laptop that freezes the remote can see
    and open files when the homegroup icon is clicked. When I google remote freezes I get info about Windows 7, and the "Virtual Agent" doesn't understand my question. Thanks for any help

EllenReddick, Nov 19, 2017
  3. osx remote desktop, Nov 19, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Remote Desktop Freezes Running Remote Desktop

Your question has zero to do with RDP. I would suggest making sure that the native resolution for that video is set properly. It does help if you state the model and mfg of the new laptop, along with if the video utility for the chipset, allows you to set it for the resolution that you want, which needs to be done through HDMI.

bro67, Nov 21, 2017
  5. I've made some progress on this. I've tried two other remote desktop applications:
    - TeamViewer
    - Remote Desktop Connection Manager

Both of those work perfectly while the Windows 10 Remote Desktop app stalls and freezes in the exact same configuration. I have tried many different display settings for Windows 10 Remote Desktop remote display; and, although the problem improves at lower resolutions, the performance is still terrible. I have also set my laptop to run in 1920X1080 display mode rather than the full 3840X2160 4K UHD display mode. (I have a new HP Spectre x360 laptop with 16GB of memory, 512GB SSD, and an Intel Graphics card).

It seems to me that this is a problem with Windows 10 Remote Desktop since other remote desktop apps work fine in the same configuration. The problem seems to be that Windows 10 Remote Desktop is not well-designed for large display sizes and chokes on transferring video data for large display sizes.

chuckcobb3, Nov 21, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Yes it is a problem with RDP, because it like all other remote access programs cannot use a resolution higher than what is best for use across a remote detection. The most that RDP/VNC/Team Viewer will do, is what will not cause the machine to be slower than molasses, which also your upload speed from the computer you are remoting in, only has so much bandwidth available. In that last bit, again you will have to set for no background, no fancy animation, nothing that will cause the systems to lock up.

bro67, Nov 22, 2017
  7. Yes, it is asking a lot for any remote desktop app to process a lot of bandwidth but some apps handle that better than others. The Windows 10 Remote Desktop app seems to be the worst of all the apps I have tried. RDP chokes where other remote desktop apps like Remote Desktop Connection Manager or TeamViewer handle the same bandwidth with ease.

chuckcobb3, Nov 22, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Again and I am only going to repeat this once. The failure of remote connections is going to be the upload speed. There is zero that you can do about that and regardless of the Native resolution that the device in itself is capable, it is never going to happen across the Internet.

bro67, Nov 22, 2017
  9. I use remote access almost every single day over the internet with either Remote Desktop Connection Manager or TeamViewer and both handle the bandwidth just fine.

chuckcobb3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Remote Desktop Freezes Running Remote Desktop - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop Freezes

2. remote desktop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    remote desktop: Hello --- I am trying to login to my win 10 / pro computer using remote desktop --- I have remote access turn on, but when I try to connect the connection ends with an error --- is there a way to debug this to find out the issue? Thanks...
  3. Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on both computers but when I try to connect using Remote Desktop it tells me 'The remote computer is not available on the network' How do I resolve?...
  4. Remote desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote desktop: My PC freezes when I am trying to copy and paste on the remote desktop using VPM. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop/9ad87e89-f004-4c05-9a9b-c7a9d94cf54b
  5. Remote desktop freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote desktop freezing: Hi, I have two up to date Windows 10 computers without any exotic hardware. They are on the same network but a remote desktop session between the two keeps freezing. Closing and restarting the session fixes the freeze. Using the Remote Desktop App helps reduce the frequency...
  6. Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop: Hello, I have problems to connect to a university PC using Remote Desktop. While turning it on, it askes me to sign in using my Microsoft account. So I sign in but then it tells me these data are not correct - I know they are because I have no problem with signing to...
  7. remote desktop

remote desktop: Cannot connect to remote desktop pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop/63931850-567c-4fe0-a50e-206f9c9ec231
  8. Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Remote Desktop: What version of Windows 10 do I need to get a license for to be able to connect to work remotely? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop/34cd5035-ac89-414f-ac58-2b14550cb7ed"
  9. remote desktop

remote desktop: windows 10 no longer connects to remote xp computer on same network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop/f46d2e85-7938-4abc-a751-04b842c31159
  10. Remote Desktop Video Freezing

Remote Desktop Video Freezing: When accessing my home media server PC, a couple of my computers are failing to get a consistent video feed from the server. They're still connected, and the mouse and keyboard are still sending input, but the picture will just freeze at random times. I have to disconnect and...