Windows 10: Remote Desktop Host Sleeps After Only Five Minutes

Discus and support Remote Desktop Host Sleeps After Only Five Minutes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I host a computer that is used by a few people in a small organization. We use Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) to access the computer - even me and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Omero, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Omero Win User

Remote Desktop Host Sleeps After Only Five Minutes

I host a computer that is used by a few people in a small organization. We use Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) to access the computer - even me and the computer is in my basement. RDP works fine and everyone is able to get access to the computer and do their work.

Last fall I figured out how to use network enabled Wake on Lan to remotely wake up a sleeping computer. Once I had educated my users on how to use Wake on Lan, I enabled sleep mode on the computer and set it for 30 minutes. Keeping the computer sleeping when not in use has several advantages and I intend to continue to keep it set up this way.

There is a problem, however. Despite the computer's sleep setting being set to 30 minutes, when there is a remote desktop connection, the computer goes to sleep after only 5 minutes of idle time. This is distacting as you can't leave your remote work for more than a moment or sleep knocks your connection down and you have to log back into the remote connection. I know that it is sleep that is knocking down the connection because when you try to log in again, you cannot do so until you run the Wake on Lan application to wake the computer back up. Then it lets you sign right in again. (I've also just gone into the basement and looked at the thing - it's asleep!)

I've tried extending the sleep time and set the display timer to never. This does not change things. When using RDP, the computer sleeps after 5 minutes of idle time. If you work locally, sleep is normal and the machine sleeps after 30 minutes.

I cannot find any settings in Windows that would allow me set timers differently than from the standard power settings. Why is this happening?

- - - Updated - - -

I just found this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-fbbc4e6a2ae9 and gave it a shot. It seems to be working.

:)

Omero, Jan 13, 2021
  2. Omero Win User

I host a computer that is used by a few people in a small organization. We use Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) to access the computer - even me and the computer is in my basement. RDP works fine and everyone is able to get access to the computer and do their work.

Last fall I figured out how to use network enabled Wake on Lan to remotely wake up a sleeping computer. Once I had educated my users on how to use Wake on Lan, I enabled sleep mode on the computer and set it for 30 minutes. Keeping the computer sleeping when not in use has several advantages and I intend to continue to keep it set up this way.

There is a problem, however. Despite the computer's sleep setting being set to 30 minutes, when there is a remote desktop connection, the computer goes to sleep after only 5 minutes of idle time. This is distacting as you can't leave your remote work for more than a moment or sleep knocks your connection down and you have to log back into the remote connection. I know that it is sleep that is knocking down the connection because when you try to log in again, you cannot do so until you run the Wake on Lan application to wake the computer back up. Then it lets you sign right in again. (I've also just gone into the basement and looked at the thing - it's asleep!)

I've tried extending the sleep time and set the display timer to never. This does not change things. When using RDP, the computer sleeps after 5 minutes of idle time. If you work locally, sleep is normal and the machine sleeps after 30 minutes.

I cannot find any settings in Windows that would allow me set timers differently than from the standard power settings. Why is this happening?

- - - Updated - - -

I just found this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-fbbc4e6a2ae9 and gave it a shot. Initially it seemed to work and I stayed connected over ten minutes. Subsequently, I was logged in and while doing other work twice timed out at five minutes. So, this fix, at least with just the change I made, is not a solution.

Omero, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Remote Desktop - Remote Computer is Sleeping

Got a question that I could answer if I was at the office to try it... Trying to connect remotely to an HP desktop at work.

If the HP is in sleep mode, I can't remote into it. Here's the scenario: Couldn't remote into the HP... Called a co-worker he noticed is was in power saving mode & moved the mouse, it woke up. Then I was able to remote in.

Would "Wake on Lan" in BIOS allow me to wake up the computer through a remote desktop login request? Are there other settings?

EDIT: Both PC's on XP Pro 32

Sasqui, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Remote Desktop Host Sleeps After Only Five Minutes

Keep Remote Desktop going if Host falls asleep

Hi,

I am using my home PC (Win 10) to connect to my headless Server (Win 2016) via Remote Desktop.

If my home PC goes to sleep then my Remote Desktop session pauses and then resumes once my home PC wakes up.
    This is quite annoying especially if something is running on the server and then my home PC goes to sleep. I don't want to keep my home PC on all the time just to keep the remote desktop session alive. Is there a way to keep the remote desktop session alive whilst my home PC sleeps.

The only solution to come to mind is to run TightVNC instead. Any other suggestions?

snifftheglove, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Remote Desktop Host Sleeps After Only Five Minutes - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop Host

2. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.” However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't go to sleep for hours. I ran the power...
  3. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.” However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't go to sleep for hours. I ran the power...
  4. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Remote Desktop Host Sleeps After Only Five Minutes

in Windows 10 Support
    Remote Desktop Host Sleeps After Only Five Minutes: I host a computer that is used by a few people in a small organization. We use Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) to access the computer - even me and the computer is in my basement. RDP works fine and everyone is able to get access to the computer and do their work. Last fall I...
  6. Remote Desktop Host Sleeps After Only Five Minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Remote Desktop Host Sleeps After Only Five Minutes: I host a computer that is used by a few people in a small organization. We use Windows Remote Desktop RDP to access the computer - even me and the computer is in my basement. RDP works fine and everyone is able to get access to the computer and do their work. Last fall I...
  7. Wifi speed slows down after five minutes of sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi speed slows down after five minutes of sleep: I am using window 10 64 bit build, Hp specter x 360. My wifi speed is usually 50 Mbps before sleep. After 5-10 minutes of sleep, my laptop wifi speed slows down to 2 Mbps. I don't know what is happening. I reset my laptop and the problem still persists. I don't know what to...
  8. Remote desktop and sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remote desktop and sleep.: Finally, after an upgrade to 1903, my laptop knows how to go to sleep on its own! The effect this could have on worldwide carbon emissions could be phenomenal given the number of Windows machines in the world. However, at work, I use my laptop from my desktop via Remote...
  9. scammer had remote access to pc for five minutes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    scammer had remote access to pc for five minutes: hi I restored pc to factory settings with every thing removed and the pc runs well and I have added malewarebytes pro which scans daily and has found nothing . could a rootkit placed remotely by the scammer survive and run undetected thanks peter...
  10. Remote desktop disconnects after few minutes & will not reconnect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote desktop disconnects after few minutes & will not reconnect: I have been using remote desktop for years without any issues. Several weeks ago after a windows update I cannot use my remote desktop outside my internal network. It works fine in the home & I connect with my ipad using mobile remote desktop. but when Im at work I can...