Windows 10: Remote Desktop not working - Not listening to port 3389

Discus and support Remote Desktop not working - Not listening to port 3389 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a PC that is a host to our database. It has Windows 10 Pro on it. I am attempting to use Remote Desktop RD. I have disabled firewall and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Corey Olmsted, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Remote Desktop not working - Not listening to port 3389

I have a PC that is a host to our database. It has Windows 10 Pro on it. I am attempting to use Remote Desktop RD. I have disabled firewall and configured router for port 3389. When I use a port checker, it times out. Appears that the PC is not listening to the port. I have verified the Remote Desktop is port 3389. If I do all the same steps on another PC workstation, I can remote in and port checker sees open 3389 port.

After comparing the problem PC to working ones, I do not see Remote Desktop Camera Bus, RD Device Redirector Bus, or RD USB Hub under Device Manager. Also in Services, Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector will not start, or at least stay started. There is an immediate message that says it started then stopped due to not being used.

The registry items appear to be ok. I have even tried to import RDP-Tcp from a working PC and no change.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix or what else to check? Any help is much appreciated.

:)

Corey Olmsted, Feb 10, 2020

2. RDP port 3389 stopped listening.

RDP port 3389 just stopped listening after some of the updates, netstat -an command doesn't list it.
    Remote Desktop Service is displayed as Running, but Event Viewer has following error:

Remote Desktop Service start failed. The relevant status code was 0x80070721.

Gwynbleidd, Feb 10, 2020
  3. Changing Microsoft Remote Desktop Port from Default TCP 3389 to TCP 110.

Hello, I have a Windows 10 PC I am connecting to on my Macbook using the Microsoft Remote Desktop app.

It works fine on port 3389 with the port open on my PC and Router and my Mac configured to connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3389. But the second I change to port 110 on both my PC and router and tell my Mac to connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:110, Microsoft Remote
    Desktop just gets stuck on "Configuring Remote Connection"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

CookieCoder, Feb 10, 2020
  4. DougWebb1 Win User

Remote Desktop not working - Not listening to port 3389

Cannot open Port 3389 RDP

I have a new Win10 Home edition, McAfee LiveSafe V16.

I have opened Port 3389 within McAfee, added check to Port 3389 and Port 135 as well as added add'l Port 3390 and 3389 to it.

When I use netstat -an. I do NOT see Port 3389 listed.

I have added to Control Panel, Advanced Settings, Inbound Rules a Port 3389, Domain, Private, Public are checked.

But 3389 is NOT visible at CMD prompt.

What next?

Need it as this will be a Remote computer, I hope.

Thanks in advance.

DougWebb1, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

Remote Desktop not working - Not listening to port 3389

1. Remote Desktop not working - Not listening to port 3389 - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop working

2. Remote Desktop to different port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop to different port: I have used remote desktop with a ssh tunnel to log into remote machines over the internet. This was accomplished by pointing to localhost:someport. Windows 11 RDP complains that I can't specify a port : is illegal. Is there a way around this???Thanks...
  3. Remote Desktop to different port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop to different port: I have used remote desktop with a ssh tunnel to log into remote machines over the internet. This was accomplished by pointing to localhost:someport. Windows 11 RDP complains that I can't specify a port : is illegal. Is there a way around this???Thanks...
  4. Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.: I can get another service like VNC to listen on port 3389, and I can test connectivity to that port to verify it is not network/firewall related. RDP doesn't generate any errors. The service starts like normal, and if I restart it, it restarts like normal. I have enabled NLA,...
  5. Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.: I can get another service like VNC to listen on port 3389, and I can test connectivity to that port to verify it is not network/firewall related. RDP doesn't generate any errors. The service starts like normal, and if I restart it, it restarts like normal. I have enabled NLA,...
  6. Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Block TCP Port 3389

Block TCP Port 3389: How Block Port 3389 ? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/block-tcp-port-3389/de6fb848-5a1b-4c07-bc59-28f1ddb2341b
  8. Cannot open Port 3389 RDP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot open Port 3389 RDP: I have a new Win10 Home edition, McAfee LiveSafe V16. I have opened Port 3389 within McAfee, added check to Port 3389 and Port 135 as well as added add'l Port 3390 and 3389 to it. When I use netstat -an. I do NOT see Port 3389 listed. I have added to Control Panel,...
  9. Changing Microsoft Remote Desktop Port from Default TCP 3389 to TCP 110.

Changing Microsoft Remote Desktop Port from Default TCP 3389 to TCP 110.: Hello, I have a Windows 10 PC I am connecting to on my Macbook using the Microsoft Remote Desktop app. It works fine on port 3389 with the port open on my PC and Router and my Mac configured to connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3389. But the second I open the port 110 on my PC and...
  10. RDP port 3389 stopped listening.

RDP port 3389 stopped listening.: RDP port 3389 just stopped listening after some of the updates, netstat -an command doesn't list it. Remote Desktop Service is displayed as Running, but Event Viewer has following error: Remote Desktop Service start failed. The relevant status code was 0x80070721. 43603

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remote desktop enabled but not listening on port 3389

2. port 3389 not listening