Windows 10: Remote Desktop over Satellite Link with Shadow Feature

Discus and support Remote Desktop over Satellite Link with Shadow Feature in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to connect to windows 10 pro laptop using remote desktop from a windows 10 pro PC. The connection is over a satellite link operating up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by M_Milne, Oct 4, 2019.

1. M_Milne Win User

Remote Desktop over Satellite Link with Shadow Feature

I am trying to connect to windows 10 pro laptop using remote desktop from a windows 10 pro PC. The connection is over a satellite link operating up to 400kbps. When the connection tries to establish, the desktop PC receives the laptops credentials but then fails to connect and continues to retry. I believe RDP can operate at much lower connection speeds than this so do not understand why the connection fails. The laptop and desktop PC are running on windows 10 pro, but if I swap out the laptop for one on windows 7 then the connection is made without issue and operates normally. Is there any reason why the low connection speed could affect the windows 10 pro to another windows 10 pro connection?

Furthermore, I want to use the Shadow feature on RDP to maintain the ability to view the laptop screen whilst the RDP connection is live but a number of error messages keep appearing, such as: "A security package specific error occurred" and "the computer name is invalid" even though I am specifying an IP address. As mentioned above, the connection is over satellite link but these error messages occur even when I try to connect with a LAN connection between the systems. I have a secure site to site VPN established between the systems using separate hardware firewalls.

Thanks,

Matthew

:)

M_Milne, Oct 4, 2019
  2. Roan T Win User

Remote Desktop Shadow not working in Creators Update

Hi,

To refer you to the correct TechNet forum, would
    you mind providing more information by answering the same questions:

• Are your computers on a domain?
    • Are you using any Windows servers?
    • Are you trying to develop a program using remote desktop shadow on Creators build?

Thanks.

Roan T, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Scaled Remote desktop shadow connection is unusable

Hi Kermit!

Thank you for your interest!

This is a regression that should be addressed by Microsoft. In older version of Remote Desktop client, there were scrollbars and the screen was never resized. When using remote desktop without shadow there is an option on the context menu called smart resizing.
    Enabling it causes the same effect. Unfortunately this option and the zoom is missing when shadowing a remote session.

1. The reason I want to use shadow instead of connecting to the console is to avoid resolution and screen changes that will reorganise all windows.

2. Remote desktop sessions have nothing to do with the display driver.

the_boss_gfc, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Remote Desktop over Satellite Link with Shadow Feature

remote desktop

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the below details to understand your issue in a better way:

1. Are you using the Microsoft remote desktop app?

If you are using the Microsoft remote desktop app downloaded from
    Microsoft store then, I suggest you to follow the steps to
    fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

If the issue still persists with the Microsoft remote desktop app, then you can contact the support team by going to the

link
    and scrolling down to the bottom and clicking on
    Microsoft remote desktop support under the Publisher info.

However, if you are using the Remote desktop connection, which comes pre-installed with Windows 10, then I suggest you to please post your question in the
    TechNet forum.

Hope it helps.

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Remote Desktop over Satellite Link with Shadow Feature

1. Remote Desktop over Satellite Link with Shadow Feature - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop Satellite

2. use HID devices over remote desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    use HID devices over remote desktop: I want to use a secondary PC to handle USB devices especialy HID so my main PC doesn`t have to.I use the second PC via remote desktop but when i do, the devices disconnect.I found this threat with a similar topic but this will only fix the Problem for storage...
  3. use HID devices over remote desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    use HID devices over remote desktop: I want to use a secondary PC to handle USB devices especialy HID so my main PC doesn`t have to.I use the second PC via remote desktop but when i do, the devices disconnect.I found this threat with a similar topic but this will only fix the Problem for storage...
  4. use HID devices over remote desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Remote Desktop very slow over LAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop very slow over LAN: Ever since upgrading to Windows 10 many years back, I started noticing that RDP performance was worse than in Windows 7 and 8.1. Currently -- after upgrading to Windows 11 -- RDP sessions created over a 1 Gbps wired LAN are even slower to the point that I often see image...
  6. Remote Desktop very slow over LAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop very slow over LAN: Ever since upgrading to Windows 10 many years back, I started noticing that RDP performance was worse than in Windows 7 and 8.1. Currently -- after upgrading to Windows 11 -- RDP sessions created over a 1 Gbps wired LAN are even slower to the point that I often see image...
  7. Slow performance except over Remote Desktop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow performance except over Remote Desktop.: I switched to W10 about a year ago and upgraded my systems to SSDs. When I run an app, Solidworks for example, and right click on a feature to bring up a dialog it takes several seconds for the dialog to pop up. This should be virtually instantaneous and was OK under W7....
  8. libusb-win32 devices over Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    libusb-win32 devices over Remote Desktop: What I'm trying to do is use Windows Remote Desktop to connect my laptop to my desktop. I've been successful in making this connection and getting devices like USB flash drives to connect between the two using RemoteFX passthrough, but for some reason, this isn't working with...
  9. Feature Update 2004 - Broke Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Feature Update 2004 - Broke Remote Desktop: Hello all, I just wanted to mention this in case anyone else had troubles... I had a user update to Feature Update 2004 last week on Friday, and RDP broke completely. We'd attempt to connect, and the connection would spin and spin. Tried reboots, speed tests on their home...
  10. Hardware Acceleration Over Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hardware Acceleration Over Remote Desktop: I'm trying to connect to a computer that has an NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 3D graphics card over Microsoft Remote Desktop. When I do, the graphics card on the remote computer does not get activated. Any idea on how to solve this issue?...