Windows 10: Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade

Discus and support Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I recently upgraded a Lenovo P53 running Win10 1809 to Win10 1909. The Lenovo P53 is typically accessed via Remote Desktop RDP from an HP Probook... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TSalamon, Feb 15, 2021.

1. TSalamon Win User

Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded a Lenovo P53 running Win10 1809 to Win10 1909. The Lenovo P53 is typically accessed via Remote Desktop RDP from an HP Probook 640 G1 running Win10 1809 and located at home. The HP accesses the Lenovo P53 over our company's VPN.

The Lenovo P53 hosts a FlexLM license manager and needs to be available 24/7 within the corporate network, so there isn't an option to take this machine home.

Prior to upgrading the Lenovo P53 to Win10 1909 there were no issues with running Remote Desktop using the VPN. However, after the upgrade to Win10 1909, I would receive the following error when trying to log onto the Lenovo P53 if the machine was restarted.

Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade 290ffd58-c5a1-43ed-8f90-d2bd62511fc1?upload=true.png

The workaround for this was to physically go into work and log directly onto the Lenovo P53. Once this was done the RDP session would typically work fine.

In an effort to resolve the issue, my IT department recommended upgrading the drivers and firmware on the Lenovo P53 and setting a registry timeout value to a longer time 30000 milliseconds per the following Microsoft article

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/system-management-components/service-not-start-events-7000-7011-time-out-error

I went ahead and completed the driver/firmware update and registry modification, but it seems to have made the problem worse, as, in addition to not being able to log on after a restart, there are times when I get logged out of the RDP session and am unable to reconnect, observing the same error in the image above.

I've looked at the event viewer logs, and the one common element is that I receive Critical Event IDs 10110 and 10111 see images below whenever the RDP connection doesn't work, with Event ID 10111 referencing a Microsoft Remote Display Adapter being offline due to a crash.

Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade cfea6d40-b473-4221-8c0d-1b3271d2842f?upload=true.png

Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade d8b4c43f-f9c2-4500-a02d-a9573f4242a5?upload=true.png

The machine also has the following Display Adapters

Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade 1035f9c5-7323-425f-89a4-d054ac48c74c?upload=true.png

Would anyone have any idea as to why these errors are now occurring after the Win10 1909 upgrade on the Lenovo P53?

And what might be potential fixes to allow RDP to work without these errors, both on logon after restart as well as on reconnection?

I would appreciate anyone's help on this, as it is becoming extremely difficult to work due to the unpredictability of RDP.

Thanks.

Todd

:)

TSalamon, Feb 15, 2021

2. RDP not allowing remote connection

I had it working perfectly fine the other day but I logged into my server, removed a open port and both computer quit.

I run the computers with the firewall off, I see no point in them being on, it's a windows firewall a hacker will know how to get around so fire wall is OFF.

Ports are 9000 for server and 3390 for htpc

ip:9000
    ip:3390

This does not work from a linux workstation using 'Remote Desktop Client'

It does not work from mac RDP
    It does not work from windows RDP
    And it does not work from my iphone.

I know it's enabled as I can RDP into the computers at my home (except htpc at the moment, I think that one needs restarted)

Ports are open, both tcp / udp ports are open using the internal server IP wich is MAC assigned by the router. Server - 10.0.1.2 - 9000
    And same thing for the htpc - 10.0.1.8 - 3390

Besides the obvious of firewall, ports, and 'remote connection enabled' any ideas?

freaksavior, Feb 15, 2021
  3. David Haz Win User
    Remote Desktop - Save connections

Hi Adrian,

Through Remote Desktop Protocol in Windows, you are provided with a graphical interface where you can save the current connection settings to an RDP file or open a saved connection. You may get to this interface by following the steps below:

• Type remote desktop in the Windows 10 taskbar search, and selecting
      Remote Desktop Connection. Make sure that the Computer,
      User name, etc. fields are filled in correctly under the
      General tab.
    • Click the Show options button.
    • From there, you can save the current connection settings to an RDP
      file or open a saved connection.
    • If you are to save a connection, click Save As, and choose the location from where you want to save the shortcut, and click on
      Save.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask us.

David Haz, Feb 15, 2021
  4. Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade

RDP file not launching Remote Desktop

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• When you say that ".rdp files will not launch Remote Desktop", what exactly are you referring to? Are you facing issues while launching .rdp files in remote desktop mode?

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 15, 2021
Thema:

Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade

1. Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop RDP

2. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing: Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing, it just goes to a full black screen and then I have to use Task Manager to 'End Task' to get to close out....
  3. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing: Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing, it just goes to a full black screen and then I have to use Task Manager to 'End Task' to get to close out....
  4. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. RDP Remote Desktop cannot connect on Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP Remote Desktop cannot connect on Win10: I'm a computer programmer and I can't debug this stupid thing! Both my Win10 and Win7 local PCs can ping and see each other network drives. But none can RDP to another! Giving the notorious '3 dumb reasons' excuse none of which applies, of course. Now, I don't want 'try...
  6. RDP: Remote Connection Protical

RDP: Remote Connection Protical: I went and opend up Microsoft Edge to enter my IP address in the box that I type a URL in and the I hited enter and this what the page said: Hmmm… can't reach this page 192.168.1.123 refused to connect. Search the web for 192 168 1 123 ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Why? Did I...
  7. Remote Desktop Connections error after update to Win10 2004

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop Connections error after update to Win10 2004: after updating Windows 10 to version 2004 i am no longer able to establish a Remote Desktop Connection. actually i am able to establish a Remote Connection exactly once. But after ending the first remote session every following attempt to do the same gives me the following...
  8. RDP Remote Desktop not retaining window positions after upgrading to Windows 1903 and 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RDP Remote Desktop not retaining window positions after upgrading to Windows 1903 and 1909: After upgrading our workstations to Windows 10 1903 and 1909, we noticed that every time we re-established a remote session most of the open windows would shift or collapse to just one monitor - all the windows position has been lost. This started happening after...
  9. RDP connection fails: Remote Desktop can't find computer errors.

RDP connection fails: Remote Desktop can't find computer errors.: I have VM running windows 10 pro (other VMs using same config work fine). Every time when I try to connect via RDP it throws: "Remote Desktop can't find the computer [hostname]. This might mean that [hostname] does not belong to specified network. Verify the computer name and...
  10. .RDP files won't open (remote desktop) after Win10 Anniversary Update

.RDP files won't open (remote desktop) after Win10 Anniversary Update: After the Windows 10 Anniversary Update was installed on my Windows 10 Pro, .RDP files won't open. Remote Desktop still works if you open it manually and enter in the server info. But my saved .RDP files won't open. Also, right clicking on them and selecting edit also does...