Windows 10: Remote Desktop says I have Windows 10 Home when I've upgraded to Pro.

Discus and support Remote Desktop says I have Windows 10 Home when I've upgraded to Pro. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The two main reasons I upgraded from the Retail Home version to the Pro version is because I have dual Xeon processors MacPro5,1 running BootCamp and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by S1gg13, Jan 3, 2021.

1. S1gg13 Win User

Remote Desktop says I have Windows 10 Home when I've upgraded to Pro.

The two main reasons I upgraded from the Retail Home version to the Pro version is because I have dual Xeon processors MacPro5,1 running BootCamp and I want to use Remote Desktop. I tried to get help through chat support and it just keeps dropping me.

Why is the Start > Settings > System > Remote Desktop info showing the wrong version of Windows? It won't let me turn on the built in Remote Desktop. The Start > System > About shows Windows 10 Pro as the version. I've applied all updates.

It says, "Your Home edition of Windows 10 doesn't support Remote Desktop."

Thanks

:)

S1gg13, Jan 3, 2021
  2. saadq12 Win User

Can't Remote Desktop Into PC even after PRO Upgrade

Hi all, I am wondering if someone can help me get Remote Desktop working. Here is the problem:
    I have a brand new Acer Desktop PC that came with Windows 10 Home, after unsuccessfully trying to get remote desktop working on Home I eventually bought the upgrade to Pro.
    The PC upgraded to Pro but I am still unable to connect to the PC via Remote Desktop Connection.
    I am sure the IP is correct is because I can ping the PC from another PC on the same network and I get a reply back successfully.
    I have tried several steps and procedures found via google(changing services properties, disabling firewall, allowing RDP etc...) but nothing is working.
    Currently I am resetting the computer back to default in hopes this fixes any issues I may have caused during my troubleshooting
    Any ideas/suggestions that you guys have that got Remote Desktop Connection working would be great, thanks in advance!

saadq12, Jan 3, 2021
  3. Windows 10 - Remote Desktop

Hi,

We will surely assist you with the issue you are facing with Windows 10.
    - Which version of Windows 10 Operating System are you using?

- Were you able to upgrade to Windows 10 successfully?

I suggest you to refer the below steps and see if this helps.

• Enable remote desktop in settings
      • Control Panel\System and Security\System, Click "Remote Settings" on the left side

• Verify my port forwarding settings were properly forwarding to my computers local IP address
      • run "cmd.exe" and then type "ipconfig". Find your IP from that list
    [*]
    • Make sure your firewall settings are open
    • Go to "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps"
    • On the left, click "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall"
    • Click "Change Settings"
    • Find "Remote Desktop" in the list and make sure both "Private" and "Public" is checked.

Let us know if this helps.

Thank you.

Credits to : Jace_Sango.

Akheel Ahmed, Jan 3, 2021
  4. Remote Desktop says I have Windows 10 Home when I've upgraded to Pro.

After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, Remote Desktop is not working

Hi Mayukh,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to run Built In troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Step 1: Please follow the steps below to run Built in Troubleshooter:

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search area on the taskbar.
    • Click on View all on the left panel of the Troubleshooting Windows.
    • Select Windows store Apps.
    • Follow the on screen instruction.
    Step 2: After running Troubleshooter follow the below steps.

• Type Remote Desktop in search bar.
    • Select Remote Desktop app and open it.
    • In the bottom you will see a button as Show Options.
    • Click on Show Options, you will see the options to enter your credentials.
    • Enter the credentials and click on Connect.
    • Check if it works.
    Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

Remote Desktop says I have Windows 10 Home when I've upgraded to Pro.

1. Remote Desktop says I have Windows 10 Home when I've upgraded to Pro. - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop says

2. Remote Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro: We just recently acquired a company that has about 150 computers running Windows 10 Home. We need to get them upgraded to Windows 10 Pro but most of them are in the field. We have the ability to push out scripts or, at least, log in to the machine remotely but would prefer a...
  3. Remote Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro: We just recently acquired a company that has about 150 computers running Windows 10 Home. We need to get them upgraded to Windows 10 Pro but most of them are in the field. We have the ability to push out scripts or, at least, log in to the machine remotely but would prefer a...
  4. Remote Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade failed - Computer says Home, Microsoft account says Pro,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade failed - Computer says Home, Microsoft account says Pro,...: As above.Dell Inspiron 15 5510Came with Windows 10 Home.Went into my account on the Microsoft website, selected the Dell device, went to upgrade by paying $99+Tax to go from Win 10 Home to Pro.The transaction went through Microsoft website now says my computer is Win 10 Pro...
  6. Access Credentials not accepted by laptop for Remote Desktop Home to Pro Upgrade

Access Credentials not accepted by laptop for Remote Desktop Home to Pro Upgrade: After reformatting a Dell laptop Inspiron 7548 with the latest 20H2 Windows 10, I was greeted with a Home version as the install never asked me which version to install. The install was a clean install and the old install was Pro. I was directed to the Microsoft store to...
  7. Remote Desktop on Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop on Windows 10 Home: My PC will not allow me to use Remote Desktop because I have windows 10 home. Due to COVID-19 I will be required to work from home remotely. How can I use Remote Desktop or is there an app that would allow me to remote log into my work pc? I'm very frustrated that home...
  8. Remote desktop for Windows 10 Home

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote desktop for Windows 10 Home: Is there a reliable remote desktop software from Microsoft for W10 home? I simply need something that will allow me to help out a elderly family member. Both of us are running W10 home....
  9. Remote Desktop not working after Home to Pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop not working after Home to Pro upgrade: Done the following: Enabled firewall. Turned off custom scaling. Disabled IPv6 Protocol. TermService is running (All remote services are running). Have I missed anything? EDIT: Found the problem, Control Panel > System > Advanced Settings > Remote > Remote Desktop > did not...
  10. Remote Desktop not working after Home to Pro upgrade

Remote Desktop not working after Home to Pro upgrade: Done the following: Enabled firewall. Turned off custom scaling. Disabled IPv6 Protocol. TermService is running (All remote services are running). Have I missed anything? EDIT: Found the problem, Control Panel > System > Advanced Settings > Remote > Remote Desktop > did not...