Windows 10: Remote Desktop will not connect after sleeping without restarting computer

Discus and support Remote Desktop will not connect after sleeping without restarting computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good afternoon, I remote into my work computer while I am working from home and have this intermittent issue, sometimes upon waking my home computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Delagato, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Delagato Win User

Remote Desktop will not connect after sleeping without restarting computer

Good afternoon,

I remote into my work computer while I am working from home and have this intermittent issue, sometimes upon waking my home computer from sleep, I am unable to RDP to my work computer unless I restart my home computer. Some additional information, the RDP process doesn't progress past the "Initiating remote Connection" status. To answer some of the questions that I have seen asked by moderators on other questions.

1. I do not have any other user accounts on my home computer besides my main account.

2. I am using Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.592

3. I am not running any antivirus software.

:)

Delagato, Feb 3, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

Remote Desktop - Remote Computer is Sleeping

Got a question that I could answer if I was at the office to try it... Trying to connect remotely to an HP desktop at work.

If the HP is in sleep mode, I can't remote into it. Here's the scenario: Couldn't remote into the HP... Called a co-worker he noticed is was in power saving mode & moved the mouse, it woke up. Then I was able to remote in.

Would "Wake on Lan" in BIOS allow me to wake up the computer through a remote desktop login request? Are there other settings?

EDIT: Both PC's on XP Pro 32

Sasqui, Feb 3, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

Kari, Feb 3, 2020
  4. kmc009 Win User

Can't restart a remote-connected desktop

I use Microsoft Remote Desktop to control to another cable-connected desktop.

This works find except I can't restart the computer remotely.

It happened when the computer went sleep and wake, then connect to the PC with Microsoft Remote Desktop and try to restart the PC by click the restart button at start menu directly. The PC stuck at black screen and didn't restart nor shutdown, basically
    uncontrollable.

I've tried to use a usb wifi stick rather than internet port and connect again, it went well and restart normally.

Please help me to resolve this problem, thanks.

kmc009, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Remote Desktop will not connect after sleeping without restarting computer - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop connect

2. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  3. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  4. ms remote desktop without internet connection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ms remote desktop without internet connection?: I want to use ms remote desktop to control a computer mounted on my remote telescope, but I have no internet connection. How? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-remote-desktop-without-internet-connection/f8d345d2-a82f-4896-8b0f-9e9c38707487
  5. ms remote desktop without internet connection?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms remote desktop without internet connection?: I want to use ms remote desktop to control a computer mounted on my remote telescope, but I have no internet connection. How? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-remote-desktop-without-internet-connection/f8d345d2-a82f-4896-8b0f-9e9c38707487
  6. ms remote desktop without internet connection?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Remote desktop connection automatically after restart?

Remote desktop connection automatically after restart?: After a restart (via a Remote Desktop Connection), is it possible to reestablish it, or does Windows 10 lock the Remote Desktop Connection after a restart until you have logged on locally at least once? Remotedesktopverbindung automatisch nach Neustart?
  8. Remote desktop and sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remote desktop and sleep.: Finally, after an upgrade to 1903, my laptop knows how to go to sleep on its own! The effect this could have on worldwide carbon emissions could be phenomenal given the number of Windows machines in the world. However, at work, I use my laptop from my desktop via Remote...
  9. Remote Desktop - Stay connected after restarting the remote

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop - Stay connected after restarting the remote: Hi All, I'm using Windows 10 Pro I'm using remote desktop to access my laptop from my PC. Sometimes I need to restart my laptop and I lose the remote connection. I then have to enter credentials again (password and laptop name) to access my laptop. My question is - Is...
  10. Remote Desktop Connection without password

Remote Desktop Connection without password: Do you think we will ever be able to do a remote desktop connection when the other computer has no password? Have two computer on same local network,will not let me connect because no password on other computer.I had no problems when the other computer was windows7? Has...