Windows 10: Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless

Discus and support Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I can't make the Remote Desktop works with my Microsoft account. It seems it does not work with Accounts that have passwordless option ON. Could you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MannyCalaveraBR, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless

I can't make the Remote Desktop works with my Microsoft account. It seems it does not work with Accounts that have passwordless option ON. Could you please confirm this information?

:)

MannyCalaveraBR, Feb 13, 2023

2. Remote Desktop with Microsoft Passwordless Account

Hello, I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, here to help you.

There are some fixes here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/quest...

https://superuser.com/questions/1693017/using-r...

https://superuser.com/questions/1715525/how-to-...

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsHelp/comments/p...

Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Greg Carmack - Veteran MVP - Volunteer Moderator, Feb 13, 2023
  3. Passwordless Sign-in for MS account

On my desktop running Win10, 22H2, OS build 19045.2364 I'm the admin of the local account with no user accts.

While I was reading one of Shawn's excellent tutorial's:
    Enable or Disable Passwordless Sign-in for Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10,
    I was hoping to find where to disable Passwordless Sign-in for MS accounts.

I have it enabled because the sign-in screen into my Microsoft account lists "other sign-in options" (or something to those words). I also verified in the registry and netplwiz that its enabled.

When selecting other sign-in options, a security key that I set up, first of all, disappeared all by itself recently. The security key is only one of two sign-in options for Passwordless sign-in that I ever set up. The other option was a Windows Hello PIN which I had up until this year but its no longer an option after I removed it myself.

So where the problem comes in is after the authentication option using a security key is re-added, it ends up disappearing after about 24 hours later. When that happens, it leaves zero Passwordless Sign-in options to use (Windows Hello PIN was removed by myself in June). But Passwordless Sign-In will still remain enabled even though I can't sign-in Passwordless with any options. I'm left with signing in by using 2-step verification processes that I've had.

Perhaps this is grasping at straws. I was thinking if there's a switch to disable Passwordless Sign-in to Microsoft Accounts that's turned off first, maybe then the security key can successfully be re-added permanently.

Jaguwaar20, Feb 13, 2023
  4. Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless

Remote Desktop with Microsoft Passwordless Account

Hello,

I got a question about MS Passwordless account. I've had it for couple of months and now that I need to use RD, it makes it impossible.

I've had problems with MS Accounts and RD, but it was fine refreshing the local password with:

runas /u:MicrosoftAccount\*** Email address is removed for privacy *** cmd.exe

The problem now is, well, my Microsoft account doesn't have a password. I've tried with my old ones - nothing, and with the temp one from MS Auth, but no results. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kaloyan

{ Kaloyan }, Feb 13, 2023
Thema:

Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless

1. Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop Microsoft

2. When will the remote desktop client support passwordless Microsoft accounts?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When will the remote desktop client support passwordless Microsoft accounts?: This page confirms it does not work yet:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-go-passwordless-with-your-microsoft-account-674ce301-3574-4387-a93d-916751764c43If the one time password from the authenticator app worked, that would be fine. Not essential to...
  3. When will the remote desktop client support passwordless Microsoft accounts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will the remote desktop client support passwordless Microsoft accounts?: This page confirms it does not work yet:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-go-passwordless-with-your-microsoft-account-674ce301-3574-4387-a93d-916751764c43If the one time password from the authenticator app worked, that would be fine. Not essential to...
  4. Passwordless Account with Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Passwordless Account with Remote Desktop: Hello,So, I have a passwordless account setup, and I am a big fan of it, but it seems to not be working with remote desktop. I even tried using an app password, but it does not work as well.Thanks in advance!...
  5. Passwordless Account with Remote Desktop

Passwordless Account with Remote Desktop: Hello,So, I have a passwordless account setup, and I am a big fan of it, but it seems to not be working with remote desktop. I even tried using an app password, but it does not work as well.Thanks in advance!...
  6. Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless: I can't make the Remote Desktop works with my Microsoft account. It seems it does not work with Accounts that have passwordless option ON. Could you please confirm this information?...
  7. Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless: I can't make the Remote Desktop works with my Microsoft account. It seems it does not work with Accounts that have passwordless option ON. Could you please confirm this information?...
  8. Remote Desktop with Microsoft Passwordless Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop with Microsoft Passwordless Account: Hello, I got a question about MS Passwordless account. I've had it for couple of months and now that I need to use RD, it makes it impossible. I've had problems with MS Accounts and RD, but it was fine refreshing the local password with:runas /u:MicrosoftAccount\*** Email...
  9. Remote Desktop with Microsoft Passwordless Account

Remote Desktop with Microsoft Passwordless Account: Hello, I got a question about MS Passwordless account. I've had it for couple of months and now that I need to use RD, it makes it impossible. I've had problems with MS Accounts and RD, but it was fine refreshing the local password with:runas /u:MicrosoftAccount\*** Email...
  10. Passwordless Account!!!

Passwordless Account!!!: Hello.On September 17, I read the news that it is possible to disable the password entry when entering the account, replacing it with a confirmation from the phone. The feature is called "Passwordless account". I followed the link in my account on the page to enable this...