Windows 10: Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials

Discus and support Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have read several questions on this forum about this and the moderator keeps referring people to the TechNet Forum. He says this forum is basically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DannyVee89, May 13, 2020.

1. Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials

I have read several questions on this forum about this and the moderator keeps referring people to the TechNet Forum. He says this forum is basically for home users, not pro users or something. Remote Desktop is part of Windows 10 Pro. It's advertised as a feature by MS. Nowhere does it say it's only for Enterprise use or IT pro's or any of that. RD is advertised for the average user to simply long in to home from their laptop or something.

I'm not an IT pro and I have nothing to do with Windows Server. That's all I saw on TechNet concerning this question. The answers there are all about IT people, office networks and Windows Server 2013. Those answers did not apply to my situation at all. With that out of the way here's the my situation:

I have two computers in my house, both with active internet connections. Laptop using Win10 Home and Desktop using Win10 PRO. Both have remote desktop software on them, and I've successfully used that to remote access my company computers to do work from home. What I am trying to do now, is to set up my personal desktop the one with Win10PRO, that I specifically paid alot extra for to have the RD feature to be remotely accessible by my laptop, whether my laptop is at home or I am away from home. In testing at home, while sitting in front of both computers with both of them on, I cannot seem to get the laptop to be able to access the desktop remotely no matter what. This is extremely frustrating and difficult. I type in the name of my desktop computer , and it 'connects' but then in prompts me to put in my password, and NOWWHERE on the planet, or the internet, does anything say what your remote desktop password is supposed to be. Is it your desktops computer password? the pin? your microsoft account password? I've tried every password Ive ever used in my life and nothing works.

Can you please start by breaking down for normal people how to set up remote desktop and what these login credentials are even supposed to be? I typed my computer name and it seemed to find it and connect but then my personal name popped up, and my microsoft account email popped up and it promted me for a password. What is the password its asking me for exactly?

:)

DannyVee89, May 13, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials

Hi Robert,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• Are you using a Microsoft account to login?
    • Was the user name changed at any point of time?

Meanwhile, you may try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Command prompt as an administrator on your local machine and type:
      gpedit.msc
    • Navigate to the following location:

Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Credentials Delegation
    • Click on ‘Allow Delegating Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication’
    • Enable the policy and click on ‘Show’ button in the options window below and enter the value
      ‘TERMSRV/*’ (without quotes) into the list. Apply the changes.
    • Do the same thing for the following policies:

Allow Delegating Saved Credentials

Allow Delegating Default Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication

Allow Delegating Default Credentials
    • Make sure that ‘Deny Delegating Saved Credentials’ is not enabled or does not contain ‘TERMSRV/*’ in the list
    • Close all windows, open a command prompt, and use
      ‘gpupdate /force’
      command to apply the policy directly.

Once the update is complete, reboot the machine and see if you can remote login.

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 13, 2020
  3. Remote Desktop not accepting credentials

I'm trying to connect to my desktop from my laptop using windows' Remote Desktop application.

I can connect from my desktop to my laptop - but not from the laptop to the desktop.

The issue is it will not accept my credentials giving me this message:

Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials 363745a7-d4f2-4088-b4ca-df2ff4cb3045?upload=true.png

TamarAl-Tahan, May 13, 2020
  4. Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials

Remote Desktop not accepting credentials

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while connecting to Remote Desktop Connection.

You may want to check this settings and then see if you are able to connect to Remote Desktop.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type sysdm.cpl and hit
      Enter.
    3. Now click on Remote tab
    4. Under Remote Desktop, click on the radio button
      Allow remote connections to this computer.
    5. Now check the box Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended)
    6. Click on Select Users and click on
      Add
    7. Enter the username and click on
      OK

8. Now click on OK and click on
      Apply

However, as you are using Remote Desktop Connection, we do have a dedicated forum where you should find support. Let me help you in pointing towards right direction, I would suggest you to post your query on

TechNet forums
    , where we have expertise and support professionals well equipped with the knowledge on Remote Desktop Connection to assist you with your query.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials

1. Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop won't

2. Remote Desktop login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop login: I use remote desktop frequently to access pcs on a lan. Using mixture of windows 10 and 11. When logging in remotely to a microsoft email account the rdp usually required the PIN not the password. I just set up a new win 11 pro and it requires the password when I log on to it...
  3. Remote Desktop login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop login: I use remote desktop frequently to access pcs on a lan. Using mixture of windows 10 and 11. When logging in remotely to a microsoft email account the rdp usually required the PIN not the password. I just set up a new win 11 pro and it requires the password when I log on to it...
  4. No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop: We have a computer that when ever some one tries to use Remote Desktop it opens a window that lets them know their credentials will be used, but gives no area to input credentials or accept. Simply the option to cancel. I have attached a screenshot. We checked Windows...
  5. Remote Desktop not accepting Office 365 Business Credentials to log in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote Desktop not accepting Office 365 Business Credentials to log in: Hi there, I have a client that has office 365 business running on his 5 computers onsite. He is trying to vpn and remote desktop into his computer. I have setup up the vpn so that part is taken care of, but the remote desktop is saying the office 365 business credentials are...
  6. The remote source won't accept the connection

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The remote source won't accept the connection: hey guys, I am a user of windows 10 pro. from last 3 to 4 months when I try to open YouTube in any browser google chrome, Microsoft edge , Mozilla Firefox etc. , it says that this site cannot be reached YouTube reused to connect. when troubleshoot the problem it came the the...
  7. login to desktop not accepted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    login to desktop not accepted: after win 10 update i am unable to login to access my desktop. I have never had a desktop log in and do not remember my skype login. I do not recall any microsoft log in information. Because of this I cannot access my email or files. thank you....
  8. Access Credentials not accepted by laptop for Remote Desktop Home to Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Access Credentials not accepted by laptop for Remote Desktop Home to Pro Upgrade: After reformatting a Dell laptop Inspiron 7548 with the latest 20H2 Windows 10, I was greeted with a Home version as the install never asked me which version to install. The install was a clean install and the old install was Pro. I was directed to the Microsoft store to...
  9. Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work": I reinstalled windows on my Desktop yesterday. I previously had a handy little shortcut on my desktop to allow me to access my laptops desktop via remote desktop. Of course this shortcut has now disappeared, so I tried to set it up again. Now, when I go to connect it asks...
  10. Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials: I have read several question on this forum about this and the moderator keeps referring people to the TechNet Forum. He says this forum is basically for home users, not pro users or something. Remote Desktop is part of Windows 10 Pro. It's advertised as a feature by MS....