Windows 10: Remote Desktop, "Your credentials did not work" / "The login attempt failed"

Discus and support Remote Desktop, "Your credentials did not work" / "The login attempt failed" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two PCs in my home at present, one is a laptop and the other is a desktop/tower. Both are fully up to date and running Windows 10 Professional.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CecilBritton, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Remote Desktop, "Your credentials did not work" / "The login attempt failed"

I have two PCs in my home at present, one is a laptop and the other is a desktop/tower. Both are fully up to date and running Windows 10 Professional. Both operate fine on their own accord, but I cannot get Remote Desktop to work between them. The laptop is operating on wireless and the desktop is connected to the same network as the laptop via ethernet. I am using Bit Defender Total Security for my network security needs.

For some reason I am unable to identify, both computers display "Some settings are managed by your organization" on the Remote Desktops settings under System settings. The slider in settings does show Remote Desktop as Enabled and the network is setup as Private. Also I am unable to get either computer to log onto the other using Remote Desktop. I am using my Microsoft @Outlook.com emai account for my login credentials but no matter how I try I always am told that my credentials are not correct. This has become a challenge that I'm unable to overcome. I have searched everywhere for days for a solution, can someone here give me a useful answer for this one?

:)

CecilBritton, Dec 15, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials

Hi Robert,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• Are you using a Microsoft account to login?
    • Was the user name changed at any point of time?

Meanwhile, you may try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Command prompt as an administrator on your local machine and type:
      gpedit.msc
    • Navigate to the following location:

Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Credentials Delegation
    • Click on ‘Allow Delegating Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication’
    • Enable the policy and click on ‘Show’ button in the options window below and enter the value
      ‘TERMSRV/*’ (without quotes) into the list. Apply the changes.
    • Do the same thing for the following policies:

Allow Delegating Saved Credentials

Allow Delegating Default Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication

Allow Delegating Default Credentials
    • Make sure that ‘Deny Delegating Saved Credentials’ is not enabled or does not contain ‘TERMSRV/*’ in the list
    • Close all windows, open a command prompt, and use
      ‘gpupdate /force’
      command to apply the policy directly.

Once the update is complete, reboot the machine and see if you can remote login.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Dec 15, 2020
  3. Remote Desktop Invalid Credentials

I'll start with pointing out that it's rare there's a problem I can't fix myself, but I've found one and I can't find a solution for it anywhere online. I'm good doing just about any technical things involved in fixing it.

Basically, I have my Surface Pro 2, physically using it works fine, but when I attempt to login remotely with Remote Desktop Connection, it connects, says my pre-entered username and password don't work, (which it should) so it asks for one, I've tried both
    my Microsoft Account (which I use to log in physically and remotely on my Desktop) and I've tried using the local credentials given to me by the Remote Desktop Assistant (which says everything's fine). No credentials work. To clarify, RDC does connect to the
    computer it just won't accept any credentials that I know are valid.

On a side note, I have on multiple occasions noted that, when logging in locally, sometimes a second account shows up in the lower left corner, with the same name. As though I have two accounts. I bought that might have something to do with the problem,
    like it thinks there's multiple accounts with the same credentials so it just fails to log in with those credentials. But that "ghost" account only shows up every once in a while and never shows up in the Accounts section of Settings or Control Panel.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but I've gotten rather annoyed with this issue and would rather not recount all the steps I've taken to attempt to resolve the issue. I'm willing to just do as told and return the results of any instructions in an attempt
    to fix the problem. I haven't tried a complete image backup and restore, I'd be willing to, though it'd be rather inconvenient and I don't think that would solve the problem, but if someone else does, I'll try it after trying some other things first.

Timothy Westman-Barth, Dec 15, 2020
  4. Remote Desktop, "Your credentials did not work" / "The login attempt failed"

Windows 10 Remote Desktop connection using Azure AD Credentials

My organization is running Windows 10 joined to Azure AD organization (completely cloud hosted, i.e. no on-prem Active Directory). I login to my PC with a username in the form of "username@organization.com" with no issues and have enabled Remote Desktop connections to this PC.

If I attempt to Remote Desktop from another PC on the LAN or from home, my credentials are always deemed invalid. If I attempt to login using a local account (via RDP) it works just fine.

Can anyone suggest why Azure AD credentials do not work over RDP or how to enable this feature?

Andrew Mahon, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

Remote Desktop, "Your credentials did not work" / "The login attempt failed"

1. Remote Desktop, "Your credentials did not work" / "The login attempt failed" - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop credentials

2. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work": I am trying to remote into a Windows 10 Pro desktop PC-A from Windows 11 Home laptop PC-B. Both of these are on the same network. PC-A has a local Admin account, PC-B has my Microsoft Account. I have enabled Remote Desktop on PC-A. I enter the name for PC-A in the name prompt...
  3. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work": I am trying to remote into a Windows 10 Pro desktop PC-A from Windows 11 Home laptop PC-B. Both of these are on the same network. PC-A has a local Admin account, PC-B has my Microsoft Account. I have enabled Remote Desktop on PC-A. I enter the name for PC-A in the name prompt...
  4. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work": So after searching I decided to post this question because all the solutions don't seem to reflect my situation.Before we start I want to preface a few things:All Microsoft Account Passwords are correct I've confirmed them by logging into to the respective MS accounts and...
  6. Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work": So after searching I decided to post this question because all the solutions don't seem to reflect my situation.Before we start I want to preface a few things:All Microsoft Account Passwords are correct I've confirmed them by logging into to the respective MS accounts and...
  7. Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work"

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  8. Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work: I can successfully RDP to the target computer from any computer with in the LAN. However, I get an error message of "Your credentials did not work" when I RDP from WAN. I know that my setup is working to the target computer but just that credentials entered is not...
  9. Remote Desktop Credentials Did Not Work

Remote Desktop Credentials Did Not Work: I am failing to get this to work. I have spent the past two hours googling solutions. I tried the ones I understood, none worked. Target PC is 192.168.0.9 Target PC microsoft account is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Target PC is win10 pro Remote PC microsoft...
  10. Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work"

Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work": I reinstalled windows on my Desktop yesterday. I previously had a handy little shortcut on my desktop to allow me to access my laptops desktop via remote desktop. Of course this shortcut has now disappeared, so I tried to set it up again. Now, when I go to connect it asks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. your credentials did not work