Windows 10: remote hard drive access

Discus and support remote hard drive access in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello; I replaced a hard drive in a laptop with a SSD cloned, it works fine. Bought a case for the drive removed, but when I connect it via usb, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by G_R, Feb 21, 2020.

1. G_R
    G_R Win User

remote hard drive access

Hello;

I replaced a hard drive in a laptop with a SSD cloned, it works fine. Bought a case for the drive removed, but when I connect it via usb, the drive powers up, and I get the icon showing a usb connection, but the drive doesn't show up in the tree.

I left the removed drive complete, wanted to retain it as is so that I could re-install at some point if necessary. Thought that certain critical files could be backed up on it so they would be there if it became necessary to re-install.

what's the trick? Or is it not possible to retain its original state and access as a normal portable hard drive. No problem accessing a normally configured remote drive.

:)

2. Steevo Win User

hijacked via remote network access

Sounds like you are the recipient of stolen goods. All of our work laptops have this feature where it locks the BIOS and hard disk remotely if stolen, misplaced, or after a certain number of failed access attempts to the data on the disk without the TPM key.

I would suggest returning it to wherever you bought or got it.

Steevo, Feb 21, 2020
  3. Location is not available F:/ is not accessible. Access is denied. External hard drive

Hi,

Most of the time, when your external hard drive shows that error message, it suggests that you don’t have the privilege of accessing to the disk partition. We need to get a permit to take ownership of the drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click your hard drive, then select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click Advanced, then select Edit.
    • On the Owner tab, modify the ownership of the specified account.
    • Click Apply, then OK.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Martin Bar, Feb 21, 2020
  4. remote hard drive access

Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 21, 2020
Thema:

remote hard drive access

1. remote hard drive access - Similar Threads - remote hard drive

2. Can't get access to remote Hard Drive...E\ is not accessible, access denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't get access to remote Hard Drive...E\ is not accessible, access denied: When I attach a WD My Passport device I get an error E\ is not accessible, access denied.....WD recommended I contact Microsoft....thanks in advance for any tips, Dave...
  3. Can't get access to remote Hard Drive...E\ is not accessible, access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get access to remote Hard Drive...E\ is not accessible, access denied: When I attach a WD My Passport device I get an error E\ is not accessible, access denied.....WD recommended I contact Microsoft....thanks in advance for any tips, Dave...
  4. Can't get access to remote Hard Drive...E\ is not accessible, access denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No access to hard drive

No access to hard drive: I have a windows 10 and a hard drive that I can not access. It shows on the computer, when I click on it, either it freezes or nothing happens. Ive tried update drive and unistall but nothing seems to work. I have even tried switching usp ports, nothing seem to fix the...
  6. Issue with accessing hard drive

Issue with accessing hard drive: I go to the Control panel where I can find my HD. However the Disk management shows that the HD Not Initialized, unallocated... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issue-with-accessing-hard-drive/6ac8c0d3-3297-48a2-9adb-0ddf3a410a4c
  7. Defraging a remote hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defraging a remote hard drive: After optimizing the remote hard drive, I get a prompt saying that it "needs optimization 17% fragmented." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defraging-a-remote-hard-drive/3edac645-c25a-467f-aee6-dd82d3dc7f4d
  8. External Hard Drive No Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...