Windows 10: Remote Internet Access to unattended computer or camera

Discus and support Remote Internet Access to unattended computer or camera in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For the last 15 years I have spent about half the time each year in another state but able to monitor my home situation via the internet and accessing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LarCrow2, Jun 18, 2020.

1. LarCrow2 Win User

Remote Internet Access to unattended computer or camera

For the last 15 years I have spent about half the time each year in another state but able to monitor my home situation via the internet and accessing my “unattended” home cameras and computer by simply using my 12 digit WAN address and with an unique 4 digit appended port number for each device in the format ofhttp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx. When my WAN IP had 4 fields of 3 digits and appended by my 4 digit port number my system worked OK. As of about 9 months ago that method no longer works and attempts result in the message “This site can’t be reached” and the suggested Network Diagnostic doesn’t show any cause. I have been using an up to date version of Windows 10 Home while at my home and out of state during the entire period.
    A couple of things are different now:

Time Warner went away and Spectrum showed up.

I was using a TP link Archer A9 router and am now using a Spectrum FAST 5280 router.

At some point I dropped my Cable TV and now just have internet and phone service.

My physical home address is the same but my WAN address has changed from a series of four 3 digit numbers to a series of three 2 digit numbers and a single 3 digit number.

Update1:

I thought I might have stumbled on the reason for my problem just by writing this summary. I thought that the 2 digit level WAN may not provide the granularity to find my home computer let alone my individual devices. Could that be the problem? If so why was I given this address after so many years of 3 digits? Why did I accept it? Why wasn’t I warned that could happen? What is required to get 12 digit resolution back?

Update2:

I intentionally went offsite and used my cellphone to access my home WAN IP from that different location. I appended the Port number for several of my cameras and got the same kind of message as I did went trying it at home. In assessing the web I find all sorts of sites that talk about how easy it is to accomplish what I’m trying to do but you have to change your home router to accept “remote” commands input by a simple selection in the router setup. Try as I might I cannot find any such choice in any portion of the Spectrum 5280 router or the T-link A9 router.

Update3

At various times I have seen reference to the need to use the Pro version of Windows 10 in order to access remote control. Is that a new requirement? I don’t have that feature in any of my computers?

Although I have never had to set up any special settings in the Firewall section of my computers to remotely connect I suppose that some new provisions in Windows 10 may now require that but I cannot find any place that specifies where and how to set that up and those that would seem to qualify are already set to do so.

I’m now 86 years old and this kind of thing is harder to diagnose. The out of state cycle may start again and I am still no further in finding a solution. What am I missing or overlooking?

:)

LarCrow2, Jun 18, 2020
  2. Ramon Imp Win User

remote camera access

Hello,

It appears that you're having issues accessing your camera from your Windows 10 PC. For us to effectively assist you with your concern, we would like to know the following:

• When did you start experiencing this problem?
    • Did you make any significant changes to your PC prior to the issue?
    • Do you also experience the same issue when connecting other devices to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the device to a different PC?
    • Have you taken any troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem?

Regards.

Ramon Imp, Jun 18, 2020
  3. SUB
    SuB Win User
    Is it possible to share internet connection via remote desktop?

RDP is not capable of Internet sharing, so you can't share Internet using RDP with standard applications. There are many way to share Internet from a Windows box to another one. I suggest you to use VPN. You should do following steps:

1. Run VPN Server on your server with unlimited internet access
    2. Connect to VPN server from your limited computer

4. Remote Internet Access to unattended computer or camera

Remote access

In this case, we suggest checking this
    link
    to learn more about using the Remote Desktop app. This article will guide you on how to remotely access a desktop PC or a mobile device. For additional troubleshooting can you also answer the following questions:

• Is your computer connected to a domain?
    • Are you receiving error messages when using
      the Remote Desktop app?

We will wait for your reply.

Jefferson Ore, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

Remote Internet Access to unattended computer or camera

1. Remote Internet Access to unattended computer or camera - Similar Threads - Remote Internet Access

2. how to to access device remotely from remote computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to to access device remotely from remote computer?: hello all i need help how to to access device remotely from remote computer?USB from remote computer to OBD2 interface to car. or Ethernet to OBD2like this...
  3. how to to access device remotely from remote computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to to access device remotely from remote computer?: hello all i need help how to to access device remotely from remote computer?USB from remote computer to OBD2 interface to car. or Ethernet to OBD2like this...
  4. Remote access of home computers or cameras

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote access of home computers or cameras: For the last 15 years I have spent about half the time each year in another state but able to monitor my home situation via the internet and accessing my “unattended” home cameras and computer by simply using my 12 digit WAN address and with an unique 4 digit appended port...
  5. help with remote desktop camera access win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    help with remote desktop camera access win10: Hi, I have win10 home on my laptop. Laptop camera works fine. Setup privacy and policy as per web articles. Setup remote desktop to access camera. Also fiddled with firewalls on both sides. No matter what, when I rdp into my work computer WIN10 pro, the work...
  6. Camera Access denied by Internet Browsers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Camera Access denied by Internet Browsers: My webcam is not available for Facebook Video Call. I tried even by giving access to other apps on settings. I searched online hoping to find some solutions. I made some changes even in regedit.exe still not working. Simply getting a message Hardware Access error with red...
  7. remote access my pc over the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remote access my pc over the internet: remote access my pc over the internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-access-my-pc-over-the-internet/910a7c32-c936-4c27-837f-8975a1cc5208
  8. unattended access history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unattended access history: I saw a blue icon with a cross in it and it says when opened Technical support unattended access history. does this mean someone hacked into my PC and has access?...
  9. Connected to internet unattended - safe?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Connected to internet unattended - safe?: I'm running 1607 windows 10 on one of my test machines and am aware of the Internet Off tool, but is there one which stops / blocks all internet activity if there's no activity for say more than 2 minutes? Zonealarm used to engage this lock on their products. Also, just...
  10. Accessing cameras w/ Internet Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Accessing cameras w/ Internet Explorer: Until I upgraded to Windows 10 I could access CCTV via the internet W/ Internet Explorer. I need to download an OCX file but windows won't allow it. 34708