Windows 10: Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around.

Discus and support Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external card reader and a few USB drives, and they are all stuck assigned to the same drive letters that Windows automatically assigned them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BitByte33_, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around.

I have an external card reader and a few USB drives, and they are all stuck assigned to the same drive letters that Windows automatically assigned them when first used. I have unplugged them all at one point or another without ejecting them from Windows, and though they all work without problems, it is somewhat concerning for me, as in the future, I may put another drive inside my computer, and there may be a conflict between an internal drive and removable media.

As an example, if I plug in USB drive #1, then USB drive #2, and then remove them both and reinsert them into the computer's USB ports in a different order, they still use the same drive letters from when I first activated the drives; including the card reader and its two slots. It may be because I have used the card reader wrong tried to rename an empty slot once LOL and broke a driver or registry key by doing so. I have the latest stable version of Windows 10 Update 1909, and I was wondering if there is any way to fix it without resetting/reinstalling the OS and wiping personal data? Thanks!

:)

BitByte33_, Mar 10, 2020

2. Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

if you want to assign new letters to the new drives and keep you current drive letters assigned like they are now i suggest you take a screenshot of pc so you can manually reassign the various drive letters. i have the following saved in a folder on my backup drive called post os install. hope this helps.

Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around. [​IMG]

fyi after fixing the drive letter assignments i hide the drive letters so everything lines up numerically and alphabetically

xXWhacerXx, Mar 10, 2020
  3. mrje1 Win User
    Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

Thank you for your help and assistance xXWhacerXx! If you can clarify this first, because I believe I saw a warning on this that by changing the drive letter can ruin other things that are mapped to it. I would like to not change the drive letters once they are assigned, but if you are not having any problems I guess that could be something that I saw wrong.

Also, do you think that having the drive letters as explained before and plugging in the other ones that had the same drive letter will overwrite the new ones or change them automatically?

mrje1, Mar 10, 2020
  4. Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around.

WD external drive letter change

Hi @WilliamSlessor!

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion with the external drive. What I would suggest is to go in Disk Management and try to reassign the letters on both drives with a third one, and then go back to the original letters. For instance - change the G:G: drive to
    M:, and then reassign it as G: again.

You can follow the steps described in this KB article:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=T1tsut

Hope this helps and let us know how it went.

MightyMiro_WD, Mar 10, 2020
Thema:

Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around.

1. Removable drives not automatically reassigned drive letters when unplugged and switch around. - Similar Threads - Removable drives automatically

2. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  3. Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot

Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot: For decades now I've been using USB ports on Windows computers to mount portable disk drives. While they are portable i.e., can be easily mounted on other computers they tend to remain on a given computer somewhat permanently. There are lots of reasons why it is desirable...
  4. Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments

Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments: RE: Dell Optplex 3020 Windows 10: Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 x64 Hi, Have a small problem and I am going in circles.. I was moving a HDD and the DVD drive around so that I could get the HDD on D and the DVD on any other letter (Needed D for something else that I could...
  5. Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments: RE: Dell Optplex 3020 Windows 10: Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 x64 Hi, Have a small problem and I am going in circles.. I was moving a HDD and the DVD drive around so that I could get the HDD on D and the DVD on any other letter (Needed D for something else that I could...
  6. Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned

Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned: I have many systems in house that have dual USB hdd docks. These normally have two drives installed. I have assigned specific drives letters via disk manager. However when another USB storage device is added the drive letters for the two active drives in the dock will...
  7. Win 10 mixes up hard drives and reassigns drive letters

Win 10 mixes up hard drives and reassigns drive letters: Got a problem using shared data disks with windows 10. Win10 insists on reassigning drive letters for my hard drives, I started off with : a 1 Tb drive as C: a 2Tb drive split into 2 volumes drives D: and E:, a further 1Tb drive as drive F:, a DVD drive as drive G:...
  8. Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?: Hey Everyone, Good day to all of you! I bought 2 new 3tb WD My Books that I will getting next week. First, the two that I have currently have a Drive letter of E and F. I am doing a wipe and a clean install of Windows 10 pro x64 once I get the new drives. After the wipe...
  9. Stuck in automatic repair loop (UPDATE: drive letters has switched)

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in automatic repair loop (UPDATE: drive letters has switched): ---- Update: My windows 10 won't boot. It seems like my windows installation is now located at drive D: (it used to be C:, which now seems to only contain a folder named Boot). I tried rebuilding my BCD according to this page:...
  10. Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10: How to: Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10 How to Remove a Drive Letter in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically assign an available drive letter to any connected internal and external storage devices. Windows progresses through the alphabet from A to Z...